Is it time

Started by Lona, Sep 06, 2020, 20:20:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

Just got next years billing in from Idnet. I'm on standard fibre to cabinet package including phoneline.  £50 per month to me is a bit excessive and wonder is it time I moved on. I only do email and online shopping. Not on PC every day so wonder should I think about searching for a good but cheaper provider. I have loved being with Idnet but the charges just seem to go up and up.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

nowster

If your needs are very low, perhaps a mobile-based provider might be the answer?

Currently, Smarty (a Three subsidiary) are doing 30GB for £10/month. It's a pre-pay (PayPal or credit/debit card) rolling monthly contract.

Partner that with a suitable 4G USB dongle at about £40 one-off, and you're probably satisfied.

My parents' broadband is unusable at the moment due to some dead kit (lightning damage), and I've got them up and running temporarily on such a package on 3G, as I'm not currently able to visit them as I live in Greater Manchester.  :rant2:

robinc

Well, you could drop to the Superfast Basic which would save a few quid.
I just have the basic phone line and no calls package - use mobile when possible.

Yes it is a bit pricey, but the alternatives are just too awful to contemplate these days.........
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Lona

Quote from: nowster on Sep 06, 2020, 20:42:08
If your needs are very low, perhaps a mobile-based provider might be the answer?

Currently, Smarty (a Three subsidiary) are doing 30GB for £10/month. It's a pre-pay (PayPal or credit/debit card) rolling monthly contract.

Partner that with a suitable 4G USB dongle at about £40 one-off, and you're probably satisfied.

My parents' broadband is unusable at the moment due to some dead kit (lightning damage), and I've got them up and running temporarily on such a package on 3G, as I'm not currently able to visit them as I live in Greater Manchester.  :rant2:
I don't have an iphone lol

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Lona

Quote from: robinc on Sep 07, 2020, 06:42:39
Well, you could drop to the Superfast Basic which would save a few quid.
I just have the basic phone line and no calls package - use mobile when possible.

Yes it is a bit pricey, but the alternatives are just too awful to contemplate these days.........
I don't have a mobile phone package and am never off my  land line lol

nowster

Quote from: Lona on Sep 07, 2020, 21:44:09
I don't have an iphone lol
You don't need a phone or need to bother with using the calls/texts part of the mobile service.

You get a USB dongle like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011BRKPLE/

put the SIM card in it, and plug it into the computer. Computer sees it as a USB network card and "just works".

The hardest part is to get the SIM the right way round in the slot in the dongle.

Technical Ben

Quote from: nowster on Sep 06, 2020, 20:42:08

I'm with Smarty for my mobile internet, as I dropped the landline all together now (internet is fine, just gaming is a bit of a no go now :( ). £20 for unlimited internet! The use 3s backhual.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

robinc

Quoteall together now (internet is fine, just gaming is a bit of a no go now)

Needs a bit more rhythm if it's going to catch on.... :)x
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.