Full fibre on the horizon

Started by Clive, Apr 13, 2023, 15:11:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

I've received a letter from a company called "Ogi" who claim to be installing fttp into apartment blocks in Wales.  Before we went away in January there were people digging a trench along the outside of our building to lay cables for high speed broadband so I'm inclined to believe that Ogi may possibly be a genuine company.  They have requested that
I. let them in to carry out a non-invasive survey of the block with a view to carry out installations.  My question is will I be able to stay with IDNet which I've found to be helpful over the past 13 years or will this be a leap into the unknown?  I've read that anyone who refuses to switch to full fibre will have their speed reduced to 2Meg by Openreach.  Can they really do that?

zappaDPJ

I can't really answer any of those questions Clive. Trustpilot reviews are a bit of a mixed bag: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ogi.wales I'd guess that the impending PSTN switch off might be a factor as far as speeds are concerned. If you don't have FTTP I'm not sure where that leaves you.

zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

I suspect you may only be able to use the altnet FTTP if it's one of the providers that iDNet have agreements with.

Round my way netomnia are digging and another firm is putting up poles.

Clive

I can see it's a bit of a mixed bag but I'm sure that applies to every ISP.  Reading between the lines, it seems I don't have to commit to Ogi but carry on paying IDNet as long as I use one of their preferred providers?

Simon

We've had Swish Fibre digging up all our pavements around here.  They keep putting leaflets through my door, but I've every intention of staying with IDNet until I'm dragged away kicking and screaming. 
Simon.
--

Bill

It's Gigaclear around here who seem to be putting fibre in any duct they can find (they've done my road), but it all comes to the same thing... I don't suppose IDNet can partner with all of them, so it looks like a wait until BT get their finger out and overlay the alt-nets or they get bought out one by one until IDNet can sensibly partner up with a big one :dunno:

The Gigaclear signup offer isn't too bad- £20pm for 500Mbps (down, no mention of up speed) for 18 months, £3pm to transfer the phone (keeping your number) and if I could get it via IDNet I'd bite their hand off, but it comes with snags- no static IP, no IPv6 and unknown reliability... and if I'm honest, my 60-odd Mbps FTTC is plenty fast enough for anything I need to do! So I'll wait.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

nowster

Another thing to be aware of is that some of them do CGNAT (like the mobile phone companies do) for IPv4.

Bill

Quote from: nowster on Apr 14, 2023, 09:41:54
Another thing to be aware of is that some of them do CGNAT (like the mobile phone companies do) for IPv4.

I think that's why there's no static IP available. On the consumer products anyway, I think it's available on (at least some of) the business ones, but still no IPv6 on those.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Clive

OK so I spoke to Chloe at ID Net this morning and she told me that Ogi has the monopoly on providing full fibre for Wales so I have to leave ID Net.  Sounds like jobs for the Boyos to me with sweeteners for the Welsh Government.  Perhaps a years supply of leeks or free rugby balls. But Chloe went on to say that usually after one or two years we can choose our own ISP.  I'll keep you updated.

Simon

Surely if you're happy with the service from IDNet you don't have to go to the new provider?
Simon.
--

Clive

Chloe says we do because Ogi has the monopoly in Wales - possibly because they are doing the installation.  I'm extremely annoyed because I'm very fond of IDNet.

Simon

I find this quite concerning.  So, are you saying that this new company will disconnect your service with IDNet and force you to use them if you want internet access?  I thought that sort of thing was illegal.  If that's the case they could charge you £1000 per month, take it or leave it.  Are they actually removing the existing BT lines to install their own fibre networks?
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Clive on Apr 15, 2023, 14:18:33
Chloe says we do because Ogi has the monopoly in Wales - possibly because they are doing the installation.  I'm extremely annoyed because I'm very fond of IDNet.
Ogi does not have a monopoly on FTTP in Wales. There are plenty of places in Wales served by OpenReach.

Clive

But that would not suit me at all because I had a very bad experience with Openreach before I came over to IDNet. 

Simon

Are you not still with Openreach, by using IDNet?
Simon.
--

Clive

Yes, IDNet use Openreach but Ogi are not partners so Chloe says I can't stay with my current ISP.