Problems sending attachments

Started by Den, Jan 05, 2021, 21:27:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Den

I'm having problems trying to send attachments using Word and Outlook.

I click on send as a word document and then forward the email but it arrives in the inbox as a pdf and will not me open it with Adobe Reader.  :facepalm:
Mr Music Man.

Simon

Sorry Den, I'm not familiar with Outlook.  When you click 'Send as Word document', is the file already a Word document, or are you trying to convert it from a PDF?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Den

Already a Word document. I'm just trying to send it as an attachment but if I send it to myself it tries to open in Reader and then says it can't and wont even let me preview it. :dunno:

I've even uninstalled Adobe Reader, restarted the computer and reinstalled it, to no avail.
Mr Music Man.

Simon

This might be worth a try:

Click the "Start" button and select "Control Panel."

Click "Programs," click "Default Programs"

Select "Set Default Programs. "On the left of the screen is a list of all programs installed on your computer.

Click the program you want to associate with a particular file type

Click "Choose Defaults for this program." Place check marks next to each of the file types you want to associate with the selected program

Click the "Save" button.

The above is for Windows 7 but I expect it will be the same for Windows 10.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Den on Jan 05, 2021, 21:27:04
I'm having problems trying to send attachments using Word and Outlook.

I click on send as a word document and then forward the email but it arrives in the inbox as a pdf and will not me open it with Adobe Reader.  :facepalm:

It sounds like you are trying to send the document from inside Word? After File > Share > Email you need to select Send as Attachment to retain the original file format. Failing that you could always just save the document, create a new email in Outlook and attach the file.
zap
--------------------

Ray

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jan 05, 2021, 22:40:53
It sounds like you are trying to send the document from inside Word? After File > Share > Email you need to select Send as Attachment to retain the original file format. Failing that you could always just save the document, create a new email in Outlook and attach the file.

That works fine for me, Zappa.
Ray
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Ray on Jan 06, 2021, 08:44:16
That works fine for me, Zappa.

Thanks for confirming that Ray :)
zap
--------------------

Den

I'm now finding that attachments in incoming emails will not open unless they are in Word. Received an invoice today, could not open it in Outlook but could with Mailbird.   :facepalm:

Just checked again and the attachments are not coming through in Outlook as a pdf file but they are in Windows Mail and Mailbird. HELP
Mr Music Man.

Den

I spent 90mins on the phone and computer today with Microsoft Office 365. They were very helpful and changed a lot of settings within Outlook.

When we finished I thought all was well but I can't forward invoices from Quickbooks Desktop to email them and although most attachments now open some did not.

I am going to try Quickbooks support tomorrow and if that does not work I'm going to uninstall Kaspersky as I've read on the web that this can cause the problem sometimes.

I have also done a complete reinstall of Microsoft 365 Office.   :facepalm:
Mr Music Man.

Den

This morning I uninstalled Kaspersky and the problem went away. Amazingly after I completed the un-installation my copy of "Computer Action" arrived and there in the readers letters was someone who had the same problem and had found a way of altering the settings in Kaspersky to cure it.

Once again I have un-installed Kaspersky but this time I think I will leave it off. I'm going to run Windows Security and see how I get on but that fails I will install the BT Version of Mcafee as it's included in my contract.

Mr Music Man.