Thunderbird problem

Started by peasblossom, Feb 19, 2021, 22:54:19

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

Every time I open Thunderbird up (since this afternoon - 19th Feb) it's taken ages to connect to the server. I think it's struggling with the email address I've set to a POP server so I can't ask it to reduce the number of cached logins. Anyone got any ideas what to do?

Simon

Do you have any idea why this has just started happening?  Did TB receive an update recently?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

No, it seems to be pretty random.

peasblossom

Emailed IDNet who suggest checking anti virus software. But if it was that, surely it would be slow with the other email addresses? (I have several addresses.) (I think it is just IDNet addresses that are affected here. One is POP the other IMAP.)

Simon

Sorry, I can't be of any further help.  One of my email addresses (not IDNet) is slow to check with Mailwasher, but seemingly only on one computer, and I've not got to the bottom of it. 

Have you tried setting it as IMAP instead of POP, or check the Webmail to make sure there's no large files trying to download which could be slowing things up?
Simon.
--

peasblossom

I've checked a lot of things, Simon. I can't actually see anything wrong. It's bizarre.

robinc

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird

There's an interesting bit about POP and Inbox parsing which may help. Actually this is quite an interesting page - discovered a couple of useful tweaks for IMAP...
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

peasblossom

I've got another email client up and running for one of my IDNet addresses and so far it appears to be as slow as Thunderbird. The other non IDNet accounts on T'bird are fine.

Postal

Quote from: peasblossom on Feb 24, 2021, 17:01:21
I've got another email client up and running for one of my IDNet addresses and so far it appears to be as slow as Thunderbird. The other non IDNet accounts on T'bird are fine.

How large is the problematic mail file (and that includes the size of any attachments)?  If there is a lot of stuff there you may be able to speed things up by archiving some of the messages or detaching large attachments.

peasblossom

OK, one is IMAP and it has around 25 emails on the IDNet server. The other is POP and that has 170. (I think it's that way round.) We're not talking huge figures here. It should cope easily. I have compacted the Inbox/Sent folders and moved lots of emails (hundreds) to a local folder. I think I have done everything I can to figure out if it's my end that's the issue or not.

peasblossom

It was the router, it turns out. Reset it and all seems fine now.

Simon

Simon.
--

peasblossom

Indeed. The rabbit holes we went down though. (Some pretty interesting, mind!)