DNS errors anyone?

Started by andrue, Sep 16, 2018, 20:46:46

Previous topic - Next topic

andrue

Anyone else having DNS errors tonight? Seems like every time I wake my laptop up it struggles to resolve IP addresses. Not had this issue before.

Simon

I've not been continuously online but I've not noticed any problems when I have been.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

mervl

Quote from: andrue on Sep 16, 2018, 20:46:46
Anyone else having DNS errors tonight? Seems like every time I wake my laptop up it struggles to resolve IP addresses. Not had this issue before.

Don't know about last night (as I wasn't online) but I have the issue intermittently on my landline internet on all connected equipment, through IDNet, usually late evening or early morning. Resolves itself after a few hours  though no other troubeshooting works, so I temporarily resort to smartphone 4G. It doesn't seem to correspond with planned work at the exchange, which seems to cause no trouble whatsoever, usually!

Perhaps try using Google's servers rather than those of IDNet? My one ancient Vista PC that doesn't use IDNet's nameserver does appear to work when everything else that goes through IDNet's doesn't. (It's one reason why I keep it going, as the most reliable!).

nowster

1.1.1.1 is another DNS server you could try. Or 1.0.0.1.

https://1.1.1.1/

Bill

Over the last few weeks I've occasionally seen Chrome displaying "Resolving Host" for longer periods than usual, and once I got something like "Couldn't get IP address" (reloading the page worked fine).

But it hasn't been frequent or severe enough to think about it being a DNS problem, I just put it down to one of those things that the internet does sometimes... maybe I was wrong, I'll keep a closer eye on it if it happens again.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

andrue

Seemed okay last night but just did it again. It might possibly be the laptop as I've known Windows 10 get a bit funny with wifi adaptors when coming out of standby.

nowster

Quote from: andrue on Sep 18, 2018, 19:33:20
Seemed okay last night but just did it again. It might possibly be the laptop as I've known Windows 10 get a bit funny with wifi adaptors when coming out of standby.
That's true of Linux, too. Lots of hardware doesn't like standby. Hibernate, yes; standby, no.

Gary

Oddly I noticed in my logs (could be spoofed) I had a Ascend kill attack on port 53 from 212.69.40.23, which one of IDNets DNS servers.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

camdave

For the past week or so web-sites which I use regularly and others have been very slow to load, even Gmail for example.

I use Ookla for speed tests which is connecting me to servers in Paris and Amsterdam today whereas it usually connects to the UK within 50 miles or so of Cambridge where I live.

As a precaution I have re-booted the router but that made no difference.  I normally have a rock solid connection of around 16.5 mb (ADSL2) and this too has suffered.

I am hoping this issue will sort itself out before too long.

Gary

Quote from: camdave on Sep 30, 2018, 09:35:19
For the past week or so web-sites which I use regularly and others have been very slow to load, even Gmail for example.

I use Ookla for speed tests which is connecting me to servers in Paris and Amsterdam today whereas it usually connects to the UK within 50 miles or so of Cambridge where I live.

As a precaution I have re-booted the router but that made no difference.  I normally have a rock solid connection of around 16.5 mb (ADSL2) and this too has suffered.

I am hoping this issue will sort itself out before too long.

Have to say I'm not seeing this myself and Ookla connects me to London. Saying that wemay be on a different backhaul provider, if it persists, try the cloudflare DNS servers, but I would report it to IDNet too.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on Sep 18, 2018, 10:12:22
Over the last few weeks I've occasionally seen Chrome displaying "Resolving Host" for longer periods than usual, and once I got something like "Couldn't get IP address" (reloading the page worked fine).

But it hasn't been frequent or severe enough to think about it being a DNS problem, I just put it down to one of those things that the internet does sometimes... maybe I was wrong, I'll keep a closer eye on it if it happens again.

I'm seeing the same thing. It generally only lasts a few seconds.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Oct 01, 2018, 19:07:35
I'm seeing the same thing. It generally only lasts a few seconds.

Yeah, it was never a real problem. It seems to have largely gone away now, to be replaced by "Establishing secure connection".

Which I don't think can be blamed on DNS  :-\
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6