Annoying popup removal help please

Started by Broadback, Sep 30, 2019, 12:52:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

Recently (Google Chrome under windows 10) I am getting pop ups in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. They are mainly requests for dates with options of accept or reject. When rejected they open a window in Chrome, which I have to delete. No great deal but a PITA. How can I stop them please? also any idea as to why the have started?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

zappaDPJ

I'm afraid your PC has been infected with Malware. I'd start by downloading Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ and see what that finds.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Broadback

thank you Zappa, I have done that. It found one piece of malware which I have dealt with as suggested, now it is just a case of waiting to see if it stops popping up.  ;D

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

Broadback

Sad to say it has not fixed it. any more ideas anyone? :mad:

Simon

I honestly don't know how you keep getting these problems.  Do you have an up-to-date anti-virus product on the computer?  If so, I would suggest a full scan with that.

You could also try ADWCleaner which is now part of Malwarebytes, but I'd be surprised if it's found anything that the main program didn't find.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Simon.
--

Postal

Quote from: Broadback on Oct 01, 2019, 15:55:47
Sad to say it has not fixed it. any more ideas anyone? :mad:

As a belt and braces you might want to run the Malwarebytes scan again.  If it finds the same bit of malware then there is something you are doing or visiting which is injecting the malware into your system and which your existing defences are not handling.  If you have been re-infected it may be worth investing in the paid for version of Malwarebytes which should work in real time to stop the malware getting in to your system.

Broadback

Thanks for all the tips. I have ESET and it runs all the time. However I have started a full scan, willl see that is says. I tan Malware and t had the same dodgy program. I isolated as per instructions, but almost immediately got another pop up.  :bawl:

nowster

Sometimes you have to run MWB from Safe Mode (or whatever that is in recent Windows).

nettech3286

Have you checked the Extensions in Google Chrome?

Broadback

No, I am afraid I have no idea how to do that. :(

nettech3286

Chrome menu (3 dots, top-right) -> More Tools -> Extensions