Traffic Priority

Started by dudwell, Feb 11, 2018, 19:13:28

Previous topic - Next topic

dudwell

Now I don't like to seem a cheapskate but on inspecting my IDNet invoices I see that I'm paying an additional £10 a month for Traffic Priority on top of my FTTC 40/2 £39.50/Month package. I'm sure I never asked for this extra.

I use the internet for everyday domestic purposes: entertainment (YouTube, TV on demand), information (news, weather, a couple of forums), shopping, banking. Nothing of a business nature and no gaming.

I live in a quiet country lane with 4 internet-connected neighbours, 800m from a small village exchange which is a satellite of a larger village exchange.

So how did it happen that I'm getting Traffic Priority and is it worthwhile?

jaydub

In my view, the higher prioritisation is unlikely to make any real difference.

In theory, if you are on a congested link it might, but in my experience (with a TTB based ISP) it didn't made a jot of a difference when I have paid for priority.

I would certainly suggest you call them to ask them why you are paying for Priority Traffic.

dudwell

I received a prompt response from Johnathan:-

Traffic priority is something predominantly used by businesses and gamers during peak hours to reduce response times or lag whilst using the connection.

Depending on what your usage and needs are, its probably something that you wouldn't notice much.

Needless to say I've asked for it to be taken off. I'll report in due course whether I notice any difference.