Upgrading to Fibre due to start 3/10/19

Started by Lona, Sep 30, 2019, 19:37:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

Installed new reuter Billion 8800NL R2 and had instant access although adsl2. Couldn't get into the reuter using Admin Admin as directed. Phoned Idnet and they gave me a password code number.  I got in but it was all Greek to me.  I wanted to set up my wireless network connection like I did with my old reuter with a password for my other pc.  The only way I could network both PC's with using and ethernet cable and there doesn't seem to be any password so I hope everybody and their auntie hasn't access to my internet connection.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

Hi Lona, long time no see!  Hope you're well.  :)

I don't know if this will help, but there's a user guide for that router here:

https://www.idnet.net/support/guides/hardware/8800NLr2-manual.pdf

I'm not familiar with that router myself, but it should just be a matter of finding the Wireless settings.  If you go back into the configuration screens, most of it should have already been pre-configured by IDNet, so you need to look for the screen below.  It should come under Wireless or WAN in the menu.  Once you found that, you can change the password to the one you want.  Once you've entered the new password, and clicked Continue, the router should then be set up for Wireless, and you can connect your other devices by searching for the SSID on them and entering the password.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

Thanks Simon and thanks for asking how I'm keeping.  Getting older by the minute  ;D.

Went into reuter and got the wireless password but still no wireless. I can connect via ethernet, can't network both PC's. Connection is snails pace so I guess I'm not upgraded as yet.  Keep being disconnected. Last night I put back on my old netgear reuter and it worked a treat. Today Netgear reuter no longer connects so I assumed I was on Fibre.  Think I'll have to phone Idnet to see what's going on. :-\

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

I think phoning IDNet might be wise, but out of interest, did any of the devices you tried to connect wirelessly 'see' the router, ie, did they pick up the SSID?
Simon.
--

Lona

Update......................

I had no connection Friday and Saturday. Phoned Idnet on Saturday morning and FIRST support worker said he would have to consult a colleague and he would phone me back.  I waited until 3pm in the afternoon and no phonecall so phoned them back. SECOND support worker checked to see if I was upgraded to fibre and said I wasn't so said to connect via adsl with new reuter. Still no connection after he talked me through the settings and and decided it could be a faulty reuter and they might need to send me out another reuter, he also said he would phone me back within half an hour.  No phonecall came so I phoned a third time. THIRD support worker said I wasn't on fibre as yet but he was going to look into the problem and phone me back. Again no phonecall so I phoned again and the Fourth support worker was a female and said I was definitely on fibre. She talked me through the installation and still no connection. She also said she was going to talk to Openreach and get back to me.  She didn't call back.  By this time it was into Sunday and I phoned again. Fifth support worker said there was a fault on my line and nothing would happen until Monday when Idnet would contact Openreach to resolve the problem. He couldn't say if was their fault or Idnet's fault.  He apologised but said nothing would happen until Monday.

I sat all evening thinking about it and decided to have another go myself at setting up the reuter.  I took the reuter back to the factory settings, set it up via the book that came with the reuter and got a connection first time.

That takes us up to Monday when somebody from Idnet actually took the bother to phone me.  His name was Ryan Elgar and before I could tell him I had a connection he went on to say there was a fault on the line and he was arranging for an Openreach engineer to visit my home.  I assured him I had a connection although speeds weren't great. He said that's because there is a fault on my line.   I said to him that I had enquired before upgrading that no engineer would have to visit my home and muck about with wiring and I was assured that they don't need to do that now and it could all be done with the boxes outside. This is now Tuesday evening, no engineer has called at my house.

I have praised Idnet endless times to my friends and been with them for years but the service I received at the week-end was atrocious. Had all those support workers taken the bother to phone me back at least to say they couldn't help is very poor customer service.  It's sad that a 76 year old woman could do what they found too difficult. :o

Simon

Unfortunately, you would have got the out-of-hours team over the weekend, and I believe they can only offer limited technical support, but that's no excuse for promising and then failing to return phone calls.  I can only suggest that you try to phone during the week, if you have future issues, Lona, so that you get the actual IDNet support staff.

I hope things get sorted for you soon.
Simon.
--

Lona

Further update

Ryan Elgar who phoned on Monday said he would arrange a BT engineer to visit my home.  I waited until yesterday and phoned Idnet only to be told he hadn't bothered his *rse.  Support got right on it and engineer called today and fitted a faceplate to my telephone socket.  I just knew that was the problem but as the engineer said isp's never think to ask the customer and the number of times they have to be[/img] called in after the fibre connection fails is a regular occurrance.

Simon

Thanks for the update, Lona.  I'm glad it's sorted out now.
Simon.
--

nowster

I was wondering why a fibre connection would need a new faceplate, but then realised it must be the misnamed "fibre" that is FTTC/VDSL.

True fibre to the premises is a very different beast.