Dangerous Email Warning

Started by sparky, Sep 10, 2021, 16:30:54

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I've just received this email to my idnet.com account.

Attention Valued Customer,

Your domain e-mail account is scheduled to expire on September 15th 2021, you are to keep your account secure and active to avoid temporary blocked.

Please use link https://www.idnet.com/ to easily update your email account:

© Copyright IDNet 1996-2021. All rights reserved.

I queried it with support and their reply follows:  In fact if you hover a mouse over the link when its in the email, it shows as instant-miner.com.

Hi Keith,

It does not appear to be from us, I do not recognise the address this has been sent from.

Please do not click the link and mark this as spam.

Kind regards,
Heather
IDNet

zappaDPJ

I got the same email which came soon after having an issue with sending and receiving from IDNet's email server. That's one hell of a coincidence.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

But I haven't received it to any of my five IDNet email accounts.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

deekforum

I received 2 of these emails this afternoon.

They look convincing at first sight but the www.idnet.com link opens as *****//instant-miner.com/images/idnet/*****

Edit: Link broken.  We don't want someone clicking it by mistake.  ;)

talos

Too late I clicked it . now what ? :-\

Clive

I get these all the time into my BT Internet account.   ::)

talos

Quote from: Clive on Sep 12, 2021, 09:04:34
I get these all the time into my BT Internet account.   ::)

So  not to worry then  :fingers:

talos

Just had another one , this looked very genuine  :o

zappaDPJ

Quote from: talos on Sep 11, 2021, 08:30:33
Too late I clicked it . now what ? :-\

As long as you didn't enter any personal details and your PC is virus protected you probably don't have nothing to worry about.

I got another one today, exactly the same. My only concern is how the sender got hold of our email addresses. If it's an automated bot churning out random IDNet addresses it seems suspiciously on target.
zap
--------------------

robinc

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Sep 12, 2021, 23:56:25
As long as you didn't enter any personal details and your PC is virus protected you probably don't have nothing to worry about.

I got another one today, exactly the same. My only concern is how the sender got hold of our email addresses. If it's an automated bot churning out random IDNet addresses it seems suspiciously on target.
Have you checked on "have i been pwned"?
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: robinc on Sep 13, 2021, 06:05:06
Have you checked on "have i been pwned"?

I have and I have been, once through Adobe and once through vBulletin. However I still find it rather coincidental that three out of perhaps a dozen active members here have had the same email.
zap
--------------------

Gary

To date I have not received one (yet) just a few junk mails about T shirts which have been doing the rounds (never open an email you think is suspicious) and look at the use of language 'to avoid temporary blocked' is not good English! I do have my email filtering set pretty high I think its *** on the Bayesian filter. If the three people have been pwned at some point then their email can be spoofed pretty easily.

One of my IDNet ones was pwned by the same Adobe one as yours probably. I would suggest people check at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and make sure their passwords are very strong/Change them now and then too if new emails get pwned in dumps from hacked sites that people use. Try and use a throw away email account for each of the online shopping sites you use too if possible. Also block the dodgy domain with a rule in the idnet dashboard for the email email account getting those messages, that should stop stuff from that site hopefully.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't