No internet

Started by mungo, May 02, 2018, 23:24:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Quote from: Bill on May 03, 2018, 08:04:09
Back to normal here now... certainly a hell of a coincidence if it's not Zen related, but don't see why it should be  ???
Maybe because so many area codes were effected it had a knock on effect, also many idnet FTTC users may be using Zen Backhaul on FTTC, I know I am but as to the rest who don't even have FTTC I have no idea. There was a post on the idnets site saying that maintenance last night may effect some connections though.  :dunno:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Bill

Quote from: Gary on May 03, 2018, 08:22:50There was a post on the idnets site saying that maintenance last night may effect some connections though.  :dunno:

I seldom look there... but looking through past RSS have had a couple of status notifications recently, but all they said was:

QuoteNotice of any Planned Engineering Works (PEW) or Major Services Outages (MSO) which may effect you are listed in the Notifications page of the Customer Portal as soon as we receive them.

Maybe I should have taken the hint :red:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on May 03, 2018, 08:37:20
Maybe I should have taken the hint :red:
It was late, Bill.  ;D

Ray

It was a Denial of Service attack according to a post on the Idnet Facebook page.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: Gary on May 03, 2018, 09:01:57
It was late, Bill.  ;D

I just took them as sort of general reminders of the notifications page... I'll remember in future that they carry an implication of:

"There's some PEW on the cards, go and have a look!"

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Quote from: Ray on May 03, 2018, 09:12:21
It was a Denial of Service attack according to a post on the Idnet Facebook page.

I love the typo-

QuoteOur automatic server protection systems were restarting the services which would then respond to queries for a few minuets before failing again.

Is this what's known as dancing around the problem?  ;D
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Ray

;D I missed that!!
Ray
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Ray on May 03, 2018, 09:12:21
Yep they posted on twitter about it.

'Our DNS resolvers experienced a denial of service attack last night between 2200 to 5:45 when service was restored. Our automatic systems were restarting the services which would then respond to queries for a few minutes before falling again. We are going to migrate one of the services to a different vendor platform today in order to mitigate the effect of such an attack in future. Sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused'

Gary

Quote from: Bill on May 03, 2018, 09:17:26
I love the typo-

Is this what's known as dancing around the problem?  ;D
;D

andrue

My router lost IPv6 at around 1am. I assumed it was just more silliness from it though. I have an 18 month old 8800 R2 with slightly out of date firmware and every couple of months it crashes at 3am UTC. I've got a newer model arriving next week because it's crashed three times this month already.

Clive

I had the same problem at 10 pm but it didn't affect my laptop or Kindle Fire HD.  My wife's iPad would not connect nor could we get iPlayer on the TV.  Not sure how it could affect some devices but not others.   :dunno:  I rebooted the router and deleted the network settings on the iPad but it made no difference.  Mrs Clive said it will be fine by morning and I told her not to be so ridiculous.   ;D  All the Brownie points I've earned this week have been deleted. 

Simon

It's as if someone meant that to happen.   :evil:
Simon.
--

andrue

Having thought about it some more I bet my router lost its connection then picked it up again (I wasn't using the net at that time) and failed to get IPv6 information. It always takes it a stupidly long time to login and sometimes fails to get IPv6 information at all. I'm hoping the new router addresses that issue as well as being more stable.

Clive

Quote from: Simon on May 03, 2018, 14:20:20
It's as if someone meant that to happen.   :evil:

I knew things were going too well for me.   :)

Bill

On Monday my UPS started beeping to tell me it needed a new battery (ordered), on Tuesday my kettle sprung a leak (fixed) and on on Wednesday the DNS went down (now OK)...

There's a saying that things go wrong in threes, I'm hoping it's true  :fingers:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on May 03, 2018, 15:23:43
There's a saying that things go wrong in threes, I'm hoping it's true  :fingers:

Ha! It is true. Three weeks ago my kitchen tap sprung a leak. Off I went to Screwfix buying like for like only to find I was left trying to couple a thread to a thread :facepalm: Two weeks ago the syphon failed on my toilet cistern. How hard can it be to change that? The answer; three attempts and a tube of silicone sealant ::) This week the dishwasher died. After a long fight with anti-tamper screws I managed to located a fault on the main circuit board only to find no one keeps stock of them any more :slap:
zap
--------------------

andrue

Quote from: Bill on May 03, 2018, 15:23:43
On Monday my UPS started beeping to tell me it needed a new battery (ordered), on Tuesday my kettle sprung a leak (fixed) and on on Wednesday the DNS went down (now OK)...

Oh today has been a bit of nightmare for me. By 10am I had been forced to reboot my work machine because Windows Explorer was refusing to open any windows and Task Manager was refusing to list any processes. Then I spent an hour dealing with an obscure Visual Studio issue. I'm off to play golf when I've posted that and I hope that at least goes well.

Simon

Quote from: andrue on May 03, 2018, 16:59:10
Oh today has been a bit of nightmare for me. By 10am I had been forced to reboot my work machine because Windows Explorer was refusing to open any windows and Task Manager was refusing to list any processes. Then I spent an hour dealing with an obscure Visual Studio issue. I'm off to play golf when I've posted that and I hope that at least goes well.

We were talking about threes.  Doesn't that make fore?    ;D
Simon.
--

andrue

Quote from: Simon on May 03, 2018, 17:13:43
Lol!

It wasn't too bad. A few dodgy holes but I think it was lack of concentration. Work has been busy and although it's been great fun I think my brain is getting tired. I'm not good enough at golf that I can play on automatic and that's pretty much what I was doing on a couple of holes.

Gary

Quote from: Simon on May 03, 2018, 17:13:43
:grn:

nowster

Another DNS service to try is 1.1.1.1 which has just been launched by content delivery network Cloudflare.

https://1.1.1.1/

Gary

Quote from: nowster on May 04, 2018, 12:19:48
Another DNS service to try is 1.1.1.1 which has just been launched by content delivery network Cloudflare.

https://1.1.1.1/
Its the CDN issue with third party DNS services that bothers me, if you don't have a server close by you can find streaming and downloads to be slower. I would rather use a VPN when needed and for my downloads and streaming I find IDNets DNS to be good and generally the fastest for me. Its always good to have options though.

Glenbuck

Just in case folks have a broadband problem Tuesday night this notice was on my IDNet dashboard when I logged in this evening. Apologies if you've already seen it and I have no idea if it is local to me or national:

2018-05-08 22:00:00: Planned Engineering Work

Engineering work scheduled between 2018-05-08 22:00:00 and 2018-05-08 23:00:00 may affect your broadband service.

Bill

Clive

Many thanks for the heads up!