Contention?

Started by andybites, Aug 22, 2007, 14:51:58

Previous topic - Next topic

andybites

Hi,

Have moved to IDnet after a few years at F2S, seem to be getting massive contention at peak times - just two weeks ago with F2S it was lightning fast. Have IDnet got network problems atm? is this being sorted? (assuming it's not a BT problem as its gone from lightning fast to direly slow so quickly)

My sync was as it should be (about 3400) and stats were decent.

I'd give more details but i'm not with the PC at present.. i'll post more when i'm at the property with the line.

Rik

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm not aware of any problems within the IDNet network, as you know, they guarantee no congestion. What I have seen here, and what may be affecting you too, is congestion at the exchange level.

I'd suggest you drop support an email, or have a word with them, to voice your concerns.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

andybites

Thanks, just wanted to check it wasn't a known issue before i began bothering them.
I'll check my exchange status too.

Cheers

Lance

It might be worth checking what profile you have at the moment using the BT speedtest site. Possibly you had a low sync event, resynced since at normal speed and just need to wait for your profile to catch up.
Lance
_____

colirv

Quote from: andybites on Aug 22, 2007, 14:51:58
just two weeks ago with F2S it was lightning fast.
FWIW I had a similar change in speed, but different ISPs. I moved from Nildram to Newnet about four months ago. The day the move happened my speed halved, even though my BRAS profile didn't. Everyone assured me that Newnet were top league and it wouldn't be their fault. And I think they were probably right, as having moved here a month ago, IDNet have looked into it thoroughly with my exchange and they say it's my exchange that's very congested. I can get full speed some of the time in the middle of the night, but otherwise I'm down to 30-50% of what I was getting with Nildram. I'm happy to accept that neither Newnet nor IDNet are going to offer inferior services to Nildram. But it seems odd that my drop in speed happened when I changed ISPs.
Colin

Inactive

Hi andy, a warm welcome to the Forum, have a Welcome Karma..
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

Quote from: colirv on Aug 23, 2007, 23:21:38
But it seems odd that my drop in speed happened when I changed ISPs.

I suppose there might have been a physical change at the exchange which put you onto a more congested VP?
Rik
--------------------

colirv

Possibly. Anyway, there's not much I can do about it except wait for BT to upgrade the exchange. My purpose in posting was to say, in effect, that a drop in speed on changing ISPs isn't necessarily the fault of the new ISP.
Colin

Rik

I understood, I was just trying to understand what might have caused it. Sadly, every ISP is limited by BT. :(
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

Don't forget the kids are on holiday at the moment!!  ::) ::)

:yeahright: :evilb:
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

As if I could, Mo, it's always been very noticeable here as we have a young population.
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Only a week to go, and the little bs will be back to school!  ;D
Simon.
--

Rik

Let joy be unfettered!  ;D
Rik
--------------------