Wi-Fi mesh systems

Started by Simon, Jan 24, 2019, 10:10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

More out of curiosity than from any real intention to purchase, I've been looking at these Wi-Fi mesh systems such as those available from BT and Google, and the thought struck me as to why we actually need devices such as these?   Why can't routers be designed to have more powerful Wi-Fi, so that additional devices aren't required to supply Wi-Fi throughout the average home?  If it's a question of Wi-Fi signal interference from adjacent properties, then how does this not affect the mesh systems?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

You're always better with wired links between access points and routers. Wireless mesh will (by its nature) have double (or more) latency of straight WiFi if you're using the repeater access point.

If there's no way of wiring to the extra location, putting a repeater in a place that gets good signal from the main access point (which may be within the router) and can provide good signal to the area you're trying to cover, might be a solution.

There are also regulations as to how powerful a signal you can emit on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Simon

As I said, I'm not really thinking of buying into mesh Wi-Fi, it was just I was curious as to why routers seems to be limited in range, but I guess that is so that they don't interfere with each other. 

So, what is difference between the mesh systems, and a plug-in Wi-Fi extender?  I currently have a BT Wi-Fi extender, and that seems to work perfectly within my property.
Simon.
--

nowster

I think the mesh systems may have the ability to communicate on different channels with the client than the one they use to communicate with the upstream AP. Extenders tend to use the same channel as the upstream AP for both. The other possibility is that mesh can do multiple hops to get back to the upstream AP whereas extenders can't (reliably).

Your plug-in extender might also be using power line networking to talk to the router.

My own home setup has two wired Unifi APs, and my router is a Linux box connected to the cable smarthub in modem mode. The local 2.4GHz band is very busy.

Simon

My extender (ooer!) isn't the Home Plug type.  It does plug into a power socket, but then I think it just picks up the Wi-Fi and bounces it further along.
Simon.
--

Glenn

Ask Den, he was on about BT Mesh systems before Xmas
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

In that case, they must be absolutely faultless.   ;)
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Den

Since I installed The Smarthub 2 with extra discs a few weeks ago I have got 100% signal all round my house (it's quite a large house).

All the Smart TVs have great signal even the one in the lounge which was the most difficult to get a signal to without using PowerLine adapters.

I even have a great signal in my garage so I am going to upgrade my CCTV to an WiFi one. One of the benefits is that when moving around the building with my iPad it automatically remains logged on without having to swop settings.   :laugh:
Mr Music Man.