No internet

Started by mungo, May 02, 2018, 23:24:52

Previous topic - Next topic

mungo

About 10 pm tonight,lost all internet on all our devices,router says I'm connected but devices say not.Was able to get online via VPN so does this mean that the IDNet servers are down? is it unusual to be able to connect via VPN when I can't connect in the normal way?I have rebooted and restarted router and it says all is ok.Starting to get a bit annoyed now. Thanks in advance

Bill

I've been getting DNS errors tonight, if I tell the Mac to use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8) it all works... presumably IDNet are having problems with their DNS servers.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

gyruss

I swapped my dns to google dns also and that is how i'm able to type this now.  Definitely not a local LAN issue.

Can ping the idnet dns addresses (both), its just not resolving ip's.

I lost internet somewhere around 10pm too.
Jase

Bill

Quote from: gyruss on May 02, 2018, 23:35:34
Can ping the idnet dns addresses (both), its just not resolving ip's.

Same here, I can ping anything provided I use an IP address not a domain name  :P

Don't know when it went down, I was watching telly.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

gyruss

:) same, i was watching a skyQ recording of the Blacklist :) got back to find the issue.. then went into the diagnostics of it :)
Jase

Gary

Zen are doing a huge amount of  maintenance tonight and it started at 10 PM my postcode is listed might be an idea to check yours to see if it is as well https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Bill

Quote from: Gary on May 02, 2018, 23:44:03
Zen are doing a huge amount of meetings tonight and it started at 10 PM my postcode is listed might be an idea to check yours to see if it is as well https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/

Good thought, but my exchange isn't on the list.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Very odd I'm using my phone to be on here not sure what's happening Bill.

Gary

Sorry for typos I keep getting kicked off with a server error

Bill

Quote from: Gary on May 02, 2018, 23:47:44
Very odd I'm using my phone to be on here not sure what's happening Bill.

Could be ther servers have gone down, or maybe being hit with a DDOS attack. They've just come second in tbb's "best ISP" list (link) so some idiot may have decided they're a good target  :'(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Can anyone get in contact with them to let them know if they already don't

Bill

Quote from: Gary on May 03, 2018, 00:00:03
Can anyone get in contact with them to let them know if they already don't

Your wish is my command... support are either all asleep or too busy to respond to the phone   ;)

edit- their RSS isn't working either!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on May 03, 2018, 00:06:25
Your wish is my command... support are either all asleep or too busy to respond to the phone   ;)

edit- their RSS isn't working either!
oh well will give support a quick kick myself but they may be swamped. I'm using my friends connection now most sites are fine but Idnet ones are slow to load. This is on plusnet.

Bill

Yeah. I've noticed that this site is slower than usual too.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Ahh support hold music is playing away  ;D

Gary

Support are aware of DNS issues no timeframe though

Bill

Fair enough, thanks.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Lost internet now orange light just came on where as it was white up until a few minutes ago

mungo

(logged in via VPN) Wow,didn't expect so many replies this time of night,thanks all,glad it's not just me and hope IDNet will have all sorted  later in the morning  :)

zappaDPJ

So... 3 hours and half a bottle of Islay malt later I've finally managed to get back on-line. It took me an hour just to work out that an iPhone will never fall back on any G if it finds a known WiFi connection no matter what state it's in. So yeah, it appears IDNet's DNS servers fell over at around 10.00pm and now I'm off to bed :stars: :wave:
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenbuck

I'd to login to the IDNet home page yesterday morning to add some email filters and there was a notice saying that there would be planned maintenance from 22.00 on 2nd May to, I think, 04.00 on 3rd May. They warned it may affect broadband services. I expected to see it also on IDNet Service Announcements section in this forum or even their Network Status page as I wanted to read more about what was being done but there was nothing. I've still no internet connection from them so switched over to 4G.   

Tried to login to IDNet Customer Dashboard to copy the notice over to the forum, but not surprisingly, it's not processing the request.

Bill 

robinc

Bit worrying - 05:45 and still down - Google DNS fortunately is working
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Gary

All back up running my end now seems like the Zen maintenance which was from 10 PM till 6 AM was about right. Or the DNS issue coincided who knows.  :dunno:

Bill

Back to normal here now... certainly a hell of a coincidence if it's not Zen related, but don't see why it should be  ???
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

I had the same trouble last night, but after rebooting the router a couple of times, I gave up and went to bed.  All seems OK this morning.  Shame they couldn't have pre-warned customers if this was planned maintenance.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.