IMAP query

Started by peasblossom, Dec 16, 2019, 14:56:31

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

My newest IDNet email account uses their IMAP server settings. This means all my emails stay on their server till I delete them and that means I end up using up storage space. Is there a way of managing this so I don't need to?

Simon

I have several IMAP accounts, and manage them by having identical POP3 accounts on my main computer, so that I can download the emails to that device and therefore remove them from the server.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

I do the same as Simon although I find it still takes a week or more before downloaded mail is deleted from the server. I can't say whether that's the same for everyone or something set by me but it's slightly irritating. 
zap
--------------------

Simon

In my email client, there's a tick box to 'leave mail on server for {x} days'.  Could that be the issue, Zap?
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Dec 16, 2019, 20:39:16
In my email client, there's a tick box to 'leave mail on server for {x} days'.  Could that be the issue, Zap?

It could well be, I'm using Outlook/Office356 and it has rather a lot of tick boxes. I'll make some time to take a look :)
zap
--------------------

nowster

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Dec 16, 2019, 21:19:19
It could well be, I'm using Outlook/Office356 ...
There's your problem. Your version is missing 9 days.  ;D

zappaDPJ

Quote from: nowster on Dec 17, 2019, 13:19:11
There's your problem. Your version is missing 9 days.  ;D

:lol:
zap
--------------------

andrue

I'd be a bit surprised if you only have IMAP access. IMAP is generally considered superior to POP3(*) but it'd be a strange email server that only supported IMAP. The two are not mutually exclusive and you can even access a mailbox by both methods from different devices - although that usually results in confusion. As for the issue of leaving emails on the server:

1)Either IDNet are incredibly stingy or the Op is receiving very large emails or a lot of email because it's hard to see storage mattering normally :)
2)If you don't want to keep an email then delete it. Most mail servers can be configured with an auto purge on the deleted mail folder.
3)If you do want to keep an email then create a folder on the server and copy it there.

https://www.doteasy.com/domain-email-and-website-hosting-articles/pop3-vs-imap-which-one-should-you-use

(*)IMAP is generally preferred because it makes it easier to keep multiple devices synchronised (ie; your phone shows your mailbox in the same state as your laptop or desktop).