IDNet E-mail

Started by Clive, Sep 16, 2020, 16:07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

Although I've been with IDNet for more than ten years I'm still using my old BTInternet e-mail account which is not only full of scam spam but is increasingly problematic with missing mail, missing address book and outages.  They also charge me £7.50 a month for the privilege of using a third rate service.  How straightforward is IDNet mail and could I transfer all my BT mail and addresses over?  I would need two accounts, one each for myself and Mrs Clive.

Simon

IDNet email accounts are perfectly straightforward to setup, but I guess transferring data from the BT account would depend how it's stored and where.  If you use a desktop email client, then presumably all of your email addresses would be stored within that.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

BT mail is a POP3 account and I don't use a desktop client  but Mrs Clive uses Thunderbird.  I would probably have to e-mail them from BT to IDNet. 

Simon

If you wanted to save the emails, I think that's probably the only way.  Does BT Mail have an export tool for contacts?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

robinc

Although clunky, what you might be able to do is access your BT via Tbird and save everything to a local file via POP

Then connect to IDNet, copy the messages to the inbox folder and then carry on just using webmail access if that's what you need.

Just to play devil's advocate - consider a third party such as gmail then in the possible off-chance you decide to move on from IDNet you will not have the same problem again.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Clive

Thanks Robin.  I already have a gmail account that I rarely use so perhaps it might be worthwhile resurrecting it. 

Clive

I've managed to get very similar e-mail addresses to the BT ones but without the embarrassing @btinternet.com at the end.   :thumb:

robinc

:)

As a matter of no interest I've been having a bear of a time sending links to people with btinternet addresses. Emails just fall off a cliff - vanish - never arrive.

Tried with .cc .bcc, normal address - just nada!

Via gmail - yup that works.

Yay BT Internet!
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Clive

This is why I am determined to dump them.  My address book has been corrupted and mail can take a week to arrive.  ::)