FTTP New Installation Process

Started by armadillo, Sep 15, 2023, 19:05:54

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

🎉 🎉Tentative celebration, Simon. What a saga this has been.

Clive

Well done Simon, your patience has paid off!  These FTTP people are a determined breed and I'm sure it will be up and running within days.  Make sure you get the names and contact details of the installers if you can. 

Simon

Just a quick further update - another guy came out just now to check the cable installation, and has signed it off for the next stage.

We discussed the internal install, and I've got to buy an Ethernet faceplate and ends off Amazon, so that the engineer can convert one of my upstairs phone sockets into an Ethernet port, which will then connect to the box downstairs.  I can connect the new router to the new Ethernet port and thus hopefully avoid any necessity for drilling holes.

The only issue is, I will lose the copper phone terminal for that room upstairs, but as I have two other copper phone sockets, hopefully they will both still work and it will just mean having the DECT base in another room, until I switch to VoIP.

I'm now in two minds as to whether to just go all in and swap to VoIP now, so I've asked IDNet how long it would actually take to swap over to their UBOSS service. 

All of the above is dependant on a competent engineer showing up to do the internal job.  Apparently, some of them are purely fibre installers and haven't worked with copper.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Apr 16, 2024, 19:18:54
and I've got to buy an Ethernet faceplate and ends off Amazon, so that the engineer can convert one of my upstairs phone sockets into an Ethernet port, which will then connect to the box downstairs.
I assume that means running a new cable?
zap
--------------------

Simon

Apparently not.  It seems there is already a gigabit cable present, as confirmed by two different OR engineers, so my understanding is they will fit one of the RJ45 'ends' to the existing cable downstairs, and the ONT will connect to that.  The new faceplate then replaces my current telephone faceplate upstairs, which will connect to the ONT downstairs, and the router will then connect to the new faceplate, forming the link to the ONT.  So, basically, if all goes to plan, they'll be using the internal cabling, thus negating the need for any drilling. 

What makes me a little skeptical is the question as to why the property would have been equipped with gigabit wiring when it was built 20 years ago.  Was gigabit even a thing then?
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Apr 17, 2024, 01:08:37
Was gigabit even a thing then?

Just about. I think Gigabit Ethernet became mainstream around 20+ years ago.

zap
--------------------

Simon

The internal work has been confirmed for this Friday.  :wimp:
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Sending you positive vibes, Simon. Maybe some for OR too, in the hope that it goes smoothly.

Simon

I've since had automated phone messages saying it had been changed to Monday and then another one saying it had been put back to Friday.  I'm trying to get IDNet to clarify when exactly they are coming.  :facepalm:
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

When I think of OpenReach this tune is always playing along in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcq_xLi2NGo
zap
--------------------

Simon

Quite!  It's been confirmed for Friday...  for now.

It's been nice knowing you all...  :facepalm:
Simon.
--

Simon

We're there!   :yeay: :yeay: :yeay: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

The guy arrived around 8:15am, and I thought there was going to be a problem as despite all the notes being sent through about requiring a copper trained installer, he wasn't, and really didn't have a clue about connecting the Fibre to the existing gigabit wiring. 

So, I grumbled a bit, not that it was his fault, then he made some phone calls (and I spoke to one of the previous guys who'd been out), and after about half an hour, another engineer turned up who was copper trained, and has managed to wire things up as I wanted. 

So, now I have Full Fibre up and running at an average of about 107Mbps on Speedtest.net, and I still have my old copper landline working for the time being.  All the wiring was internal, so NO DRILLING!!   :D :D
Simon.
--

nowster

Somebody must have put in Cat5 cabling in the past. (Cat5 can just do 1000BaseT.)

Simon

One thing I've noticed is that the TP-Link VX230v router seems to be putting out WiFi 6, but speeds with that are slower than on 'normal' WiFi.  Is this normal?  I've turned off the WiFi on the router as it's better through my existing TP-Link mesh system.
Simon.
--

nowster

It's probably using a frequency that's already being used locally, or using the older system forces it to use a more robust 2.4GHz signal.

In my experience 5GHz and higher are only truly reliable in the same room as the router (depending on what your walls are made of).

Simon

So, I'm not losing out by not using WiFi 6 then?
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Simon

Quote from: peasblossom on Apr 19, 2024, 18:14:45
:dance: :dance: :clap1: :clap1: :congrats: Simon.

Thank you!  If nothing else, this thread will be an experience to look back on!   :laugh:
Simon.
--

john7

I fallowd this thread with interest as we were migrating to cut the telephone costs.  One disappointment I have found is IDNet is now using the misleading speed estimates in there claims. I went for a 550 up and 550 down. Only to be told there is no speed guarantee with the up (I get under 100Mb) with a 200 guarantee for the down (not a very good one but as I am getting nearly 600 I can't complain at that). Its a disappointment that this old rather misspelling is still going on and even more that its IDNet doing it or must be knowingly passing on the speed misinformation (I have been told others using different providers going through the same fiber firm get the same disparity as I am getting so it must be known to be an unlikely up speed to all the firms selling the products).

Simon

Is it even possible to get 550 upload speed?
Simon.
--

Simon

Just a quick update on mine - all seems stable and I'm getting an average of 107/22 on a 115/20 connection, so that's not bad. 

I also apparently have incredibly low latency, at a steady 5ms.
Simon.
--

john7

Quote from: Simon on Apr 30, 2024, 18:14:09
Is it even possible to get 550 upload speed?
I have no idea (on this sort of product) if it is but clearly its not expected given there is no minimum speed given. I thought these over hyped speed claims had been clamped down on by Ofcom but clearly there are gaping loop holes left showing the regulators are doing there job of protecting the industry not users as usual.

Clive

:congrat4:  Simon in joining the Fast Club.   :thumb:

Simon

Quote from: john7 on May 01, 2024, 09:16:45
I have no idea (on this sort of product) if it is but clearly its not expected given there is no minimum speed given. I thought these over hyped speed claims had been clamped down on by Ofcom but clearly there are gaping loop holes left showing the regulators are doing there job of protecting the industry not users as usual.

I think there may be some confusion, John.  The packages IDNet offer are:

FTTP 55/10
upto 55 Mbit/s Downstream
upto 10 Mbit/s Upstream

FTTP 160/30
upto 160 Mbit/s Downstream
upto 30 Mbit/s Upstream

FTTP 330/50
upto 300 Mbit/s Downstream
upto 50 Mbit/s Upstream

FTTP 1000/115
upto 900 Mbit/s Downstream
upto 115 Mbit/s Upstream

What package did you actually order?
Simon.
--

Simon

Quote from: Clive on May 01, 2024, 10:50:27
:congrat4:  Simon in joining the Fast Club.   :thumb:

;D

They're digging up the road again nearby - another fibre company laying more cables.  They'd better not mess mine up!   :eyebrow:
Simon.
--