Streaming issues

Started by zappaDPJ, Feb 26, 2020, 02:05:43

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

For the last month or two I've had streaming problems which are particularly bad while using BBC iPlayer and the rather dreadful ITV Hub.

Failure to start a stream, stalling mid stream and low resolution playback all suggest it's a bandwidth issue but I don't think this is the case. I have minimal packet loss and get around 43/17 from an 80/20 FTTP wired connection.

I'm really just wondering if anyone else is having problems.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

All streaming working fine here, Zap. BBC iplayer streamed Silent witness in 4K, I don't use ITV Hub that much but I have sky Q which has it and watched two of the new episodes of why is anyone left alive in Midsomer after so many murders  ;D As well the same duplicate services on my TV work too, so no issues here  :dunno:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

I don't watch BBC iPlayer a lot, but I don't recall having problems with it.  Usually I watch Netflix and have no trouble with that either.  I do get the occasional freeze while watching YouTube videos, but I just put that down to the app on the TV.  And I'm just on ADSL2+ with speeds of around 9-10Kbps
Simon.
--

Bill

No problems here, although I seldom use the ITV hub. Mostly iPlayer, Netflix or Prime, and 4K isn't a problem- speeds are 73/18 (single and multi-thread) on an FTTC 80/20 line.

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 26, 2020, 02:05:43I have minimal packet loss and get around 43/17 from an 80/20 FTTP wired connection.

Should that be FTTC?

And is the speed test done using single or multiple threads?

If it's single then the problem doesn't sound like bandwidth, but if it's multiple... 43Mbps shared over 6 or 8 threads is getting close to problem areas...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on Feb 26, 2020, 11:49:43
Should that be FTTC?

And is the speed test done using single or multiple threads?

It should be FTTC, wishful thinking on my part :)

I'm performing single thread tests. Last night I attempted to binge watch Torchwood on the BBC while we still have a licence! I gave up after a couple of episodes. Whatever the problem is, it's getting worse.
zap
--------------------

Bill

Odd. When I had it happen to me (back in the days of Zen's single thread woes) it showed up very emphatically on the speed tests... 43Mbps on an 80/20 line isn't too good, but it should be plenty to stream TV (especially the Beeb's idea of HD at 720  >:().

Only other thing I can think of- are you watching and doing the speed tests on the same device? If you're watching a smart TV but speed testing on a computer, then it could be a problem with the TV's networking subsystem... time to dive into the setup menu maybe?

Otherwise I'm stuck.

eta- or does the TV have a browser so you can run a speed test on it?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

I don't actually own a TV :blush:

It's mainly on my PC although I have tried the same stream on my iPad when there are problems with the same result. I'm not completely convinced the issue is connection related but I'm not sure what else it could be :dunno:
zap
--------------------

Bill

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 26, 2020, 22:00:27
I don't actually own a TV :blush:

It's mainly on my PC although I have tried the same stream on my iPad when there are problems with the same result. I'm not completely convinced the issue is connection related but I'm not sure what else it could be :dunno:

Ah, right  :)

Well, it doesn't seem likely to that the PC and iPad have come up with the same problem at the same time, ditto iPlayer and ITV Hub, so if you're right and it's not the connection then all that's left is the router/modem... got a spare?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

robinc

iPlayer - more bloomin buffers than the island of Sodor.

Maybe one day they'll add another USR 28800 modem and all will be well!

Whenever iPlayer stops and blames my connection, surprise surprise everything else works. ITV Player - OMG!!! Stuttering, stalling until the ads come on and then guess what - HiRes mind goo.....then back to the rubbish.

Don't blame your kit - blame the providers!
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

nowster

Silly question: are you using iDNet's DNS servers or those of a different third party? That sort of thing can affect content delivery networks used for streaming.

Bill

Quote from: nowster on Feb 27, 2020, 16:36:42
Silly question: are you using iDNet's DNS servers or those of a different third party? That sort of thing can affect content delivery networks used for streaming.

Don't see why that's a silly question :P

FWIW I'm using IDNet's servers.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on Feb 27, 2020, 09:32:22
got a spare?

Somewhere, up in the loft :-\

Silly question: are you using iDNet's DNS servers or those of a different third party?

Good question, I do recall switching to Google but I think I went back to IDNet. I'll check.
zap
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Having checked, my DNS settings are set to obtain the address automatically and the address I found listed elsewhere is 8.8.8.8 which I think is Google? I don't quite get that but I'll update the settings to use IDNet's servers later today.
zap
--------------------

nowster

8.8.8.8 is indeed Google.

What can happen if you use a DNS server other than your ISP's is that your streaming client gets directed to a CDN server which is closest to the DNS server you're using.

zappaDPJ

Thanks for all the advice and info. I'll add IDNet's servers and post back with the results if when I've found something worth watching :)
zap
--------------------

zappaDPJ

So far so good. Switching back to iDNet's DNS servers appears to have solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion, I doubt I'd have thought of it :karma:
zap
--------------------