Low WiFi speed on one device

Started by Simon, Feb 07, 2018, 21:27:41

Previous topic - Next topic

nowster

The first time I saw a computer virus was on a Mac!

zappaDPJ

Quote from: nowster on Feb 09, 2018, 21:43:14
The first time I saw a computer virus was on a Mac!

The first time I saw a computer virus was on a 5¼-inch which was sent to me personally through the post. The virus was called 'AIDS' and at the time was considered to be the first PC virus. I was working in the NHS as an IT Manager and someone actually went to all the trouble of finding my details and sent me the disk. Unlike all the other numpties working in the NHS including my boss, I was extreamly suspicious and decided not to install it. They all did and this was the result: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS_(computer_virus)

Nothing major but at the time very few people were able to remove it. I still have the disk, accompanying letter and envelope somewhere. One day it'll find its way onto Ebay and I will be rich ;D
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

steve195527

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 09, 2018, 23:01:48
The first time I saw a computer virus was on a 5¼-inch which was sent to me personally through the post. The virus was called 'AIDS' and at the time was considered to be the first PC virus. I was working in the NHS as an IT Manager and someone actually went to all the trouble of finding my details and sent me the disk. Unlike all the other numpties working in the NHS including my boss, I was extreamly suspicious and decided not to install it. They all did and this was the result: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS_(computer_virus)

Nothing major but at the time very few people were able to remove it. I still have the disk, accompanying letter and envelope somewhere. One day it'll find its way onto Ebay and I will be rich ;D
think it was classed as the 1st ransomware virus not the 1st ever virus,think back a few months:-strange how history repeats re the nhs!

zappaDPJ

Quote from: steve195527 on Feb 10, 2018, 11:50:48
think it was classed as the 1st ransomware virus not the 1st ever virus,think back a few months:-strange how history repeats re the nhs!

There were no demands for money just a rather rude message displayed and a locked PC. I do recall it was considered serious enough for some organisation (I don't recall which) to issue a fix which also came on a 5¼-inch floppy.

For some reason the Wikipedia link above won't parse correctly. That I think is a 'feature' of SMF!
zap
--------------------

steve195527

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 10, 2018, 12:15:57
There were no demands for money just a rather rude message displayed and a locked PC. I do recall it was considered serious enough for some organisation (I don't recall which) to issue a fix which also came on a 5¼-inch floppy.

For some reason the Wikipedia link above won't parse correctly. That I think is a 'feature' of SMF!
I  remember it as demanding a ransom to rename the files back as was and was written (or released) by a guy linked to aids research with the money going to help people with aids out in Africa,I thought it was pretty ironic at the time as he could have just formed a charity(or am I thinking of the wrong virus?)

zappaDPJ

Quote from: steve195527 on Feb 11, 2018, 01:01:39
I  remember it as demanding a ransom to rename the files back as was and was written (or released) by a guy linked to aids research with the money going to help people with aids out in Africa,I thought it was pretty ironic at the time as he could have just formed a charity(or am I thinking of the wrong virus?)

Possibly although I'm not 100% sure. I actually managed to find the disk (as attached).
zap
--------------------

Clive

Gosh, stamps were only 20p back then!   ;D

Technical Ben

And the "kids doing it for the lolz" were willing to spend money and time on it? Wow!
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Simon, what make and model is your laptop and what make and model does Device Manager report the Wi-Fi hardware to be?

It seems to take an age for MS to update drivers on Windows update so I tend to look on the chip manufacturer sites unless it's an HP business machine which reject anything not signed by HP so I head to the HP site.

Simon

It's working fine now thanks, Mitch.  I updated the drivers and all has been well since. 
Simon.
--