Interesting and promising BT development?

Started by pazzaTgreat, Aug 01, 2006, 22:40:46

Previous topic - Next topic

pazzaTgreat

ADSL Guide points out some interesting 21CN developments here
Man cannot live by beer alone, but he has tried very hard on occasions.

Jeff

QuoteThere's much life left in the old copper dog yet

Back to square one then ;)

pazzaTgreat

Well - that could mean they are relying on VDSL which wouldn't be dreadful but not nearly as nice as FTTH.

Jeff

Twisted pair wires will only carry 25Mbps, PON on the other hand much, much more as some of the world are already enjoying ... dig it up, start again BT! ;)

pazzaTgreat

Quote from: Jeff on Aug 01, 2006, 23:07:31
Twisted pair wires will only carry 25Mbps, PON on the other hand much, much more as some of the world are already enjoying ... dig it up, start again BT! ;)

I very much agree with you m8 but ...

I feel I must point out this which suggests some use of VDSL2 would allow a large proportion of the populace to get 50-100Mbps and then around 25 futher out from these limits.  However, the top speeds will depend on the quality or otherwise of the copper cable.

IT doesn't matter a tinkers cuss what technology is in use to the home, however, if the current contention model is still employed so we all suddenly get given the ability to download HDTV in real time and then try it and choke the routers by all trying to hit them at once.

Jeff

QuoteHowever, the top speeds will depend on the quality or otherwise of the copper cable.

... can anything that`s been stuck under the ground for decades be brilliant? :) Not forgetting that a hell of a lot of people can`t get anywhere near the golden sync rate of 8192 on MaxDSL and the technology is still (apparently) plagued with problems, the current contention model, as you point out, playing a big part ;)

By the time any organisation in this land even seriously considers mobilising VDSL2, I fear that even PON will have been replaced with a technology that we don`t even read about as a pipe-dream yet ... but one would suspect that the technology is more likely to be based around PON, seeing as this is the chosen mode of the success stories globally.

Copper ... more usefull on the beat I reckon :D

pazzaTgreat

Quote from: Jeff on Aug 01, 2006, 23:53:33
Copper ... more usefull on the beat I reckon :D

:police: You've seen a beat copper lately? :police:

My, I don't think I've seen one of those beasts for nigh on 20 years up here.  :-*

I appreciate your networking sentiments, and also reckon that PON should be aiming to implement Gigabit ethernet to the premises at the very least if it is a *21st Century Network* but we all know that BT will try hard to keep it as a 1950's network

Jeff

In total agreement mate ... great to have you back indeed Paul, stick a wee dram in the bairns bottle so you can visit more often! :D

On that note, I`m offski ... take care :)