iDNET to Migrate Entire UK Phone Network to All-IP with BT

Started by sparky, Nov 24, 2020, 11:27:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

No worries Stan.  In most cases people will simply be given a ready configured phone setup which is what iDNet will be doing.  You'll get the phones, plug them in and it should just work.

In your case you would probably have a converter which would enable you to continue using your existing kit, so no need to worry.

stan

Ta for the above, Taciturn. Appreciated.

Are you able to confirm that I've got this right  .....  the only reference to fibre to the premises with a phone package attached is :-

FTTP + Centrex Single Line Voip Services

24 Month Contract. Discounted Router. Cordless Dect VoIP Handset included.
Phone service provided over high quality business VoIP.
Unlimited UK Landline & Mobile Calls.

500 Mbit/s Up

75 Mbit/s down

Priced at £60 per month.

So it looks like to get FTTP with a "landline" phone you have to have a high performance package (500Mbits).

Have I got that right?

Tacitus

Quote from: stan on Sep 09, 2022, 12:06:16So it looks like to get FTTP with a "landline" phone you have to have a high performance package (500Mbits).

Have I got that right?

The figures you quote may be correct for the 500 package, but I see no reason why you couldn't have the 40/10 SOGEA with the Centrex VoIP (Yealink DECT base + one handset) including all calls landline and mobile (UK only I would think) for circa £40/month inc vat.  That would be a 24 month contract.  In practice it's a decent deal apart from the fact that I already have a serviceable Gigaset system that will also do VoIP.

Since I already decided this is not for me I didn't ask what happens at the end of the contract.  In my case when FTTH arrives I will probably stay with iDNet for the Broadband and go to someone like Sipgate or Voipfone for the phone, although by then iDNet may have a different offer.  It's still early days before any action is required. 

If you want to know more of the detail, Steve Waters at iDNet is your man.

stan

All received. Ta.

I can't see the lower spec package on their website but, certainly, that would do the job.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

robinc

Quote from: robinc on Sep 09, 2022, 06:32:51
We've not needed to make any calls on our landline for several months - mobile is OK here. However the doomsters are predicting power supply issues this winter (like last winter and the ones before that.....) though the main issue is storms and power lines. Last winter we lost mobile for a couple of days due to power lines but we did have landline for most of the time. Local power was back up after a day but that may have been luck.

I had planned on dropping the landline in November - £130 can be used elsewhere. Now I'm thinking maybe I should hang on - I have this habit of getting rid of something I've not used for years and then needing it about a week later.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
....and just to muddy the waters - September 15th our area EE mast failed. So far the fault is still open ended as EE are having issues with the land owner getting access to the mast - and it seems there are H&S problems due to asbestos in the equipment housing. Now, I'm pretty damn certain that asbestos should not have been anywhere near anything by the time mobile technology starting spreading, but who knows. So, we're now relying on a mix of wifi calling when at home and using a Tescomobile PAYG when out in our home area (fortunately I got dual sim phones when renewing back in 2020 for when we're on holiday). BT will discuss compensayshun when the fault is fixed.

Landline and internet renewals are now upon us and so I've little choice other than to cough up to keep the landline I guess - until it is taken away. ??? ???
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Simon

That's a rotten bit of luck.  Hope it gets sorted for you soon.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

We now have some more definitive information on this so I've started a new thread and will close this one.

Please continue the discussion here:

https://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,34143.0.html
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.