Help, please! Awful phone & internet connection - quite sudden

Started by LinLin, Nov 28, 2016, 12:05:53

Previous topic - Next topic

LinLin

Hi, there,
Hoping someone can help. I've been with IDnet for years and never had a problem like this.

Today, suddenly, for the first time, for no apparent reason, there is so much static on my phone line that it is unusable. Phone calls have come in, and when I answer - static. I go to make a phone call- static. I cannot even hear a dial tone. I have two phones and they are both doing the same thing, including an old-style rotary dial that has no electronics.

Internet connection? If I log off wifi and then back on, I can get anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds connectivity. A full minute or two is a dream connection today.

I am in Scotland, between Inverness & Aberdeen.

I tried logging on to the BT-fon wifi that you have to pay for, just to see if I can connect to a different network, and I cannot.

What on earth can be happening, and what can I do about it?

Thank you,

Simon

You could call IDNet and ask them to test the line, but it sounds as though you have a line fault, which you will need to report to your phone provider.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

LinLin

Unfortunately, I cannot call them, because my phone isn't working.   :-\  It is all I can do to log on here, as it takes logging off and back on to wifi 3-10 times to get a minute or two of connectivity.

Isn't IDnet my phone provider? I thought they covered everything, phone & broadband.  ???  My package says they provide both.

This is very bad as I have a home-based business and am missing important calls.

Simon

Do you not have a mobile you can call them on?  If they are also your phone provider, then they will process the fault report for you, but assuming it's a BT line, BT will still need to investigate the fault.  IDNet will handle that for you, but you do need to get in touch with them somehow.  Do you have a neighbour who's phone you could possibly use?  The number is 0800 331 7000.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Wolfy

Quote from: LinLin on Nov 28, 2016, 13:20:39
Unfortunately, I cannot call them, because my phone isn't working.   :-\  It is all I can do to log on here, as it takes logging off and back on to wifi 3-10 times to get a minute or two of connectivity.
If you are still seeking help then you could send an email to:
  support <at> idnet.com
Include your landline phone number - they can pass on to BT.
I had a similar problem couple of years ago which turned out to be caused by squirrels chewing the line!  (Our telephone line runs through some trees on its way to the cabinet)

LinLin

The problem does persist, and Wolfy, it might well be caused by squirrels or mice. That's helpful to know you had a similar problem and what the cause was.

I was able to get internet access at a local shop to contact IDnet, so the request for an engineer has been sent.

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't