Low WiFi speed on one device

Started by Simon, Feb 07, 2018, 21:27:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I am getting ridiculously low throughput speeds on my Windows 10 laptop.  Speedtest.net gives me a ping of 350ms, and download speeds of between 1 and 3Mbps.  This is on ADSL2+.  Sitting next to my laptop, with my phone on the same connection, the speeds are fine (ping 38ms, and download around 8Mbps, which is more like normal for my WiFi.  I've done lots of troubleshooting tests on the laptop, to no avail.  I've tried updating the WiFi driver, and it says it's already up to date.

I've rebooted the router, and re-established the network connection on the laptop, but this has still not helped.  I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  It's been trying to do a Windows Update, and has got to 2% downloaded in about an hour and a half. 

Any ideas?   :-\
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

I'd suggest a usb/cd live Linux test. If the problem persists in Linux... it's...

Blame Windows 10 Time!!!
(Sorry, I could not resist it!) :red:

At which point I'd look into the model, and if others have reported the problem. Windows 10 decides on the drivers, unless you really really really force it to stop and install the correct ones.
As for hardware faults, I've never seen an antenna fall off, but it is possible.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

I've just connected it via a cable, and it's fine, so it's definitely a WiFi fault.  How could you tell if an antenna has fallen off?  It's all internal.   :dunno:
Simon.
--

Simon

Installing Dell's own drivers seems to have rectified the issue.  Bloody Windows 10!!   :mad:
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

I can now tell you for a certainty the antenna did not fall out. (Guess how ;) )
You may find on the next reboot/update cycle the old/new/pink unicorn driver is re-installed. In which case hunting down the options to turn off automatic driver install might help.

Me... I just avoid Windows 10. ;)  :eek4:

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Feb 07, 2018, 22:39:01
Bloody Windows 10!!   :mad:

I've started having similar issues with my Ethernet network drivers on my main PC which results in Windows 10 booting with no network connection. The only thing that might fix it is a reboot. If I didn't have an SSD I would probably have lost the will to live by now ::)

zap
--------------------

Simon

I hate it with a vengeance.  All this "we" stuff just makes it even more bloody infuriating, and (ridiculously) I find myself trying to sabotage what "we" want to do until I am ready for "we" to do it.  If you defer updates, they will still get you in the end, because you can only defer them for a month, and then it will want to do them all at once, just out of spite.   :mad:
Simon.
--

sparky

I hate the thought of Windows 10. I don't like being told "what to do" and "when to do it"

I've always avoided the Apple (MacBook) route for the same reasons.

I'm still on Windows 7 with my main Home PC, but have Linux Mint 64 bit Mate 18.3 installed on a Dell Optiplex and it's brilliant. I've just about worked out replacements for most things except Skype, which appears notoriously bad on Linux at the moment.

W7 has until January 2020, but I'm hoping that by that time I will have at least dual boot on my main PC with Mint 19 (due in June) and that's the way that I will be heading. No more shelling out for anti-virus licenses either!  ;D

Technical Ben

Oh, being told what to do and when is fine... if it's not coming from a company that seems totally insane!  :laugh:

steve195527

the problems your having may be due to the fix Microsoft released to counter the meltdown and spectre chip problems,there was a release I read saying they had suspended it due to some issues for users,problem is they are criticised if they rush out a fix for a problem everyone seemed to panic over  if it causes some probs and they are damned if they do nothing!the fix seems to affect some av products which could I suppose cause networking issues

steve195527

Quote from: sparky on Feb 08, 2018, 11:21:03
I hate the thought of Windows 10. I don't like being told "what to do" and "when to do it"

I've always avoided the Apple (MacBook) route for the same reasons.

I'm still on Windows 7 with my main Home PC, but have Linux Mint 64 bit Mate 18.3 installed on a Dell Optiplex and it's brilliant. I've just about worked out replacements for most things except Skype, which appears notoriously bad on Linux at the moment.

W7 has until January 2020, but I'm hoping that by that time I will have at least dual boot on my main PC with Mint 19 (due in June) and that's the way that I will be heading. No more shelling out for anti-virus licenses either!  ;D
yep Linux is totally immune to viruses!!just like macs!!!I wonder where rootkits originated??,it wasn't window or unix(mac)

Simon

Now mine is taunting me with the Creators Update, which it claims to have downloaded, but is refusing to install.   :facepalm:
Simon.
--

Clive

How far is it getting before throwing in the towel Simon?  This is a common problem with the Creators Update and happened on two of my laptops.  They both came good eventually without having to install workarounds as I've had to do for previous updates. 

Simon

I am constantly thinking of wiping the laptop, and going back to Windows 7, which I actually had some control over.

I deliberately left the machine on all day, when I wasn't using it, so it could install the damned update, but clearly it's waiting, maliciously, until I actually need to use it, then it will grind to a halt for the update to install, and then will take about six hours to reboot.
Simon.
--

Clive

The current copy of Computer Active has a multipage article on Windows Updates.  You should be able to track one down but be quick because a new issue comes out next Wednesday.

Simon

I seem to have made a phantom post, as it's disappeared.   ::)

The laptop is now downloading the updates (again), so I intend to leave it on over night, and see if that pursuades it to install them.

I have CA on subscription, so have seen that article, but thanks, Clive. 
Simon.
--

talos

Quote from: Simon on Feb 08, 2018, 19:28:53
I am constantly thinking of wiping the laptop, and going back to Windows 7, which I actually had some control over.

I deliberately left the machine on all day, when I wasn't using it, so it could install the damned update, but clearly it's waiting, maliciously, until I actually need to use it, then it will grind to a halt for the update to install, and then will take about six hours to reboot.
I did, never looked back. Spent many frustrating hours trying to install 10 on a laptop, wound up with a dead laptop and even less hair :mad:

Simon

Problem is, Windows 7 will be killed off in a couple of years.  Where do we go from there?   :-\

My laptop has been on overnight, with the settings allowing it to reboot between 3am and 7am.  I've just got up at 8:30am, and it's asking for a reboot.   :slap:

However, it now seems to be doing something significant, so I will leave it on again today, and see what happens.   ::)
Simon.
--

Clive

That's what happened with my machines Simon.  Fingers crossed!   :fingers:

Technical Ben

Quote from: steve195527 on Feb 08, 2018, 17:56:43
yep Linux is totally immune to viruses!!just like macs!!!I wonder where rootkits originated??,it wasn't window or unix(mac)
No it is not, but the updates it gets protect it from the root, not "after the attack" as "virus scanners" do*. It's security by design in most instances. (I would assume it is also designed to move your home folder, and do a complete re-install if you get a virus in Linux to be extra safe, so again, no need for a scanner/remover)

*But turns out you can get them! :D https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php

steve195527

Quote from: Technical Ben on Feb 09, 2018, 11:37:28
No it is not, but the updates it gets protect it from the root, not "after the attack" as "virus scanners" do*. It's security by design in most instances. (I would assume it is also designed to move your home folder, and do a complete re-install if you get a virus in Linux to be extra safe, so again, no need for a scanner/remover)

*But turns out you can get them! :D https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php
the only os you can safely say doesn't need an av of some sort is the "linux" used on chromebooks,and that is only because you never actually install anything on them,it's all cloud based

Steve

Personally I'd download the full edition,write it to USB or DVD and start from scratch. I quite like Windows 10, I moved from MacOS in 2017 after 8 years as an Apple user and I've had very few issues since.
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: steve195527 on Feb 09, 2018, 15:27:32
the only os you can safely say doesn't need an av of some sort is the "linux" used on chromebooks,and that is only because you never actually install anything on them,it's all cloud based
Though the recent revelations on the Spectre and Meltdown Bug suggest even they would need an update to be safe (if running any i3 chips etc).

steve195527

Quote from: Steve on Feb 09, 2018, 18:58:56
Personally I'd download the full edition,write it to USB or DVD and start from scratch. I quite like Windows 10, I moved from MacOS in 2017 after 8 years as an Apple user and I've had very few issues since.
most os issues are caused by the user,and it doesn't matter which os you're referring to,nowadays they are all stable,the only thing windows has against it compared to others is it's popularity:-it's this popularity which leads the crooks etc to target windows with malware,why target a few Linux or macs when you can target loads of pcs running windows,a lot of which will not have any at all or any up to date security software