How long should a bcku[ take?

Started by Broadback, Sep 11, 2019, 12:35:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

My c: drive contains 662gb of data. I have backed up using, two different programs, to a 2Tb disc connected through the USB. Both taek a long time, well over 12 hours. Is this normal. Can I reduce the time?>
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Broadback

Perhaps I should add that the 2 programs are EaseUS todo and Paragon Backup and restore

nowster

At an uninterrupted continuous and optimistic 30MB/s, you're looking at a minimum of 6 hours to transfer 662GB. That's about par for the course for USB2. Also bear in mind that external drives tend to be slower than internal ones, regardless of whether they're USB2 or USB3.

If your drive is USB3, do make sure you connect it to a USB3 port (blue tang) on your computer.

Broadback

indeed, so why is it taking many hour more than that?  Is it just naff software, would I be better buying a reliable suite?

Ray

I'm using Macrium reflect and I can do a backup of 733Gb in 3hrs. 25mins. via a USB 3 connection to an external 2Tb Disk, are you using a USB 2 connection by any chance?
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

The first full backup will take longer than subsequent ones, which can either be incremental or differential, either of which should only backup files added or changed since the last backup.  There's lots of different websites which will explain the difference between differential and incremental backups, but you could start here:

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/1347703/Incremental-vs-differential-backup-A-comparison

If your backups are always taking up to 12 hours, then that would suggest that you are doing Full ones each time.  Of course, differential and incremental backups will only work when you're using the same software to do the full and subsequent backups.
Simon.
--

Broadback

I have decided to try a paid for Acronis, which I used many moons ago. It is predicting to be much quicker, about 8 hours instead of 14. How do I know which of my usb ports are 3.0? I've tried looking on the wbb site for the motherboard, but am simply confused by the information.

nowster

Quote from: Broadback on Sep 12, 2019, 09:52:07
I have decided to try a paid for Acronis, which I used many moons ago. It is predicting to be much quicker, about 8 hours instead of 14. How do I know which of my usb ports are 3.0? I've tried looking on the wbb site for the motherboard, but am simply confused by the information.
USB3 ports have a blue tang, whereas non USB3 ones have a black or yellow one.

Broadback

Sadly I can see either,even with a torch and magnifying glass.  :mad:

nowster

Quote from: Broadback on Sep 12, 2019, 12:13:56
Sadly I can see either,even with a torch and magnifying glass.  :mad:
It should be very obvious. It's a bright blue. Any other colour of USB port will be USB2.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Sep 12, 2019, 11:24:18
USB3 ports have a blue tang, whereas non USB3 ones have a black or yellow one.

Oh, wow!  I never realised that's what that means!
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Just to be clear, this is what you are looking for.

zap
--------------------

nowster

Yellow means it can still provide charge if the computer is turned off. (Assuming BIOS settings are set to allow this.)

gizmo71

Quote from: nowster on Sep 12, 2019, 12:46:23
It should be very obvious. It's a bright blue. Any other colour of USB port will be USB2.

The USB 3 standard only recommends that they be blue and labelled with "SS" for Super Speed; I've seen a few that are labelled but not blue and vice versa, so it may be worth looking more closely if you can't immediately locate a suitable port.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

robinc

Prediction and reality are two very different things

Other factors that come into play are the type of files being backed up. For example loads of small files will take longer than than a few large ones.

Fragmentation will increase the read time, the speed of the drive can also have an effect.

If you have antivirus running that will have an impact as well.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.