iDNet and City Fibre

Started by Tacitus, Oct 15, 2021, 18:22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

I doubt this will impact many people on 'netters but according to TBB:

"iDNet joins retailers selling full fibre over CityFibre network"

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/9095-idnet-joins-retailers-selling-full-fibre-over-cityfibre-network

550 Mbps for £40/month including vat

zappaDPJ

That's rather a lot for not so much!
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

That's a hell of a bargain!  But is it nationwide? 

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Clive on Oct 19, 2021, 16:14:38
That's a hell of a bargain!  But is it nationwide? 

Unfortunately not. From memory it's a very limited service.
zap
--------------------

Clive

zappaDPJ

Sky Broadband seem to think they can offer me 470 - 515 Mb/s for £45/month inc. which is tempting. If I ditch the phone line which we plan to do anyway I'd be getting over 10x the throughput for slightly less outlay and hopefully lose the continual re-syncs. To be honest if another provider could offer the same I'd jump at it.
zap
--------------------

Clive

When I used Sky (not for Broadband)they were always difficult to deal with. 

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Clive on Nov 02, 2021, 19:34:20
When I used Sky (not for Broadband)they were always difficult to deal with. 

I've had a mobile contract with Sky for many years which has proved rather good... £5/month unlimited. There's probably a data cap but the last time I looked I had so much data rolled over I can't have hit the cap. I think they must have forgotten about me! But I wouldn't really want to touch their broadband.

I went to look at property today and asked the owner about their broadband which is with Virgin. He did a speed test. 933Mbps download and 50 something Mbps up with a 9ms ping! Almost worth buying the house for :laugh:
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Oct 19, 2021, 16:56:33
Unfortunately not. From memory it's a very limited service.
Why is city Fibre a limited service, Zap and that price isn't bad I thought. They are rolling out in my local City not that we will get it out here in rural not worth the cost land, but City fibre are big now, and most households don't need even that much throughput. Many companies are putting in their own fibre these days and Openreach just cant keep up, then again if my broadband keeps dropping with these glitches IDNet keep having I may move, as I've had more outages due to maintenance in the last week and today was a glitch just after 8am they are investigating, tbh I'm getting fed up of the issues at the moment with Zens backhaul.  :bawl:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Gary on Nov 03, 2021, 09:38:08
Why is city Fibre a limited service, Zap and that price isn't bad I thought.

I meant limited in terms of availability although they do seem to have expanded their reach quite a bit since I last looked :)
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Nov 03, 2021, 17:01:51
I meant limited in terms of availability although they do seem to have expanded their reach quite a bit since I last looked :)
Ah I see what you mean, Zap.  :) They do seem to be like moles around where I live, just not my village sadly. My throughput is lucky to hit 49Mbps these days, it used to be in the 60's thats ECI cabs and crosstalk for you.  :( Also Zen seem to have turned into the YoYo of backhaul providers with loads of dropped sessions recently due to data centre issues with power failures and maintanance, you would think they would have invested in better backups.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't