The UK Landline Switch Off - What You Need To Know 

Started by Simon, Oct 04, 2022, 11:00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 03, 2024, 22:46:28
Bit off topic, but as an alternative, I see IDNet are now offering a redirection service for £6 a month, inc VAT. Very tempted. I like having landline number but rarely use it, only having it as a back up really so this might be handy.

I've moved the above post into the more appropriate thread.

That's an interesting development, but it seems just to be a diversion service - it would still leave the user without a lanline phone to make outgoing calls on. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

robinc

According to the Daily Mail the brakes have been applied for a couple of years (at least) due to technology gaps.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

peasblossom

Quote from: Simon on Apr 03, 2024, 23:06:29
I've moved the above post into the more appropriate thread.

That's an interesting development, but it seems just to be a diversion service - it would still leave the user without a landline phone to make outgoing calls on. 
It's supposed to be a bridge between landline and voip that you don't need to get any widgets for. That's it's selling point for me. Well, that and the low cost.

Simon

Quote from: robinc on Apr 04, 2024, 07:38:42
According to the Daily Mail the brakes have been applied for a couple of years (at least) due to technology gaps.

The thing is, IDNet's UBOSS service is actually cheaper than having the BT landline service with them, so, in that sense, it pays to switch to VoIP if you are able to.
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Quote from: Simon on Apr 04, 2024, 10:08:11
The thing is, IDNet's UBOSS service is actually cheaper than having the BT landline service with them, so, in that sense, it pays to switch to VoIP if you are able to.
OK, the other selling point is I can switch to this one (I hope!) but UBOSS is not possible unless I'm happy to stump up for the widget that goes with it. £66 is out of my range.

Simon

I think, in time, the connectivity devices will become cheaper.  I'd even cautiously wager that BT might even provide an alternative before the big switch off.  Isn't there already talk of them installing ATAs at some of the exchanges where FTTP isn't even on the horizon?

Also, FXS enabled routers will be cheaper as they become more widespread.  My discounted TP-Link VX230v from IDNet (with FXS) worked out much cheaper than buying a router and a separate ATA.

Of course, whether I ever get to see if it works depends on the ongoing drama getting the FTTP installed in the first place.  :facepalm:
Simon.
--

peasblossom

But of course, if I tried to get it redirected now, I'd cut my broadband off. Really tired of not having FFTP.

Postal

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 05, 2024, 16:03:07
But of course, if I tried to get it redirected now, I'd cut my broadband off. Really tired of not having FFTP.

If I've understood other information on the internet, Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) have their own VOIP service and have a process where the number can be transferred without the cessation of the broadband.  The only trouble is that I can't remember whether it was for numbers in or out!

stan

Quote from: Postal on Apr 06, 2024, 09:14:04
If I've understood other information on the internet, Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) have their own VOIP service and have a process where the number can be transferred without the cessation of the broadband.  The only trouble is that I can't remember whether it was for numbers in or out!

When I recently spoke to them they confirmed it's far better to request a FTTP transfer from Idnet to AAISP first - then when it's underway to request they port my landline number from Idnet to them.
They didn't seem to think it was difficult and their VOIP service is remarkably cheap compared to elsewhere. Especially if you only want to keep the landline number for occasional use and/or incoming calls.

peasblossom

Which is great, but for reasons unknown to me (I've googled "if city fibre are in my street why can't I get full fibre?" and am none the wiser) I still have to wait for FTTP. That's the snag in all the options.

stan

stan

Ray

Well as I have only got FTTC around here I decided to opt for the Idnet Sogea and Uboss Voip option so placed an order with Idnet and purchased A TPlink VX230 router from them. I successfully installed and set this up, Broadband working fine. Change of system booked to happen on the 18th of this month, yesterday morning went to use landline Phone - dead! Looks like the Sogea part of the work has already happened but not Voip part as plugging the cordless phone into the Router gives me a dial tone but no ability to make/receive Phone calls! Idnet support are chasing it up so hopefully get my landline back and working soon!  :-\  :facepalm:
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Good luck with that, Ray.  Keep us informed.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Openreach appear to be reinstating copper lines to an assisted living estate near where we live. They already have FTTP so I can't imagine what else it could be :dunno:
zap
--------------------

Postal

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 12, 2024, 18:22:11
Openreach appear to be reinstating copper lines to an assisted living estate near where we live. They already have FTTP so I can't imagine what else it could be :dunno:

Either as a result of the estate having things like alarm pendants still on copper-style technology rather than IP-based or so that existing landlines will work through the kit being installed in exchanges to act in lieu of an ATA at the premises.  The latter has been referenced somewhere in this forum but I can't find the link at the moment.  Whichever way it will only be a temporary expedient.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Postal on Apr 16, 2024, 08:25:13
Either as a result of the estate having things like alarm pendants still on copper-style technology rather than IP-based or so that existing landlines will work through the kit being installed in exchanges to act in lieu of an ATA at the premises.  The latter has been referenced somewhere in this forum but I can't find the link at the moment.  Whichever way it will only be a temporary expedient.

I guess that's probably it. It may be coincidence but there was a serious fire at one of the properties not so long ago. If it wasn't for the bravery of a passing neighbour, the occupant who is unable to walk, would have gone up with it.
zap
--------------------

Simon

BT has significantly delayed plans to force customers to switch from physical copper-based landlines to internet-based services following concerns from vulnerable people.

The switch was paused at the end of last year after several incidents where telecare devices stopped working.

Nearly two million people in the UK use personal alarms which rely on landlines.

BT, which is also responsible for EE customers, has now abandoned the timeline of completing the national switchover by the end of 2025, and will instead aim to complete the move by the end of January 2027.

But a campaign group for elderly people has told the BBC the revised timeline is "a token concession".

"The delay is for just over a year, which we don't think is long enough to make sure there are sufficient safeguards for vulnerable customers," said Silver Voices head Dennis Reed.

"BT and the other telecoms firms haven't even worked out what a vulnerable customer actually is, and we are calling for a more defined definition.

"We feel the deadline of January 2027 is very premature."

The move is highly controversial because it will mean an outage, which can be a frequent occurrence in some rural areas, could cause landline phones to no longer work.

It means there is a risk that customers who need personal alarms, which are potentially life-saving, could be left disconnected and without a working device.

BT said its new timetable followed the introduction of a series of improvements to better protect vulnerable customers and those with additional needs.

"The urgency for switching customers onto digital services grows by the day because the 40-year-old analogue landline technology is increasingly fragile," said BT head of security and networks Howard Watson.

"Managing customer migrations from analogue to digital as quickly and smoothly as possible, while making the necessary provisions for those customers with additional needs is critically important."

BT said it will protect vulnerable customers where it is made aware of them, and it plans to provide "resilient solutions" to those who are dependent on their landline.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5119g5z4q5o
Simon.
--

nowster

"40 year old landline technology" is a bit disingenuous. That puts it at 1984, which is just about the start of the roll out of digital exchanges (eg. System-X). The last conversion from electro-mechanical to digital was in the late 1990s.

They're probably talking about PDH which was obsoleted by SDH and ATM about twenty years ago. Beyond that the backbone has been IP based for at least a decade (21CN).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_21CN

And the automatic telephone exchange dates back over 130 years! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strowger_switch

Postal

Quote from: Simon on May 20, 2024, 19:43:03. . . .BT said it will protect vulnerable customers where it is made aware of them, and it plans to provide "resilient solutions" to those who are dependent on their landline. . . .

While BT supply the final mile services to IDNet it is the responsibility of IDNet as ISP to provide the "resilient solution".  The last time I contacted IDNet about this sort of matter (probably eighteen months to two years ago), they had no register of their vulnerable customers so I've no idea how they would know who needs a "resilient solution".

john7

We are going to move back to copper as having been on  Uboss its useless. IDNet support say the router, Netgear whose router it is there router can't creat the frequent disconnections we are told are the problem.  There are NO other problem, I have a number of networked devices on 24/7 that would stop disconnections it only the Uboss service. Friends who have used  internet phones all had problems One needed a pro come and sort it out another like us gave up and went back to copper. Another  had so many problems they were moving so had a copper line  when they moved.

I have a nearly new Orbi 853 with current firmware. Going 80 I just can't deal with it nor will many others, after weeks of phone problems and hours trying to get the useless system to work. But as usual every one blames someone else so best of luck try Uboss.

Simon

So what are you going to do when your copper line is switched off?
Simon.
--

john7

No idea  but it's not working now. If ISPs only support routers they sell its not a hope of working for most people. Our dentist has been fighting with an Internet phone and that's with using an IT firm.She wishes she had never been sold the idea
 I have no doubt  the systems can work but there looks to be no real support from anyone when there are problem.So you are expexted to pay out to replace ALL your network gear to get support. When the ISP changes what they sell do it again! We want a phone that you pick up and make a phone call and for us IDNet is unable to provide that other than a copper line and that always did work. If we need emergency devices it's usless if you can't rely n a call working and at 80 you may find you need one tomorrow as my brother has unfortunately found. I found it a merry go round of passing the buck and can't deal with it longer and just want a phone that works not every one blaming someone else as we have had.