Movinh broadband supplier

Started by Broadback, Dec 06, 2018, 14:00:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I am seriously considering moving provider, I was with Idnet but moved to plus net some time ago. They gave excellent service up until recently, now they have put in new billing software, result chaos! where is a good place to get advice on selecting a replacement? TIA
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

Well, seeing as you've asked here, I'd recommend this lot:

https://www.idnet.net/
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sparky

Broadback

You are not biased by any chance are you?  :angel:
A few questions before I take the plunge: are calls to Idnet free? I see that there is a £50 ish charge for a router.  Could I use my present (Plusnet) one,if so would I get help on stetting it up? I have almost year's line rental still with Plusnet, is that of any use if I move? That will do for now, looking forward to replies. I am slow to make up my mind, but once I do I want it at once!   

nowster

IDNet has both an 0800 number and a real landline number.

The router is optional. You can use your existing router if you can change the settings. (If you're getting the same type of service, it'll usually just be a change of userid and password.)

The only complication would be if you're switched from OpenReach DSL to LLU, which might require slightly different settings. If you switch from ADSL to VDSL (FTTC: Fibre To The Cabinet) you will need a modem that's capable of doing it. If your current connection speed is over 20Mbps, you're on FTTC.

You can switch DSL provider independently of phone line provider (contract terms permitting), but many places will give you a slight discount if they run both.

nettech3286

Quote from: Broadback on Dec 07, 2018, 10:51:52Could I use my present (Plusnet) one
It depends which Plusnet router you have. If you have the Plusnet Hub One then the broadband username is locked to a Plusnet one (at least mine was so assume they are all the same).

Quotewould I get help on stetting it up?

From the the FAQ: "If you purchased your modem/router elsewhere the Support Team will endeavour to help you as much as possible but may need to refer you to the manufacturer." See https://www.idnet.com/support/faq.php

I migrated from Plusnet to IDNet a few months ago. IDNet are like a breath of fresh air - near-instant response to emails instead of waiting 5 days for Plusnet to even pick up your ticket or wait an hour in a queue. I'm paying more but it's worth every penny. I would recommend leaving Plusnet as soon as you can, but I won't because you should wait until they have sorted out all the issues with their billing system. I speak from experience as Plusnet sent the debt collectors after me even though my services had ended and I was fully paid up.

Broadback

Over the last several days I have sent emails to  Idnet and received, as yet, no reply. Have I upset them somehow or is there normally a slow response time? I sent a similar email to Zen and received a reply within hours. It worries me that if they are this slow to a sales query what are they like to technical problems? I have sent  with my trusted email program, using the form supplied on the website and Windows inbuilt mail, the last I am not sure of!

mungo

Broadback

That does not solve my problem of getting no reply from Idnet, I was seriously considering hee, but now am having second thoughts!

nowster

Usually they are very responsive on weekdays.

Incidentally, have you checked in your spam folder?

Broadback

Yes, I have a special folder set up where all spam gets transferred to, nowt!

Broadback

With reluctance I have decided to give Idnet a skip as I still have not received any response from them. Pity, but if they are this poor on contacting potential customers I would have no faith in them for support.  :'(

nowster

This is really odd as they've always been very responsive when I've contacted them.

Broadback

I sure you are being honest, however I can only speak as I find.

Simon

I believe Miriam has now replied to your enquiries.
Simon.
--

Broadback

Curioser and curiorser, it has yet to arrive!

nowster

Quote from: Broadback on Dec 10, 2018, 11:31:08
Curioser and curiorser, it has yet to arrive!
Is your email Hotmail or Live by any chance?  :evil:

Broadback

Simon

Have you checked your spam folder?  I can't really see why they would say they've replied if they haven't.
Simon.
--

Broadback

It took its time but it has arrived. Not very informative, sends me to an availability checker that does not work, for me anyway. I am sorry to say I give up!

nowster

It's probably wise to turn off ad blocker type browser plugins when using availability checker.

Broadback

Thanks Nowster, but I have spent too much time already on this so I give up. No sticking power, that has always been my trouble>  :blush:

Simon

I don't know what you were expecting them to say, but then I don't know what you actually asked.  The first stage of any possible migration is to check the availability of the service, and that's probably what they would ask any new customer to do.
Simon.
--