Thunderbird dictionary problem

Started by Broadback, Jan 17, 2019, 13:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I am trying to download the English/English dictionary. It seems to work fine with the option to place it directly into Thunderbird, but it never gets there. any ideas as to what I am doing wrong please?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

It's probably there, I think you need to select it in the Thunderbird settings.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Broadback

Simon, in the past I simply look in the spelling settings then select the dictionary I require. the only option there is American English, ugh!

Simon

Can you not download / enable other dictionaries from the settings screen?  I'm pretty sure that's how it used to work, but I haven't got access to it right at the moment.
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Postal

If you are on the Beta channel you will have seen that Thunderbird is going down the Firefox route and many add-ons no longer work.  I am now on v65.0build2 and lost my dictionary when the first v65.0 appeared.  The work-round is to download the equivalent Firefox dictionary which has already been modified to work with the updated core code.  v2.68 of this English (UK) dictionary can be found at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary-2/

Simon

Simon.
--

Broadback

from a simple to a very complex procedure!  :mad:

Postal

Quote from: Broadback on Jan 18, 2019, 08:38:08
from a simple to a very complex procedure!  :mad:

Presumably as a temporary measure while the addons are brought up to date by the various developers.  I may have misunderstood, but I believe that while Thunderbird is still flying under the Mozilla banner, it has been devolved by the powers-that-be at the Mozilla Foundation and is now a standalone operation with only a small handful of people actively involved.  It  looks like the communication between that group and the addon developers has not been effective leading to a number of addons dying and their future development being on hold until the way forward is clear.

It is not a good situation but I have a certain amount of sympathy with the small number left at Thunderbird who are scrabbling round trying to find funding so that they can keep their jobs while at the same time trying to develop the software in their charge.