App update oddness

Started by peasblossom, Sep 16, 2023, 17:49:18

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

There were some updates due on my phone a few days ago, so I got going on that. But my phone kept going, and reinstalled apps that were already on there, including some that haven't been updated for a while. (There are reasons I keep them, OK? Humour me on this!) Googling doesn't help here at all because the algorithm assumes you have a choice over permission. Normally, yes, but it did it unilaterally. Has anyone else come across this? Is it a Bad Sign?

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

Android. (And not in its first flush.)

Simon

It's difficult to say categorically, but if they were apps you installed on your phone, it might not be a concern.  Permissions have changed and tightened over the last couple of major Android version upgrades, so depending on how old your phone (and Android version) is, it may behave differently to a device with the latest updates.

I'd suggest getting the free BitDefender app from the Google Play Store and give the device a scan, if only for peace of mind.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

Scanned with Bit Defender and Avast mobile. Seems OK on that front at least.

nowster

There will have been a bit of a scare recently with the webp vulnerability disclosure. A lot of apps will have been updated to close that bug.

https://stackdiary.com/critical-vulnerability-in-webp-codec-cve-2023-4863/