FTTP New Installation Process

Started by armadillo, Sep 15, 2023, 19:05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Postal

Quote from: Simon on Feb 06, 2024, 10:06:00
So, are you suggesting I'd be better off staying as I am?

I guess the argument to the first part is, what if I'm still on FTTC and want to change ISP?  Most probably won't be offering a new FTTC contract now, so I would then be forced to go to FTTP in any case.

Not at all.  I'm  only offering some comments on your posting not trying to tell you what is best for your personal situation.

It looks as if once again there has been a lack of clarity leading to confusion for the ordinary customer.  BT have a Stop Sell policy.  They will not wholesale or retail an FTTC product if there is more than 75% FTTP coverage in the area and the customer has FTTP available.  If you are one of the left-behind 25% you will still be served as previously using what BT call MPF (Metallic Path Facility) - the old copper wires back to the cabinet or exchange and they will still take orders from ISPs for an FTTC service (although there will be no phone service).  If you are not in a Stop Sell area then nothing changes from the current situation in regard to internet but the landline phone service will be gone by December 2025.

So for your situation it will depend on what the local fibre coverage is like.  If you are in a Stop Sell area, have FTTP available and want to change provider you will have to move to an FTTP service.  If you are not in a Stop Sell area or are in a Stop Sell area but do not have FTTP available then you will still be able to order FTTC; as far as I understand it any change of ISP will require a move to VoIP phone but i may be wrong on that.  In that situation there is nothing to stop any ISP offering you a service.

Simon

OK, thanks.  So, given I do have FTTP available, notwithstanding the issues supplying my individual home, I don't really have an awful lot of options.

IDNet's FTTC service has had a price hike, so I'd be paying more for that than I have been, if I stayed on that service, plus, they're no longer offering the annual payment discount.  The FTTP service from IDNet works out cheaper than I was paying for the FTTC service, so that would seem a no-brainer, but for the installation issues. 

I couldn't switch from IDNet to another (cheaper) FTTC service as FTTP is available, so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My only other option might be to move to an FTTP service where the 'plumbing' already exists, therefore it would just be a matter of them connecting their existing network to my property.   But I don't want to leave IDNet.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Postal

Quote from: Simon on Feb 06, 2024, 11:07:56
OK, thanks.  So, given I do have FTTP available, notwithstanding the issues supplying my individual home, I don't really have an awful lot of options.

IDNet's FTTC service has had a price hike, so I'd be paying more for that than I have been, if I stayed on that service, plus, they're no longer offering the annual payment discount.  The FTTP service from IDNet works out cheaper than I was paying for the FTTC service, so that would seem a no-brainer, but for the installation issues. 

I couldn't switch from IDNet to another (cheaper) FTTC service as FTTP is available, so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My only other option might be to move to an FTTP service where the 'plumbing' already exists, therefore it would just be a matter of them connecting their existing network to my property.   But I don't want to leave IDNet.

All of your comments above only apply if you are in a Stop Sell area (i.e. more than 75% of the premises in whatever Openreach define as your area have FTTP available).  This is probably the area covered by your local telephone exchange, not the houses and streets in your immediate vicinity.  Have you actually checked whether you are in a Stop Sell area?  Have you looked at any other ISP web-sites to see what service they can offer you?  Unless you are in a BT defined Stop Sell area the only immediate change (before December 2025) is the cessation of the landline phone service.  If you are in a Stop Sell area you will have to move to FTTP at some time in the not too distant future anyway so it is only a matter of picking the time that suits best (maybe when your phone is going to be forced to VoIP so that you make all the changes in one go).  Whatever way you decide to go you are going to have to go through the pain barrier of the FTTP installation at some stage so better to do it at a time which suits you rather than when it is forced on you.

zappaDPJ

Personally I would let the fibre process continue because at some point in time (perhaps even now) you will almost certainly have the option of increasing your throughput while paying a fraction of what currently paying. That's where I'm at even though I live in a rural area.
zap
--------------------

Simon

One other small concern is that I was talking to a neighbour at some point when I started this process, and he said he had tried to get FTTP, but had also been told that as the ducts were blocked.  However, it was implied to him that the council would have to come along and dig up the road, and he would have to pay £1,500 for the work. 

I can't really see how this could be correct, but I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of paying for such work myself. 
Simon.
--

dudwell

Well I've done it: placed order with IDNet for FTTP and VOiP choosing cheapest options. Wish me luck!

Simon

You may need it, Dud, but I hope it goes smoothly for you.  :)
Simon.
--

dudwell

I'll let you know how it progresses! :fingers:

Postal

Quote from: Simon on Feb 06, 2024, 16:13:49
One other small concern is that I was talking to a neighbour at some point when I started this process, and he said he had tried to get FTTP, but had also been told that as the ducts were blocked.  However, it was implied to him that the council would have to come along and dig up the road, and he would have to pay £1,500 for the work. 

I can't really see how this could be correct, but I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of paying for such work myself.

Can we enquire who implied to her/him that (s)he would have to pay to have the ducts unblocked?  There are lot of postings in other places on the internet about comments made by contractors which have little or no relationship with fact or truth.  In this particular case there is at least one bit of fiction in that the council would not dig up the road, it would be the telecom company or its contractors (after having to apply to the council for a licence to dig if it obstructed the highway).

Simon

I don't know any more details.  I also have to point out that he's deaf in one ear, so there could have been a misunderstanding!  I don't see him very often but next time I do, I'll ask him.

According to the OR bods who've been here so far, it seems my blocked duct is under a hedge, so at worst, they might have to dig down under the hedge. 
Simon.
--

Clive

Where there were issues of access here including routing through a private lane and through a Western Power transformer room the FTTP provider just got on with themselves. 

robinc

Quote from: Simon on Feb 06, 2024, 18:14:25
I also have to point out that he's deaf in one ear, so there could have been a misunderstanding!

Probably his ducts are blocked......  :red:  I'll get me coat.
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

Simon

Simon.
--

Simon

Quote from: Clive on Feb 07, 2024, 10:03:20
Where there were issues of access here including routing through a private lane and through a Western Power transformer room the FTTP provider just got on with themselves. 

Surely you're not suggesting OR are creating an unnecessary drama, Clive?   :whistle:
Simon.
--

Clive

We have Ogi, OR are a different mob.  OGi have the monopoly in Wales.  At least for the first two years. 

Simon

Latest update:

Unfortunately we do not appear to have received a further update and due to the ongoing delays this has now been escalated to the next level.

Somehow I can't see this ever happening.
Simon.
--

stan

Isn't this what we pay Idnet for - to chase them up and get you what you requested and keep you informed?

Simon

That update was from IDNet, and as far as I am aware, they are chasing, hence the escalation.  Sorry, I should have clarified.

I just have a feeling OR will eventually say it's too much work, and subsequently IDNet won't be able to provide me with a service. 

But I do tend to predict the worst scenarios in these situations.  It might all turn out OK.
Simon.
--

Clive

That won't happen Simon.  The work is just run of the mill to the installers. 

nowster

Quote from: Postal on Jan 27, 2024, 02:29:27
First thing to remember is that by December 2025 everybody whose current phone service is provided through a BT wire will be on VoIP.  The existing PSTN service is being turned off by then.

No longer strictly true. It has recently been announced that OpenReach will be installing ATA cards at the exchange for those who do not wish to switch to VoIP service. This will not be available to new customers.

Postal

Quote from: nowster on Feb 10, 2024, 02:01:47
No longer strictly true. It has recently been announced that OpenReach will be installing ATA cards at the exchange for those who do not wish to switch to VoIP service. This will not be available to new customers.

Can you provide a reference for that please?  It would be really helpful so that I can then spread the word amongst the high proportion of vulnerable users in our community.

Simon

Yes, that's a very interesting development.
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Postal on Feb 10, 2024, 09:37:41
Can you provide a reference for that please?  It would be really helpful so that I can then spread the word amongst the high proportion of vulnerable users in our community.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/openreach-prep-alternative-uk-analogue-style-phone-product.html

"SOTAP for Analogue"

Simon

Another Openreach engineer came out today, and once again, attempted to 'rod' the ducts, but confirmed that there is a blockage, and it would need some digging work.

The guy was perfectly reasonable, and did his best to shove the rods through, but this is the third engineer now who's said the ducts are blocked, so I'm wondering when someone will eventually appear to actually remove the blockages, so that the installation can be completed?

I've updated IDNet with this information, and suggested some pressure might be applied, so we shall see what happens next.
Simon.
--