NEW FTTP USER

Started by ReDGryphoN, May 08, 2016, 19:48:10

Previous topic - Next topic

ReDGryphoN

Hi All,

Having suffered with 2.5MB for over a decade and having waited 16 months from order  for the FTTP to come to my house. last Friday it happened.

I have opted for the 80MB pro package from IDNET

My question is this, what download speed should I be receiving as I am not getting above 40? and the variability in the speed is unbelievable.

Is there a training process for this or as it is an optical line direct to the house is this not needed?

I have been measuring the speeds constantly both wired and wireless and have yet to see it go over 40 and have seen it as low as 7?

Any ideas about this or what I should be doing about it?

I am using the Billion 8800NL supplied by IDNET

Regards

ReD
BILLION 8800NL USER FTTP

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau

Den

I'm sorry but I left idnet and moved to BT Infinity and get a constant 72MB. I wonder if it's the BT router that holds the line so well.
Mr Music Man.

Steve

He's no line Den , if it's FTTP it's fibre optic cable to the premises.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

I know nothing about FTTP but I thought 330/30Mbps was the theoretical advertised speed? 80Mbps down sounds more like FTTC and I would certainly expect to get consistently a lot more than 40Mbps. If it's going as long as 7Mbps I'd say you have a problem regardless of any line training period. Probably best to give support a call tomorrow morning :)
zap
--------------------

Lance

zap, the FTTP packages are shown here: http://www.idnet.net/data_products/fttp.php so whilst yes it tops out at 330 the 80/20 package is also available (and is the lowest I believe on FTTP that BTW offer).

I wonder if a setting somewhere is wrong. Take a look at this example from plusnet: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/FTTP-Speed/m-p/1073062
Lance
_____

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Lance on May 08, 2016, 22:30:32
zap, the FTTP packages are shown here: http://www.idnet.net/data_products/fttp.php so whilst yes it tops out at 330 the 80/20 package is also available (and is the lowest I believe on FTTP that BTW offer).

Thanks Lance, I didn't know IDNet were offering FTTP to be honest.
zap
--------------------

ReDGryphoN

Thanks for the replies,

I will contact IDNET today and get them to check which package I am just to be sure the package is in fact FTTP

No change on the download but upload is fairly constant at 20

ReD
BILLION 8800NL USER FTTP

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
Henry David Thoreau