Windows Audio Problem

Started by Simon, Apr 11, 2020, 00:23:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Yesterday, I fired up my Windows 10 laptop as usual, but after a while I noticed that the sound was not working and there was a red x by the speaker icon in the system tray.

I did a quick Google and it seems this is a common problem, but none of the solutions I have found so far have worked.

I went into the Services screen and found that the Windows Audio service had not started, and refused to do so, so again following advice on Google, I checked the Log On tab and found that it was set to require a password.  I changed this to log on using the Local Account, and Windows Audio then started, but even after a reboot, still no sound.  I was also getting error messages from iTunes and Adobe Audition saying that a problem exists with the windows audio service.

I've updated the sound card drivers, and also reinstalled the sound card and speakers through Device Manager.  I've even done a System Restore to a point where I think the audio was still working, but nothing seem to have fixed the issue.  I've tried connecting Bluetooth headphones, and still get the error message about Windows audio service, so I don't think it's the speakers that are the problem.

Any ideas?

I can post some screenshots of the error messages tomorrow, but I can't be arsed to start it all up again now.    ;D
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

Burn this to a DVD and boot off the DVD to see if it sees your sound hardware, to eliminate whether it's a hardware problem. It's a "live CD" so doesn't touch your hard drive unless you ask it to. It can also be booted from on a USB memory stick if written to it in raw mode.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.3.0-amd64-xfce.iso

It's always useful to have a Live CD in your toolbox.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Apr 11, 2020, 10:39:13
Burn this to a DVD and boot off the DVD to see if it sees your sound hardware, to eliminate whether it's a hardware problem. It's a "live CD" so doesn't touch your hard drive unless you ask it to. It can also be booted from on a USB memory stick if written to it in raw mode.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.3.0-amd64-xfce.iso

It's always useful to have a Live CD in your toolbox.

Thanks.  I might still use that, but at the moment, having exhausted lots of other trial solutions, I'm now doing a full restoration from a backup, which is likely to take a few hours.  Hopefully that will sort it.

The problem also existed when trying to use Bluetooth headphones, as I was getting the message 'Audio service is not running', so I assumed from that that it isn't a hardware issue.
Simon.
--

Simon

Sorted with the restore.   So, it must have been effing Windows Updates.    >:(
Simon.
--