FTTP New Installation Process

Started by armadillo, Sep 15, 2023, 19:05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Actually, I've just realised why that method wouldn't work.  I'll need the router upstairs for when I move to VoIP as the phone will need to connect to it.  As you were...   :facepalm:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

It's OK, we won't say anything, Simon.  :-X

Simon

Quote from: peasblossom on Mar 20, 2024, 08:51:31
Have to say, it's real shame someone hasn't set up an explainer website where all this is gone into in nerdy (but helpful) detail.

I'd guess that might be difficult as every installation is different.

Quote from: peasblossom on Mar 20, 2024, 13:19:47
It's OK, we won't say anything, Simon.  :-X

:red:
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Sure, not every installation will be the same but it could cover what they can do so you get a feel for the possibilities.

nowster

Theoretically you could run powerline from ONT to the router, as it's just standard Ethernet, but I would not recommend it. Powerline stuff is rather fickle about mains wiring.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Mar 21, 2024, 13:10:10
Theoretically you could run powerline from ONT to the router, as it's just standard Ethernet, but I would not recommend it. Powerline stuff is rather fickle about mains wiring.

Yes, I know someone in a big old house who was trying to run a powerline from one floor to another, and after days of fiddling about it turned out the floors were on different electrical circuits, so the powerlines wouldn't work. 

I'm fairly sure all my wiring is on the same circuit, as last year I had a problem with an oven that kept blowing the RCD, and it always took all the plugs out. 
Simon.
--

Postal

Quote from: peasblossom on Mar 20, 2024, 08:51:31Have to say, it's real shame someone hasn't set up an explainer website where all this is gone into in nerdy (but helpful) detail.

Like this guide from EE - https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/getting-started/full-fibre-installation

Simon

Quote from: Postal on Mar 22, 2024, 09:03:46
Like this guide from EE - https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/getting-started/full-fibre-installation

That, of course, is working on the assumption that all goes to plan without any dramas. 
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Quote from: Postal on Mar 22, 2024, 09:03:46

Not nerdy enough. It doesn't account for different types of houses and, as Simon says, it assume everything runs smoothly. I'd be looking for an independent guide.

Postal

Quote from: peasblossom on Mar 22, 2024, 22:49:52
Not nerdy enough. It doesn't account for different types of houses and, as Simon says, it assume everything runs smoothly. I'd be looking for an independent guide.

That seems like you want someone to put together the answers to a whole page of "how long is that piece of string" questions -  welcome to anyone who manages to hit the right level of detail to satisfy that sort of request.

Simon

I finally have a date for the duct work - 4th April.  But they've said for some reason they want to do it 'out of hours', which, according to IDNet, could be 6am-8am, or 6pm-9pm.

I've asked for further clarification as I don't think it's acceptable or reasonable for them to come and start digging and drilling at 6 in the morning.  I want to be around to observe what they're doing and where they're routing the cables, but I'm buggered if I'm getting up that early!
Simon.
--

peasblossom

If it's at all noisy (which I'm guessing it could easily be) 6am-8am to start a job like this is anti social for any neighbours too.

Simon

Yes, there is that too.  Isn't there some sort of legal restriction as to when noisy works can be carried out?
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Mar 29, 2024, 12:05:30
Isn't there some sort of legal restriction as to when noisy works can be carried out?

That falls under the 1974 Pollution Control Act which states building and construction work is limited Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm and Saturdays 8am – 1pm. I had cause to look it up a couple of months ago when the waterboard decided to dig up the pavement outside our driveway in the middle of the night.
zap
--------------------

Simon

I guess an emergency situation would be classed as exempt, but I don't call my situation an emergency.  They've only got to dig up a bit of lawn, and it's not going to interfere with anybody else.  I think they might be worried about partially blocking access to the driveway, but there's another entrance that people can go in and out of, so even that shouldn't be a problem.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

I'm not sure if I would describe it as an emergency situation, more payback because I stopped them digging a trench across our property which is a long story for another time.
zap
--------------------

Simon

I've got to be honest, part of me wishes I'd never started this.  I could have happily stayed on FTTC for years yet, and just switched the phone to VoIP when the time came.  It seems a big upheaval, and what's going to happen in a few years when something else new comes along?  I'm pretty sure they'll find a better way of installing this further down the road.
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

I guess on the positive side at least you're not going to end up having to live with a forest of tar covered telegraph poles and overhead cables.
zap
--------------------

peasblossom

This is the most useful description I've come across thus far. Be prepared to bat away cookies and newsletter subscription windows to read it. Worth it though.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/news/heres-what-happened-when-i-had-full-fibre-broadband-installed/

zappaDPJ

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 06, 2024, 22:02:17
This is the most useful description I've come across thus far. Be prepared to bat away cookies and newsletter subscription windows to read it. Worth it though.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/news/heres-what-happened-when-i-had-full-fibre-broadband-installed/

A couple of things that really stood out, one good, another not so good.

The good: 'so I nabbed a 150Mbps package for £19.99 per month...'

The not so good: Take a look at the incoming cable. I wouldn't be happy if anyone drilled a hole through my uPVC frame and you can clearly see there's no cable clamp inside or out.

zap
--------------------

Simon

Thanks for that, PB.  Again, that's an installation that seems to have gone without a hitch, as the Fibre network was already installed on the estate.  I'm guessing it was probably a fairly new build property. 

One thing I didn't like from those pictures was that he'd appeared to have drilled though a corner of a PVC window or door frame.  Not only does the hole look tatty and unsealed, it also looks significantly bigger than the cable.  Also, having just had new windows fitted in my place, I'll be buggered if I'm going to let anyone drill through them!
Simon.
--

peasblossom

I confess that was a big no no for me too. Brickwork yes. uPVC window frame? Never. Ever.

Simon

A development!   Well, kind of.

Another pair of guys have just been out, to reassess for tomorrow's dig.  In fact, they seem to have managed to get further than the other guys and have said the 'blockage' is probably just congestion and getting around a T point in the existing ducting.  So, I'm hoping they won't have to dig up the lawn after all.

Further, the guy said they could probably fit some sort of data gizmo to the existing wiring in the outside cupboard downstairs, as apparently there is already Gigabit data cabling there.  This would then feed to a gizmo upstairs and there wouldn't be any need for drilling through.  In theory. 

I asked if that's what they could definitely do, and he said it depends who comes out to do the internal stuff.  But I've got this guy's phone number so he said to call him if there's a problem and he would advise the internal installers.
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Simon

Well, they came, they saw, and after seven hours of digging up first the pavement, then the driveway, then the lawn, they finally conquered and I have a fibre cable where I wanted it in the downstairs back cupboard. 

All that remains now is for the next lot to come out and fit the ONT, and then somehow get the connection upstairs into the flat.
Simon.
--