New UBOSS VOIP service in addition to CENTREX

Started by goldberg, Nov 20, 2023, 10:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

stan

peasblossom

stan

NigelC

Cable -  unless budget is extremely tight, buy copper throughout.   
Copper coated aluminium is the cause of all sorts of issues in networks - they usually happen when something done is "out of spec", domestically that's moderately likely.  Even things like the exact type IDC connection can matter.   

Solid vs stranded depends on installation.  If its never going to move (pinned to a wall, going into wall mounted socket plates), then solid is OK.  Solid will be fine for initial shaping, but not take kindly to constant re-shaping.    If it is going to move (when cleaning, or moving something on a table/shelf), then stranded wire. 
The short lengths "outside" could be shielded against wear with a little bit of trunking, perhaps with a cap on the ends to give a bit more protection. 

The usual spec for ethernet would allow this arrangement:
Router socket -  RJ45 plug flexible cable to RJ45 plug - Wall socket with cable (no joints within cable) to another Wall socket - RJ45 plug flexible cable to RJ45 plug - into socket on device (such as second WiFi access point).   

stan

Super job. I'll sit and study and relate that to what is advertised for sale. Budget not an issue, more concerned to get it right. Any recommended makes or makes to avoid and lastly it looks like external cable not essential. Is external harder to form bends with?

Much appreciated.

NigelC

Quote from: NigelC on Feb 02, 2024, 12:46:45

I'm still on the lookout for an end-user guide to operating the Voip service.  How does the user setup call-forwarding ?  Voicemail ?   etc..  With the old PSTN system, there was a set of phone key-pad sequences to set up all services. 

My sent-at-weekend email to Idnet Support resulted in a clear set of instructions for the VOIP service.

It uses key-pad codes to set up and change diversion, answerphone, remote-access answerphone, etc.. (like PSTN, but detailed difference in codes).

Not tried any yet, but will print them out and try a few when I've time for faffing. 

- Nigel

Simon

Brilliant, thanks Nigel, that will be very useful. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

One problem with using an ATA is that you'll have to set up the various phone tones (dial tone, ringing, engaged) if you don't want them to sound like you're in the USA.

The more insidious one is that the US phone system has different impedance characteristics than the UK one, and if you don't correct this on the ATA it can cause echo problems for anyone who calls you.

Simon

It's just one problem after another, isn't it?
Simon.
--

Simon

Can anyone who's got VoIP (Uboss) set up with a standard DECT phone (Gigaset) please confirm that caller ID still works both ways?

I now have my Fibre Broadband up and running with a TP-Link VX230v router (with FXS port), so now I'm contemplating when to switch to VoIP.  There are various telephony settings in the router for call blocking, forwarding, etc, but it seems I would need to access these via the router interface each time, rather than with MMI codes via the handset. 

Also, it doesn't look like my existing CPR Call Blocker would work, as it relies on power from the PSTN phone socket.
Simon.
--

dudwell

I have VoIP (Uboss) and caller ID works both ways with my Panasonic DECT phone.

Simon

Simon.
--

Ray

Anyone who has Uboss VOIP how long did it take to get set up? mine was supposed to be active on the 18th of April - I'm still waiting!  :slap:
Ray
--------------------

dudwell

I think it happened on the promised date though I didn't receive any message. I found out only the next day when my daughter tried to phone me. She obtained a ringing tone but I heard nothing. Fearing I might have expired, she WhatsApped and I realised the changeover must have happened. I switched plug from BT mastersocket to TP-Link router and found phone was working. We exchanged test calls to check.

Incidentally I have found call volume to be louder with VoIP while audio quality is excellent.

Simon

Quote from: Ray on Apr 20, 2024, 15:16:15
Anyone who has Uboss VOIP how long did it take to get set up? mine was supposed to be active on the 18th of April - I'm still waiting!  :slap:

I was told around five days, Ray.  I guess they need time to port the number.  I asked, just in case I was left without the landline after the FTTP installation, but it's all fine and I still have a landline in two rooms. 
Simon.
--

Ray

Now up and running and working fine, the only oddity is that Idnet have to provide a string of letters to enter into the phone number field in the router Telephone setup, if you enter your phone number it doesn't work! strange!  :dunno:
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?

I'm still debating with myself on whether or when to do the swap.  Part of me wants to just get it all done and dusted, and it would also be cheaper in the long run, but another part is still apprehensive.
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Apr 23, 2024, 11:47:20
Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?
Depends where they're calling from. If they're still on a landline, local calling should still work. Londoners haven't got local calling (with 8 digit local numbers) into their heads anyway.

Calling out from VoIP depends on how the dialling rules are set up. It's possible to implement local calling as a mapping (eg. any 6 digit number that doesn't start with 0 or 1 gets expanded to the full number).

Simon

There are lots of telephony settings within the router which I could probably get myself in a total mess with. 
Simon.
--

Postal

Quote from: Simon on Apr 23, 2024, 11:47:20Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?

That is probably going to happen on the existing landline network as well as the IP based services (for as long as that network is still there).  OfCOM published a paper in March 2022 (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/233745/Future-of-Numbering-Statement-on-geographic-numbering.pdf) signposting the route.  IIRC BT have already trialled it (Bournemouth is an exchange which took part in the first trial).

Simon

So, I've been looking at the UBOSS service in more detail, and it seems from the information on IDNet, Call Blocking / Barring is not available, and neither is the option to withhold your number when calling.   Both of these functions are listed under the Centrix service, but not under UBOSS.  This is a bit of a concern as I have always relied on both of these features. 
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Postal on Apr 24, 2024, 09:19:44
IIRC BT have already trialled it (Bournemouth is an exchange which took part in the first trial).
That's because they've run out of numbers in that code and will have started to use 0 or 1 as the start of the local number, meaning the exchange can't tell if you're doing local dialling, dialling a short code (eg. 17070), or an STD code without applying a timeout.

eg. a number like 01202 123456 or 01202 012020.

There have been "shadow" numbers with local parts starting with 0 and 1 since the 1990s at least, eg. 0161-0xx xxxx, usually used as the physical destinations of 0800 or similar numbers.