Telephone

Started by talos, Apr 19, 2021, 14:42:57

Previous topic - Next topic

talos

???

Me again more questions, when the phone system changes , will the ordinary plug in the wall skt still work , Its the only phone my wife can use because of her hearing loss. She has a hearing aid with a loop system , but it seems all phones have a screen which interferes with her aid ,our plug in the wall phone does not and is perfect with the hearing coil in her aid . Any suggestions most welcome.

BOB

robinc

Quote from: talos on Apr 19, 2021, 14:42:57
???
Me again more questions, when the phone system changes , will the ordinary plug in the wall skt still work , Its the only phone my wife can use because of her hearing loss. She has a hearing aid with a loop system , but it seems all phones have a screen which interferes with her aid ,our plug in the wall phone does not and is perfect with the hearing coil in her aid . Any suggestions most welcome.

BOB
As far as I can tell, the offering will be an ATA/VOIP adapter that plugs in to your router. The tricky bit is that the connection to the phone will be an RJ11 rather than a phone jack. So, if the phone has a fixed cable on the handset you will then need an adapter to fit in the RJ11 port and take the normal phone connector. This is called 'progress' and we must all embrace it  :facepalm:
What no-one seems to be addressing is that if this goes wrong do they seriously expect an older or non-IT literate person to log in to their VOIP box and do stuff to it? Madness.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Den

What happens when you have a power cut and your router does not work?  :facepalm:
Mr Music Man.

talos

Quote from: robinc on Apr 20, 2021, 06:21:43
As far as I can tell, the offering will be an ATA/VOIP adapter that plugs in to your router. The tricky bit is that the connection to the phone will be an RJ11 rather than a phone jack. So, if the phone has a fixed cable on the handset you will then need an adapter to fit in the RJ11 port and take the normal phone connector. This is called 'progress' and we must all embrace it  :facepalm:
What no-one seems to be addressing is that if this goes wrong do they seriously expect an older or non-IT literate person to log in to their VOIP box and do stuff to it? Madness.
Quote from: Den on Apr 20, 2021, 08:05:28
What happens when you have a power cut and your router does not work?  :facepalm:

These are both my major worries, surely BT will provide something for the elder generation on the none tech savy to use, or am I living in cuckoo land :eyebrow:.

Simon

The same as what happens when you have a power cut and you have DECT phones.  That's why I've always had a corded landline connected as well.  I'm really not looking forward to this change.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Use your mobile if its charged which it should be. I have not used my landline apart for careline activity in years. Anyone who wants me calls my mobile. People who rely on landlines need I'm afraid things are changing and if you don't change with them you get left behind. My careline is going to GSM so eventually I'll go SOGEA and not have a dial tone.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Postal

Quote from: Gary on Apr 20, 2021, 10:42:05
Use your mobile if its charged which it should be. I have not used my landline apart for careline activity in years. Anyone who wants me calls my mobile. People who rely on landlines need I'm afraid things are changing and if you don't change with them you get left behind. My careline is going to GSM so eventually I'll go SOGEA and not have a dial tone.

And for those who through no fault of their own live in a mobile not-spot?  This has been done to death in other topics in this Forum and is a genuine concern for those of us who are worried about the safety of those living in such places.  We could easily have had an incident with major consequences in our community a few weeks ago when we had a 12-hour power-cut during which an ambulance had to be summoned for one of the residents.  Without the copper landline and hard-wired phone the resident would have had to somehow attract the attention of one of the neighbours (difficult considering the condition she was in and which required an ambulance) and then expect the neighbour to drive out of the village until a mobile signal could be accessed in order to make the emergency call.

In the overall scale of things there will only be a small part of the population who are in that situation but it is very discouraging the attitude of those who are not in that situation and who think they are taking the moral high ground by assuming everyone that anyone not following their bandwagon is a Luddite.

robinc

My mobile is charged - but it makes not one sodding iota of difference if you haven't got a signal. :mad:

In addition, take a look at mobile mast outage sources and you'll see great swathes of the country without signal at all times of the day and night.!

talos

My mobile is always charged,  but my wife cant use it because the screen interferes wit her hearing aid , it produces a loud buzz, impossible to hold a conversation  >:(
and the signal is so bad you have to stand out in the garden to use it , great in the winter :mad:

peasblossom

I've googled and nothing thus far tells me what someone without a router (or a PC/laptop etc) and no interest in getting one, does. [Neither are remotely technical. Whereas I'm fine with computers, they are most definitely not. Both are a good bit older than me.] I know at least two people in that category. They do have mobiles but I don't think they'd really want to be using them all the time. And as others have said, sometimes the signal can be dismal/non existent. I appreciate why BT are doing this but I'm not wholly sure they've thought it through.

john7

The last time we had a power cut it took the mobile phone mast powere as well so the only phone working was out wired one we could plug into the master socket.

john7

Quote from: talos on Apr 21, 2021, 08:45:18
My mobile is always charged,  but my wife cant use it because the screen interferes wit her hearing aid , it produces a loud buzz, impossible to hold a conversation  >:(
and the signal is so bad you have to stand out in the garden to use it , great in the winter :mad:
This is what we used to have before moving, a BT engineer was almost despairing as he was dependant on his
mobile phone to run the tests needed. In our case then you had to walk down to near a village hall as the reception in the garden was not usually working! In Wales, were we keep a caravan, there are very large areas, even in some towns, with no mobile reception, a problem those using google maps for navigation find out the hard way.

peasblossom

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 21, 2021, 13:28:12
I've googled and nothing thus far tells me what someone without a router (or a PC/laptop etc) and no interest in getting one, does. I know at least two people in that category. Neither are remotely technical. Whereas I'm fine with computers, they are most definitely not. Both are a good bit older than me. They do have mobiles but I don't think they'd really want to be using them all the time. And as others have said, sometimes the signal can be dismal/non existent. I appreciate why BT are doing this but I'm not wholly sure they've thought it through.

I mangled my edit. :slap: It should have read as above.

zappaDPJ

I've been trying and failing miserably to get some authoritative information on SOGEA. There's a possibility that we might move to an area that has no mobile coverage at all and no fibre. It's also potentially an issue for my mother-in-law living in a mobile/fibre dead spot in Wales.

What I did turn up in a search today was a uninformed and rather patronising article on the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56831212
zap
--------------------

Simon

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 22, 2021, 19:11:03
I've been trying and failing miserably to get some authoritative information on SOGEA. There's a possibility that we might move to an area that has no mobile coverage at all and no fibre. It's also potentially an issue for my mother-in-law living in a mobile/fibre dead spot in Wales.

What I did turn up in a search today was a uninformed and rather patronising article on the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56831212

From that article:

QuoteThe survey, which spoke to 2,000 people in March this year, found those of us with landline phones were spending an average of only five minutes a day making calls with our fixed-line phones.

Those five minutes a day could be a lifeline to some people, and as has been said, not everyone has a practical alternative to a landline phone.  I really hope this is thought through before it has devastating effects for some vulnerable people.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

It seems to me there are a lot uncertainties involved at the moment. For example Juno Telecoms are saying one of the drawbacks is '...SOGEA and SOGFast users will no longer have access to a phone number, as they did with an analogue line. SoGEA does not allow users to connect traditional phone to the Openreach socket. Users will have to adopt VoIP or VoIP softphones to be able make and receive phone calls.'
https://www.junotelecoms.co.uk/services/business-internet/sogea/

So what are the implications for that? Does it mean it's all IP driven? What information will I need to 'dial' to contact the emergency services? If it is IP driven how will that sit with the GDPR? So many questions but no one seems to have any answers.

Of course this may all work out for the best in the end but it would be good to know in advance all the implications.
zap
--------------------

Simon

I like my phone number, and wouldn't want to lose it.  I thought I read somewhere that there would be ways to keep existing numbers.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Apr 22, 2021, 23:14:52
I thought I read somewhere that there would be ways to keep existing numbers.

I thought the same :dunno:
zap
--------------------

robinc

These 2 documents - and the links they contain as well - are fascinating reading especially when it comes to access to emergency services and power cuts!

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0032/137966/future-fixed-telephone-services.pdf

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/123118/guidance-emergency-access-power-cut.pdf

Simon

I'm surprised there hasn't been already, but I think there will be an outcry when this gains traction and hits the tabloids.
Simon.
--

peasblossom

I've had my phone number for years now and, like Simon, would be pretty unhappy to have to change it. I too think that when the tabloids get hold of this BT may not know what's hit them.

gizmo71

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 23, 2021, 13:36:36
I've had my phone number for years now and, like Simon, would be pretty unhappy to have to change it. I too think that when the tabloids get hold of this BT may not know what's hit them.

From one of the documents (my emphasis):
QuoteWhile all landline customers will eventually need a broadband connection to continue receiving a phone service, they will still have the same phone number and use phone numbers to make and receive calls.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Simon

Quote from: gizmo71 on Apr 23, 2021, 15:36:16
From one of the documents (my emphasis):
QuoteWhile all landline customers will eventually need a broadband connection to continue receiving a phone service, they will still have the same phone number and use phone numbers to make and receive calls.

That's good to know.  Let's hope they stick to it.
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Quote from: Simon on Apr 23, 2021, 17:09:02

What Simon said.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Apr 23, 2021, 17:09:02

I could be comparing apples and oranges but this seems very close to home: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/sogea-landline-number-to-voip-migration.36536/
zap
--------------------