synce problems caused by faulty washing machine

Started by john7, Oct 19, 2020, 11:18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

john7

There may be nothing that can be done but I have a line that was synced at high 60 to low 70Mb and a SNR of 5 up and down. Before I moved to IDNet our washing machine developed a fault that tripped the mains. In working out what had done it this ended with about 4-5 more mains trips. Of cause the result was the SNR went  up to 6 and the synced speed down went down to low 60's and up from 20 to just under 20. This was some months ago and even after the change to IDNet nothing has changed with the link. It wasn't a problem before as Eclipse was capping our line but now I am on a 80/20 and the since and speeds are  lower than the line is supposed to support.
The other thing that the change to IDNet resulted in is with up speed tests with thinkbradband my speed went down by 3-4Mb. Mr Saffron   says this is a real drop and the other speed tests are over reporting my up speed as they are testing near to what I had under Eclipse.
These may be interrelated problem? But is there any way of getting the old synced speeds back? I contacted IDNet support last week but I suspect its not a very high priority at present.

Simon

Not sure about fibre, but they used to be able to 'reset' the old ADSL (or, ask BT to do so, I think).  If you've not heard anything since last week, it might be worth giving them a prod.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

robinc

A lot depends on your domestic wiring setup here. If you have a recent fuse box you should have either pop button or flip switch circuit breakers (RCD). You don't say whether it was one of those that tripped - or the main supply breaker.

If the RCD was being tripped it may be that it took a bit of a hit and is creating noise. A qualified electrician would be able to test/check the system to see if that was the case and also perhaps check the main breaker as well in case it got a bit fizzled.

Just a thought anyway...
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

john7

It was the RCD that triped, the utility room is on the same ring as the router/modem. I have also contacted support again.

john7

I had a support response and not too impressed. They say my speeds are as good as I will get on the sync speeded I have ignoring that the sync speeds were affected by the washing machine causing multiple mains trips and the sync speed being reduced as a result which was nearly 6 weeks ago. They also ignored the lowere up speed than I had befor changing to IDNet.
These up speeds are several Mb lower
The upspeeds  from a number of tests in the daya before changing over
17.77 Mbps
17.99 Mbps
18.60 Mbps
18.78 Mbps

And the speeds in days since

15.67 Mbps
12.88 Mbps
11.77 Mbps
13.94 Mbps

john7

Im told "The sync speed can only be reset if it is being limited by the profile but the profile for your line is uncapped at 80Mbps so is not a limiting factor, there is nothing on the line that can be reset."?

robinc

Quote from: john7 on Oct 19, 2020, 16:36:31
It was the RCD that triped, the utility room is on the same ring as the router/modem. I have also contacted support again.

Given this - and what you say later - it is just possible that there is something on that circuit that is now causing a bit of noise. You don't mention it so I guess your mains for the router is not on a surge arrestor?

May I suggest that one evening you power down the router fairly early, connect to a different ring somehow and then power up the router next morning.  Give it a few hours and see what happens. Just trying to eliminate the local factors.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

john7

Thanks the monitering doesn't show much in the way of noise. I have a working Belkin surgemaster between them and the socket.

Support look to be saying SNR comes from the Sync profile rather than the other way round. As I understand it its the Sync that is effected by SNR.

nowster

If you have a portable medium wave (AM) radio and can tune it between stations at a frequency somewhere around 650kHz, walk around your house and look for things that make it buzz. Things that do that are usually a source of interference to your DSL connection, especially if they're close to the phone wiring or the modem itself.

john7

Thanks, the modem is plugged direct into the master socket (with an exterior wall between!)and the only sources of noise, utility room at other end of house and kitchen other side of the wall at other end side of exterior wall, TV etc.  and phone behind a block wall and near other end  of house. I went through all this in my last house when we were told it was a problem on our side. It turned out there was a very old and in need or replacement mains BT cabling that was the problem. My son who is an electronics engineer/programmer went through with me what to do. But the main point is until the power problem my SNR was 5 and had been for well over 18months with a resulting higher but unused download speed. An Openreach engineer found no problems here when he came (and as usual had a good look round to see if the buck could be passed onto my setup(and fitted a new master socket in place of the old unfiltered one)). The problem is as I understand it once the SNR does down it can be difficult to get it moved back up (as it doesn't usually do so on its own very often) and that is looking to be the problem now with Idnet support putting the SNR down to the sync speed rather than the other way round.

john7

In the last 3 days the up speed has returned to the speed under Eclipse on tests a different times of the day. No sign of changes on the sync speed so why this has now changed I have no idea.