Sudden disconnection of wired smart TV from the net

Started by krysia, Oct 30, 2022, 11:27:42

Previous topic - Next topic

krysia

Last night we were in the middle of watching BBC iPlayer on our Panasonic Smart TV, which connects to the internet via a powerline adapter.  Suddenly the picture hung, but it went on longer than usual, and we eventually got a message that there was no internet connection.  I checked the router, which was fine, and the wifi was working, so we finished watching the programme on iPlayer via the Firestick attached to the TV.

The TV diagnostics said the TV was connected to a network device but that the device coudn't connect to the internet, which doesn't make sense, as the port the TV is using is still lit on the router and the router is connected to the net.  One strange thing is that the TV's network status page gives an unexpected IP address, starting 169 rather than the correct 192.  I checked our network connections in Eset this morning, and it shows the expected IP address beginning 192, but instead of listing our Panasonic Viera TV, as usual, the address is against something called Shanghai High-Flying Electronics Technology.  Does anyone have any idea about what is going on?

Simon

Is the Powerline connection wired or wireless?  I'm just wondering if there's another WiFi network close by which the TV might be picking up?

I would perhaps first try a full power off and on again on the TV, and the Powerlines, then re-establish the network connection via the TV settings if that doesn't rectify it. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

krysia

Thanks, Simon. The TV has a wired connection to the powerline, which is why I find it so weird - it's not a wifi connection anyone could have interfered with.

The Shanghai device is a red herring - it's the datalogger for our solar panels that I haven't seen before when I check our network connections in Eset (which I don't often do).

I googled the IP address the TV is now showing and it's a link-local one, which is presumably why the powerline, although connected to the router, can't connect to the internet, as it hasn't got the correct IP address.  Can't understand why the address would suddenly change in the middle of watching television.

I'll give the TV and the powerline the trusty turn-off-and-on-again treatment.

nowster

I have put powerline adaptors (TP-Link) at my parents to save on wiring. One of them occasionally drops off the over-the-mains link from time to time. A power cycle of the offending unit fixes the problem.