BT hubs and landlines

Started by peasblossom, Apr 19, 2023, 15:25:17

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

Sorry to bring their name into this (hope I'm not flouting forum rules)  but I have a question. A member of my family has a BT hub for various reasons, but it's been playing havoc with the landline. Has anyone else had problems like this? (BT are aware.)

Simon

This might be a bit basic but have they tried changing the cables and any line splitters that may be present?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

nowster

It all depends on what the "havoc" is.

peasblossom

Quote from: nowster on Apr 19, 2023, 22:42:07
It all depends on what the "havoc" is.
Not being able to dial out, the phone not always ringing and the wearable alarm no longer working. (On VoIP now.)

nowster

When you say "on VoIP now" do you mean that the phone wiring is connected to the VoIP port on the BT router?

peasblossom

What I mean is their phone line is now on the Digital Voice network.

nowster

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 20, 2023, 18:48:37
What I mean is their phone line is now on the Digital Voice network.
Isn't everyone's? That's what the C21N project was about. BT's internal voice network was migrated from PDH/SDH to VoIP.

Where do they connect their phone(s)? Master socket on wall? Port on back of BT Hub?

peasblossom

Quote from: nowster on Apr 21, 2023, 13:37:54
Isn't everyone's? That's what the C21N project was about. BT's internal voice network was migrated from PDH/SDH to VoIP.

Where do they connect their phone(s)? Master socket on wall? Port on back of BT Hub?
We have till 2025 as I understand it, and my phone line hasn't switched yet. (Additionally, I'm pretty sure IDNet would have said if it had or was about to.)

But to your question, it looks as though it plugs into the back of a BT hub.

nowster

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 24, 2023, 11:33:48
We have till 2025 as I understand it, and my phone line hasn't switched yet. (Additionally, I'm pretty sure IDNet would have said if it had or was about to.)

But to your question, it looks as though it plugs into the back of a BT hub.

Two separate things. The 21CN conversion started to happen at the exchanges beginning 2008. If your exchange has ADSL2+ (all do now), it's going to be IP based.

Anyway, the problem might be a faulty hub, or intermittent DSL connection, or even internal phone wiring (if they have extensions).

Another thing is that you shouldn't put a cordless phone base station right next to a DSL modem (in this case, a BT hub), as its transmissions may interfere with the delicate signal processing needed for the modem to work. As the modem has to work reliably for a dial tone to be available...

peasblossom

Quote from: nowster on Apr 24, 2023, 13:36:03
Another thing is that you shouldn't put a cordless phone base station right next to a DSL modem (in this case, a BT hub), as its transmissions may interfere with the delicate signal processing needed for the modem to work. As the modem has to work reliably for a dial tone to be available...
It's not cordless. Noting your other points though. Various engineers have looked at it all, but it keeps happening so your assessment re faulty equipment sounds likely.