Swapping packages

Started by peasblossom, Apr 09, 2020, 12:32:32

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

I'm doing more streaming now as I'm sure most of us are. (Disney+ subscription along with I don't know how many millions of others the key reason.) I'm on a 50GB limit which has been more than enough but might be a tiny bit less than I need. If I swap packages to an unlimited download deal, can I swap back as easily in a few months if I decide to?

Simon

I'm sure IDNet will be accommodating to customers needs in the current circumstances.  You may need to email them to downgrade your package, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

This is correct. In other news, I got a credit note. Not sure why but I'm not about to argue!!  :D

MisterW

I thought most ISPs were temporarily suspending data caps in the current circumstances.

nowster

Quote from: MisterW on Apr 14, 2020, 19:02:37
I thought most ISPs were temporarily suspending data caps in the current circumstances.
The bigger ones might be able to afford to do so, but the smaller ones still have the same overheads.

steve195527

Quote from: nowster on Apr 15, 2020, 21:04:43
The bigger ones might be able to afford to do so, but the smaller ones still have the same overheads.
all data caps are supposed to be removed by all isps,the govt is covering any costs involved

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/broadband-providers-to-lift-data-caps-during-covid-19-lockdown

nowster

peasblossom

As you noted earlier, nowster, IDNet are not a large ISP so I wasn't about to assume they would do this.

steve195527

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 23, 2020, 19:32:10
As you noted earlier, nowster, IDNet are not a large ISP so I wasn't about to assume they would do this.
Under the govt guidelines they are obliged to do it,it isn't a case of whether they want to, size of ISP or anything like that,ISP's have basically been told to do it

nowster

Quote from: steve195527 on Apr 24, 2020, 09:20:45
Under the govt guidelines they are obliged to do it,it isn't a case of whether they want to, size of ISP or anything like that,ISP's have basically been told to do it
What government guidelines/funding? There aren't/isn't any. I'd be happy to be disproved.

EE hasn't suddenly upped my 8GB/month mobile contract to unlimited, for instance.

zappaDPJ

My understanding is somewhere in-between. Going purely by what I've seen reported, major telecoms have struck an agreement to remove all data caps on current landline broadband services while mobile and fixed providers must offer 'generous' new packages.
zap
--------------------

steve195527

Quote from: nowster on Apr 24, 2020, 09:35:34
What government guidelines/funding? There aren't/isn't any. I'd be happy to be disproved.

EE hasn't suddenly upped my 8GB/month mobile contract to unlimited, for instance.
Just going off this and lots of similar articles,which states:-Now, the U.K. government has reached an agreement with telecommunications companies to lift all data allowance caps on broadband plans to ensure people can continue to use the internet during the pandemic,and EE are one of the mobile operators that are quoted all over the place has having increased mobile data allowances, maybe you need to contact them over it?(they are giving nhs staff unlimited data at mo)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/uk-internet-service-providers-lift-caps-on-broadband-data/

nowster

Quote from: steve195527 on Apr 25, 2020, 00:58:10
https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/uk-internet-service-providers-lift-caps-on-broadband-data/
That article is over three weeks old and is more speculation than fact. EE has definitely not offered extra anything to ordinary (non NHS) customers.

Gary

I picked up a nice special offer sim only package from EE its one of their smart sims, I get 60GB monthly, unlimited texts and calls and swappable benefits so I can have BT sports, a gamer pass, Music Data pass which included Apple music, amazon prime video, a video data pass or the ability to roam with data all over the world (not so useful right now) the data passes mean i can stream without touching the 60GB. Also I get their fastest connection rate which where I live is 120Mbps down and 30Mbos up on 4G (5G will take ages to get here) and all for £25 a month. I buy my phones outright from Apple, so its a good deal for my needs.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Given that we are not supposed to be going out, I'm not sure why anybody would want a huge data allowance for their phone at the moment.  I use mine all the time but it's connected to my home Wi-Fi, so I barely touch my data allowance with O2.
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Gary on Apr 25, 2020, 09:33:28
I picked up a nice special offer sim only package from EE...

It's more than twice what I'm currently paying EE and will have started the clock on a new 12 or 24 months contract. (Note that the contract allows them to increase the price by the RPI each year, but not reduce it if RPI drops. Sneaky trick to make staying on after contract expires be less appealing.)

There's no evidence that EE wouldn't have offered such a deal at this time anyway, lockdown or no lockdown. I've been keeping track of their prices/plans for a while. Their magic deal of the month usually works out around the £25/month figure.

Den

BT has just made all my calls from my landline to mobile phones free of charge.  :D
Mr Music Man.

nowster

Quote from: Den on Apr 25, 2020, 16:40:20
BT has just made all my calls from my landline to mobile phones free of charge.  :D
That probably costs them the back end of diddly squat.

steve195527

Quote from: nowster on Apr 25, 2020, 13:33:31
It's more than twice what I'm currently paying EE and will have started the clock on a new 12 or 24 months contract. (Note that the contract allows them to increase the price by the RPI each year, but not reduce it if RPI drops. Sneaky trick to make staying on after contract expires be less appealing.)

There's no evidence that EE wouldn't have offered such a deal at this time anyway, lockdown or no lockdown. I've been keeping track of their prices/plans for a while. Their magic deal of the month usually works out around the £25/month figure.
giffgaff which uses O2 network are offering an 80gb unlimited texts unlimited calls package for £20/month,with no contract,just leave or threaten to leave,you will be amazed at what deals they can find to keep users

Gary

Quote from: Den on Apr 25, 2020, 16:40:20
Quote from: nowster on Apr 25, 2020, 13:33:31

Im on a 30 day rolling now as its well over the end of contract period, I'm happy with what I get. and I like streaming music to my home speakers for free. I would never lock myself into a new 12/24 month contract let alone buy a phone off EE. O2 have a great 100GB tariff but without the extras, for £20 Sim only but they also put the price up by RPI too. I find it better to buy a phone and look for sim only deals that suit your needs. When lockdown is over I'll hopefully be visiting my partner in Cedar Rapids and then the use of my data in the USA is really useful, she comes over here twice a year and we are planning on my settling and marrying her over there, but lock down has halted that for now. Americans get rubbish internet but great unlimited data packages cheaply.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Good luck for the future, when it happens, Gary.  :thumb:
Simon.
--