Can anyone interpret what my modem logs are reporting please?

Started by MikeT, Jun 15, 2022, 08:04:13

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I'm for the last couple of weeks having intermittent fails on throughput, the internet doesnt drop out with red led's on the modem but the hard wired pc cannot access the internet although its appears to be connected in win 10 settings.
After seconds or a few mins it will recover and be fine again for a while.

I have attached 2 log files from my modem, the time in the title is when the fault appears.

Thanks for looking.

Postal

Quote from: MikeT on Jun 15, 2022, 08:04:13
I'm for the last couple of weeks having intermittent fails on throughput, the internet doesnt drop out with red led's on the modem but the hard wired pc cannot access the internet although its appears to be connected in win 10 settings.
After seconds or a few mins it will recover and be fine again for a while.

I have attached 2 log files from my modem, the time in the title is when the fault appears.

Thanks for looking.

Perhaps something to do with the problems reported elsewhere on the internet with Zen backhaul.  A lot of IDNet connections have now been moved from BT Wholesale backhaul to Zen.  If I've got things right, Zen backhaul has two main hubs, Manchester and London.  For people who need to minimise their latency (maybe for gaming purposes) and who live in the southern half of the country, connecting to the Manchester hub is the kiss of death due to the extra distance the light signals have to travel in the trunk optic-fibre network up to Manchester then back to London where most of the online gaming connections join the party.  The anecdotal evidence is that if you are connected via Manchester and don't like the connection, you drop the connection then re-connect.  This gives you a chance that you land on the London hub rather than Manchester.  Repeat and rinse until you land on London.  When enough gamers and the like have done that, the London connection starts getting overloaded and Zen need to re-balance their network.  This involves disconnecting existing consumer connections then reconnecting under a controlled process to balance the connections between London and Manchester.  If you are on FTTC you will see a short period of disconnection then service resumes.  If you are technically minded and watch your network stats you may see a shift in the latency of your connection after that process although the speed does not change.  From Northumberland our ping speeds to the ThinkBroadBand server when speedtesting will be 21ms or so on one hub and 26ms or so on the other.

We had a connection drop for about 2 minutes at 05:00 this morning with no increased latency but there are other internet reports of people seeing a drop at the same time and increased latency.

We are now only seeing those drops at home about once a month now but there are other recorded cases where the Zen network drop was happening every two or three days.

MikeT

Thanks for the reply Postal, my connection has been fine again for a few days, then early this morning around 4.51am I lost internet with PPP connection fail. It was long enough for me to open a browser to view the status, scratch my head a little then it came back while I was viewing the logs. Its been fine again since.
Still monitoring....

Postal

Clive

Strangely I've been having the same problem for several weeks.  It's very irritating! 

talos

Cant help you with the logs I'm afraid but like you I have had several mysterious dropouts this last few weeks , not long,  a min or two but annoying just the same. :rant2:

Postal

Quote from: talos on Jul 09, 2022, 07:21:42
Cant help you with the logs I'm afraid but like you I have had several mysterious dropouts this last few weeks , not long,  a min or two but annoying just the same. :rant2:

More than likely Zen load-balancing their backhaul between Manchester and London gateways.  We never used to have these problems when IDNet used BT Wholesale rather than Zen for backhaul.