Supported email clients

Started by peasblossom, Oct 20, 2023, 10:57:29

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

For various reasons (profile hassles, don't ask) I'd like to try using something other than Thunderbird as my email client. I kicked off with Blue Mail but while it happily identifies all the correct details to set up an IDNet account, it can't complete the process. Are there any other options? Or am I stuck with Thunderbird? No Microsoft options, please. I use Linux.

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

robinc

Quote from: peasblossom on Oct 20, 2023, 10:57:29
For various reasons (profile hassles, don't ask) I'd like to try using something other than Thunderbird as my email client. I kicked off with Blue Mail but while it happily identifies all the correct details to set up an IDNet account, it can't complete the process. Are there any other options? Or am I stuck with Thunderbird? No Microsoft options, please. I use Linux.
Tbird profile hassles - happy to discuss if it helps.
One problem that does crop up is when trying to shift profiles between differently based distros.
For example I have found that with a Debian base the T'bird profile can be swapped/copied over quite happily and will just carry on in a new install or with a new Debian based distro. There can be issues if you try to back-peddle several T'bird versions. For example if 102 provided a feature that 78 didn't you might run into problems (I haven't yet with 5 email accounts in T'bird - bit it might...)
The same applied as I recall with 'buntu bases - though I haven't used them for at least 5 years.

The problem comes when you try to use a T'bird profile created .e.g. in Ubuntu and just copy that into Debian. It will usually fail to work because the structures are not the same. The opposite is also true.

OK, that being said, alternatives to T'bird.....which a lot of folks are checking out following the release if 115.x.x
A lot will depend on how and how much you use your email and what features you need, or want. I can only speak from my own experiences will all IMAP and using Gmail and Outlook accounts

Evolution - I've used this off and on in the past. It works well, though it is a little slower in operation than T'bird. Naturally it supports multiple accounts well. One thing I do like is that the Calendar integration with Gmail actually works - unlike T'bird/Lightning.
As a corporate level groupware it does all one would expect. The only gripe I have is the granular customisation of the message pane in different folders.
For example - I like my Inbox to show the Sender, but I like the Sent Mail to show the Recipient - I sent it so I don't need to know that. Can't do it (so far, AFAIK but still trying)
The interface is just big - the mail compose box (if you use HTML) is very bulky and takes up more space than it should.
Miss simple things like drag and drop addresses between Recipient, cc and bcc boxes....

Kmail - Only if you use KDE Plasma already if not then don't bother as it drags in humongous dependencies.

Geary - Personally I find it slow and useless without address books etc etc. I'd sooner use Chrome and web Gmail.

Claws / Sylpheed - can be fun but you need to enjoy that sort of stuff, great if you like to tinker but I have to work with HTML based stuff all the time and it just doesn't cut it.

Alpine - blast from the past.......

T'bird 115 - right now I hate it because it looks wrong and I object to having to resort to userChrome.css just to attempt to replicate a universal and time honoured/tested interface layout. Different is not always good.

Any and all of these should work quite happily with IDNet mail - sorry I don't use it. If they don't then summat's wrong somewhere.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

peasblossom

This is a Mint to Mint transfer. (And now I'm wondering if this thread should be moved to the Linux board.) It did occur to me that it might be the change of port that's snagging things with Bluemail. The client goes for 993, but IDNet suggest 143. Have asked.

Yes, from the screenshots 115 does look bad.

robinc

Just checked using Bluemail in virtualbox and having woken up my idnet email account.
Going through from scratch I just gave it name address and password and told it to do it automatically and it works, in and out. IMAP with port 143

However if you go back through the settings and try to configure it then it does indeed stop and cannot complete.

Then tried to add an outlook address and it just crashed - cannot be bothered, again it's quicker and less painful to use webmail than Bluemail.

Assuming you're using Mint 'buntu and you've already tried resolving on the Mint forums. Did these t'bird issues arise following upgrade?

If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

peasblossom

This is a wholly new (to me) laptop I wanted to transfer the profile onto, and the latest Mint version (21.1 LTS.) Various solutions have been suggested but I fear even if the profile did a metaphorical dance of the seven veils, T'bird would still not recognise it. Your experience with Blue Mail is most interesting.

peasblossom

So it turns out Port 143 is used if the TLS setting is disabled. Otherwise it's 993. Might give Blue Mail another go. Edit to add: did. It still won't complete the set up process. Why? (No idea who can answer that question.)

peasblossom

Quote from: peasblossom on Oct 21, 2023, 20:36:57
So it turns out Port 143 is used if the TLS setting is disabled. Otherwise it's 993. Might give Blue Mail another go. Edit to add: did. It still won't complete the set up process. Why? (No idea who can answer that question.)
Tried it with POP3. Now sorted out. Curious. But we are up and running.