slow speeds on new Windows 10 computer

Started by krysia, May 06, 2018, 13:40:20

Previous topic - Next topic

krysia

Just got a new desktop with Windows 10 and have been surprised by how slow it is - my router settings show my usual download speed of just over 10 MB and upload speed of 1.2 MB, but both the Which and the ThinkBroadband speed tests show about half, or less, of that.  Anyone else experiencing slow speeds despite routers showing higher ones, and is it a problem with IDNet or with my new computer?

Simon

It's quite possibly because it's new, and it's constantly downloading Windows Updates.  Windows 10 has no consideration for what you might want to do on your computer!

What I would suggest is to just leave it switched on for several hours (overnight?), and let it get all the updates it needs, after which, you should notice it runs more smoothly.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Are you using WiFi or ethernet to test the download speeds? if you are using Wifi the problem could be signal strength it's not uncommon for BB speeds to be lower when tested over WiFi.
Ray
--------------------

krysia

Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies.  I'm using ethernet, but have since realised what the problem probably is - we now have cloud backup via Livedrive.  It backed everything up on Wednesday, and as we haven't produced any new data since then, I assumed it wouldn't be running.  However, I just checked a while ago and saw that a backup was in progress - it said 13%.  I checked again sometime later, and it still says 13%, so  I'm not sure if backup starts only when I click the icon, or if it's running all the time, maybe backing everything up all over again every day?  If people have experience with Livedrive, advice appreciated!

Technical Ben

Not all new things are fast. :(

Is it a new 3 wheeled scooter or a new Ferrari?*

*PS, I deserve a Nobel prize, or Olympic medal or something... I'm dyslexic and just spelt Ferrari right first time! :D

Glad you figured it out though! One reason I turn off all auto things (except my pictures sync on dropbox) is because it will slow things down an not tell me!  :mad:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Unless you've bought a custom job such as Scan, Chillblast, or Mesh (there are others of course) the chances are it's been in a warehouse for quite a while since having the image loaded at the factory so you might have quite a few updates waiting unfortunately.

Every time you start Windows it will go off and look for updates as Microsoft views the O/S as a service rather than a product these days.

I'm going to be rather unpopular round these parts for saying this but I do understand the change to mandatory updates because a lot of people never installed them and that allowed stuff to spread across the 'net easily.

My advice would be to just leave it for a couple of hours to it's own devices, there's also the big April update being pushed out at the moment

Technical Ben

There is no excuse for mandatory updates that cannot be deactivated. Mandatory for unedited/consumer installs... but forced? It's the same as trying to force a car to go to an MOT/ECU update while travelling at 70 down a motorway.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

steve195527

you haven't got 2 firewalls running have you?new pc may have had a security suite installed by shop/supplier and if you have installed you chosen product without realising one is already installed you could have a conflict of sorts,if you haven't something may be corrupted in in your ipconfig try running a freeware app calledd winsock fix

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

krysia

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. The computer was customised by my excellent local shop, so it came with up-to-date Windows.  The problem was Livedrive - I hadn't realised that the first 'complete' referred to general folders or something and that it would then take several days to upload everything into them.  That's done now - and my helpful shop has also explained how I can pause the uploading when necessary.  I've also scheduled a once-a-day update rather than one every hour.

Simon

Simon.
--