VOIP phones

Started by Clive, Dec 22, 2023, 10:52:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

My aging Panasonic landline phones work quite well with my new FTTP router with very little loss of performance.  Does anyone know if a dedicated VOIP phone system would make any improvement?   :dunno:

Simon

I have a Siemens Gigaset base unit with two satellite phones in different rooms, so I would also be interested in this.  I'm assuming that my existing phone would work with a VoIP adapter?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

Well mine just plugs directly into the router rather than the BT wall socket. 

Clive

In fact my setup is also a Siemens Gigaset C475 base unit with two satellite phones in different rooms.  Not sure why I thought it was a Panasonic but I've only had it around 13 years.   :whistle:  My router is a ZYEXEL

Simon

Maybe mine will too then.  I ordered a new router from IDNet but it hasn't arrived yet.
Simon.
--

Clive

The engineer will set it all up for you as has to glue the ultra-thin cable around the ceiling from your wall box to where you wish your router to be sited.  He will make sure it's all working before he leaves. 

Simon

I can see that being another drama, as the entry point for the phone is in a downstairs cupboard, which is good in one way as the box will be protected, but unless they can use the existing route from there to my phone socket upstairs, it's going to be awkward mapping the fiber cable to where the router is.
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Dec 23, 2023, 20:11:18
I can see that being another drama, as the entry point for the phone is in a downstairs cupboard, which is good in one way as the box will be protected, but unless they can use the existing route from there to my phone socket upstairs, it's going to be awkward mapping the fiber cable to where the router is.
Only the ONT would be there. You can run standard ethernet cable from the ONT to the router itself. The ONT needs mains power, though.