FTTP New Installation Process

Started by armadillo, Sep 15, 2023, 19:05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

It never fails to amaze me how badly some companies communicate internally. That seems to be one of the key issues with your installation, Simon.

stan

zappaDPJ

It seems to me the problem here is a company working to Victorian standards. After establishing the fact that the duct was blocked why didn't they just employ Dyno-Rod to carry out a CCTV survey :dunno:
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I think this guy yesterday did have a camera, Zap.  It's just a bit annoying that it's taken them three visits to come to the same conclusion and nothing has actually been done yet to rectify the issue.
Simon.
--

stan

All this will be so familiar to my neighbour opposite who went through much the same, but he did get it done eventually and all is now resolved.

Bill

Quote from: Simon on Feb 14, 2024, 10:29:58It's just a bit annoying that it's taken them three visits to come to the same conclusion and nothing has actually been done yet to rectify the issue.

Not quite the same, but... "It all makes work for the working man to do" :bawl:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on Feb 14, 2024, 11:42:47
Not quite the same, but... "It all makes work for the working man to do" :bawl:

;D That's a blast from the past!

Quote from: stan on Feb 14, 2024, 10:40:25
All this will be so familiar to my neighbour opposite who went through much the same, but he did get it done eventually and all is now resolved.

I had the same nonsense with an overhead cable. Multiple visits and head-scratching plus the day they actually came to do the job I was on my way out. Unusually I went out the back way where three OpenReach vehicles and a cherry picker were parked. I didn't occur to me until I was half a mile away that they might have come to replace my cable. Luckily when I got back they were still at the tea and doughnut stage of the job so the job got done ::)
zap
--------------------

Simon

Yeah, the fact that they keep turning up unannounced is another worry.  I really want to be here when they do any work, but it's difficult if I don't know when they're coming. 
Simon.
--

nowster

Plus ça change, etc.

When I had NYNEX install cable phone back in the late 1990s, they couldn't complete the install because the tee on the duct under the pavement faced the wrong way, and they couldn't fit the cable through it.

Because the install also involved a number port, we lost BT phone service that evening because that wasn't cancelled when the job was abandoned that day. One panic phone call got it restored within about an hour.

Then there were further delays and missed appointments before the pavement was dug up. Ultimately the compensation payments paid for the install and the first few months of service.

Simon

You got compensation for the phone being disconnected for one hour?
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Feb 14, 2024, 22:23:10
You got compensation for the phone being disconnected for one hour?

I don't think so. The majority was a per-day compensation for the delay in installation of over a week.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Feb 14, 2024, 22:39:23
I don't think so. The majority was a per-day compensation for the delay in installation of over a week.

So, were you without an internet service for that time?  My install date was 17th Jan, so it's now nearly a month late, but as I still have an FTTC service, I don't think I could make a compensation claim, even though I'm now paying a higher rate for the existing FTTC service (as IDNet's prices have increased), than I would be for the FTTP.
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Feb 14, 2024, 23:12:55
So, were you without an internet service for that time?  My install date was 17th Jan, so it's now nearly a month late, but as I still have an FTTC service, I don't think I could make a compensation claim, even though I'm now paying a higher rate for the existing FTTC service (as IDNet's prices have increased), than I would be for the FTTP.
This was 1998 or so. Internet access was still dial-up then!

Missed installs may still be subject to a compensation scheme, even if it's an upgrade.

Simon

Quick update - the guy who came last time has just called again (on a Sunday morning!), and said that the 'dig guys' have said that where the blockage is located is "too deep", and they won't dig it again.  So the plan now is to run a new duct, which means digging up my lawn and front path.   :facepalm:

It's not actually my lawn and path, as it belongs to the estate, so they're going to have to get permission for that, and he did say that there's a small chance when drilling through that a "brick could blow", which would result in further repair work and an insurance claim, so that's a little worrying, but they're planning to install the external box under the window of the room where I want the internal box to go, so that will reduce some cabling. 

Ever wish you'd never started something...?
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Feb 18, 2024, 11:50:42
Ever wish you'd never started something...?

Yup but we are still together after 40+ years :evil:
zap
--------------------

Clive

I think you will find that the installers have all the powers they need to do just as they want.  It's a Government edict that we must all have access to FTTP.  Certainly nothing stopped them in our area. 

dudwell

FTTP is installed and working!!! A nice chap from Kelly Communications, working indoors in a cramped corner and outside in rain, completed task in one hour 25 minutes. I can't imagine how he singlehandedly ran new fibre from pole through neighbour's tree to house but it seemed to cause him no trouble at all.

Clive

Well done!  That's fantastic news.  :thumb:

Simon

Glad it's worked for someone!   :thup:

I'm still waiting for the men with spades to show up, but I now have arrows sprayed on the lawn and path, showing where they need to dig!   :facepalm:
Simon.
--

robinc

Quote from: dudwell on Feb 22, 2024, 12:40:03
FTTP is installed and working!!! A nice chap from Kelly Communications, working indoors in a cramped corner and outside in rain, completed task in one hour 25 minutes. I can't imagine how he singlehandedly ran new fibre from pole through neighbour's tree to house but it seemed to cause him no trouble at all.
Many years ago - around 2005 ish I think - I was watching TV on a dark and stormy night when there was an almighty great 'bang' outside and all the power went off.

Our houses get their power via overhead cables and poles. We have pole on the edge of our garden.

The wire arrives via a pole in a neighbour's garden and in between - in their garden - was a bloody great leylandii hedge and a smallish ash tree which I think starts off in their neighbour's garden - all the poles are on boundaries

The hedge was not managed at all. Over the years it had grown up and around the power cable.

Then on that night the wind whipped the branches around so much it pulled the cable off the pole in their garden.

The cable was replaced by a stronger system, and a hole cut in the hedge.

A few years later the house changed hands and the new owners took out the leylandii hedge and we actually got the light back in our garden.

The small ash tree next to their power pole is now a much bigger ash tree and they keep having to cut back branches around the cable. The owners of the tree are not bothered.

The moral of this sad little tale is that trees grow. Gaps in trees in winter become filled with leafy twigs and stuff which, given our wild and windy autumns, can thrash around a lot in a storm.

Just sayin'
If we tell people their brain is an app - they might actually start to use it.

dudwell

Thank you Robinc. The tree, a copper (!) beech, has concerned me for years but I think I can't do anything about it until it causes trouble. The FTTP installation chap didn't seem troubled.

Meanwhile a couple of problems following the changeover:-

YouTube videos and iPlayer buffering and stalling on laptop very much worse than before. Perfectly fine on smart TV but then I can't read comments below YT videos. Fine on smartphone too but how do I know it isn't connecting via 4G?

The yellow cable from new wall box to router is a few inches too short to permit router to be stood on top of metal filing cabinet as previously. So router has to be positioned lower down beside filing cabinet which doesn't seem ideal.

Simon

Quote from: dudwell on Feb 23, 2024, 11:38:32
YouTube videos and iPlayer buffering and stalling on laptop very much worse than before. Perfectly fine on smart TV but then I can't read comments below YT videos. Fine on smartphone too but how do I know it isn't connecting via 4G?

There should be a WiFi icon on the smartphone if it's connecting to the WiFi.  Otherwise, you should see a 4G icon.

QuoteThe yellow cable from new wall box to router is a few inches too short to permit router to be stood on top of metal filing cabinet as previously. So router has to be positioned lower down beside filing cabinet which doesn't seem ideal.

Did the engineer not see that when he was there?  Seems a little unprofessional.
Simon.
--

dudwell

Quote from: Simon on Feb 23, 2024, 12:09:18
There should be a WiFi icon on the smartphone if it's connecting to the WiFi.  Otherwise, you should see a 4G icon.

I see both!

Quote from: Simon on Feb 23, 2024, 12:09:18Did the engineer not see that when he was there?  Seems a little unprofessional.

Alas I let him go before checking. I'll buy a longer cable if I know exactly what. I suppose it simply plugs in to wall box? It's hard to reach and seems very wobbly.

Simon

I think the phone will only connect to one or the other.  If you turn off Mobile Data, then you'll see if you're still connected by WiFi. 

When my internal installation takes place, I'm going to be watching the engineer like a hawk!
Simon.
--

Postal

Or you can go to Airplane mode then re-enable WiFi (and Bluetooth if necessary).  It's a handy tip I picked up on another Internet Forum if you are in an area with no mobile signal and are connecting through WiFi.  While you are in normal mode your phone is constantly searching for a phone signal and constantly not finding one.  This eats up your battery.  We are in a mobile free area and my battery (venerable Samsung so not the latest tech) used to die after about 8 hours.  Going to Airplane mode then re-enabling the WiFi means the battery now last a full 24 hours.