Dropouts worse than ever

Started by Clive, Jul 18, 2022, 13:56:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jul 25, 2022, 22:16:00
Setting up a BQM could help diagnose the issue: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/broadband-quality-monitor

Unfortunately I appear to already have an account with this website and it won't let me create another.  I don't remember having the account and can only assume Rik might have suggested it many years ago. 

robinc

I know you've probably already tried this - but running dslstats http://dslstats.me.uk/ for 24 hrs would provide a nice view of what's going on from an inside perspective at the same time as the BQM from outside. It would certainly help confirm the frequency and duration of outages as well.

Out of interest - nothing running on a timeclock on your mains supply?

UPS anywhere? Thinking mains noise when charging...
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

nowster

Is there an immersion heater set for that time?

Clive

I haven't given up on BQM yet because we may just be arguing over the name of my graph.  I do have an immersion heater timed for most of the afternoon so that is certainly a very valid point! 

Not sure what UPS is Robin unless it stands for Universal Power Supply?  I have lots of cables and multi socket connectors near the router - in fact the router is plugged into one.  And it's next to the TV - and a new sound bar.  But apart from the sound bar, the system has worked faultlessly for around five years.  There has been a huge improvement since I ditched the callblocker and no increase in unwanted calls. 

Simon

I think it's Uninterruptible Power Supply, so like mini backup generator. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

robinc

Quote from: Simon on Jul 28, 2022, 00:27:59
I think it's Uninterruptible Power Supply, so like mini backup generator.
Lets think more in terms of battery backup for power cuts/blips/smoothing - the kind of thing everyone will need when BT have scrapped conventional phone lines and you've no mobile signal so you have to use VOIP.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Postal

Quote from: robinc on Jul 28, 2022, 06:05:18
Lets think more in terms of battery backup for power cuts/blips/smoothing - the kind of thing everyone will need when BT have scrapped conventional phone lines and you've no mobile signal so you have to use VOIP.

But liable to be quite a pricey option if you live in the rural areas where power cuts are measured in the hours rather than the minutes.  OfCOM are running another consultation process after the huge amount of noise that was generated from rural areas in the aftermath of last winter's storms as the penny has finally dropped in their metrocentric citadel that one hour is not enough back-up cover for those who do not live in the same urban world as them.  In our mobile phone free rural area we normally see three or four outages a year which last about 12 hours (normally a tree bringing down the overhead lines).  Even just to have a UPS for the modem/router and VOIP phone to cover that time gap is going to cost getting on for £100.    Adding in a contingency margin for the rare power cuts that last a few hours longer is going to up the ante again.

Clive

I definitely don't have UPS!   :laugh:

Clive

When I try to log into BQM I get the following error message: 

We have detected that you are connecting to us from the IP address: 212.69.**.***
If you would like to monitor a different IP or hostname, please enter it below.

IP / Hostname
212.69.**.***
The host 212.69.**.*** is already monitored by you.

Simon

I've masked your IP address for security, Clive. 

Can you not login to your ThinkBroadband account?
Simon.
--

Clive

Yes, I can log in but I'm unable to obtain the stats for my current IP because it seems welded to the IP I've given on a previous encounter with the software.  I've had lots of dropouts today, all between 2pm and 4.30 pm - yes the immersion heater was on.  But the ambient temperature is also very warm.

Simon

When I log in I see a link to 'Create a New Monitor'.  Clinking that link produces the screen attached below, where it gives the option to either use my current IP or a new one.  Do you not get that screen?
Simon.
--

Clive

Yes, that's exactly what I get.  Presumably I have to give the graph a moniker such as Clive's Router? 

Clive

It then immediately throws up an error message which I described a few posts ago. 

Simon

Right, so it seems to be saying your IP is already monitored, so you should have an existing graph you can use. 
Simon.
--

Clive

Which I suspect Rik set up for me.  But how can I find out what it's called?

Postal

Quote from: Clive on Jul 30, 2022, 13:50:52
Which I suspect Rik set up for me.  But how can I find out what it's called?

Send an e-mail to team@thinkbroadband.com, explain the circumstances and see if they can help?

Clive

Very good idea!  I'll do just that.

Clive

The reason I think Rik set it up is because I am logged in as PCPal. 

Clive

Now it says csrf token: CSRF attack detected.  :dunno:

Clive

I've sent them an email. 

Simon

I kept telling you to stay off those dodgy farming websites!  ;D
Simon.
--

Postal

Quote from: Clive on Jul 30, 2022, 15:27:03
Now it says csrf token: CSRF attack detected.  :dunno:

Happens sporadically.  Close the window, re-open and try again and it normally works OK the second time.

Clive

So I've had a swift response which shows I set up the monitor in 2014 so I've taken Rik's name in vain!  Here's the reply:

You have a monitor you set up in 2014 for 'flatxx' - it's disabled probably because it stopped responding. You should be able to delete that on your profile?
If that isn't the issue can you share the IP address you're trying to add? Also what account/e-mail address did you use before if it's a different account and I can check.

I'll send the information they require. 

Clive