IDNet VOIP setup Issues

Started by Swerv, Mar 01, 2024, 11:35:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Swerv

Hi all

We recently upgraded to FTTP and for various reasons could ideally do with retaining a landline, so opted also for the UBoss Basic VOIP service.

We had a Gigaset N300AIP base station and handset in anticipation of the service (our old DECT phones were very tired so thought that a new DECT VOIP phone seemed the most sensible option rather than an ATA and analogue DECT.  I also didn't want the Yealink option that's available via IDNet for various reasons.

However, we've had absolutely no luck in getting this setup.  IDNet tried to set it up with the MAC address of the unit but AFAIK the Gigaset has to be setup manually.  So they've passed on the details of the SIP username and password, the domain details, port details etc.  I've disabled SIP passthrough on our Asus RT-AX59u router as well.  However, we still can't get connected. 

Has anyone had any luck getting setup with IDNet's VOIP service and able to suggest any pointers as to what to try next?

Simon

I'm also moving to FTTP and intend to move to UBOSS in due course, but I can't help directly with your issue at this moment.

I am interested in your Gigaset N300AIP though.  Does this mean you don't need a separate ATA or a router with an FXS port?

I've ordered a TP-Link VX230v router, which does have an FXS port, and I'm hoping I'll be able to connect my Gigaset phone direct to the router when I come to switch to UBOSS.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

goldberg

My experience for what it's worth on a Draytek router:

I switched to IDNet's FTTP / CENTREX service last Autumn just before IDNET announced the UBOSS service.
IDNet successfully migrated my PSTN landline number that we'd been using for over 40 years.

A year before this I had started experimenting with VOIP using a Gigaset N300 basestation with C430HX handset, accessing the SIPGATE service.
I struggled for a while to get the Gigaset setup to work because the basestation kept rejecting my SIPGATE login details.

Then I discovered that if I copied and pasted the account name and password that SIPGATE had sent me into the relevant fields in the N300 configuration page, suddenly everything started working.  I never found out why copying and pasting worked, but typing in the details manually didn't.

Also, I expect IDNet have already advised that SIP ALG should be disabled on your router ?

When my CENTREX service went live it was initially not without problems - on some calls the calling party's voice sounded Dalek-like, almost unintelligible.  But I think this was caused by having both the Gigaset/SIPGATE service and the Yealink/CENTREX service running on the same router.
After I disconnected the Gigaset  basestation the CENTREX service has been working reliably for several months.

goldberg

Just two other points on my original Gigaset N300 setup:

On my router I fixed the IP address of the N300 basestation by adding its MAC address to a BIND list.

Also noted that my router (which does not have an FXS port) has this set by default:

Enable the First Priority for VoiP SIP/RTP
SIP UDP Port 5060

dudwell

Switchover to VOIP was supposed to happen today. I haven't had any notification or instructions from anyone so I naively imagined I would simply unplug DECT base station from BT master socket and plug it into green phone socket of my IDNet-supplied TP-Link VX230v router. It suddenly looks to be much more complicated  :eek4: I need an idiot's guide!

zappaDPJ

I'll be fascinating to hear what happens when BT/OpenReach try to get my 95 year old mother-in-law switched over :)x
zap
--------------------

Swerv

Hi all

Thanks for your replies.  I haven't had chance yet to revisit the issue - my boy's birthday got in the way and frankly I'd had enough by the end of last week.  Have reset the N300 back to factory and going to try again tonight if I get chance.  The fallback is either to ditch IDNet's VOIP service and go with another that will provide more assistance in getting setup (without needing a preconfigured device) or to get an ATA from IDNet in the interim - thankfully I have the N300A IP which at least has both analogue and IP inputs.

To answer some queries:

@simon - yes - the N300 AIP has both analogue and IP ports, so the idea being you need one fewer box i.e. no ATA.  Although as above, I might end up with one anyway! 

@goldberg - I have copied the SIP username and password direct from the IDNet communication.  So unless they've not copied it across from wherever they've got it it should be correct.  I'd be interested to compare general settings in the N300 though, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.  I have disabled SIP Passthrough, which I understand is the Asus setting for SIP ALG.  But interesting regarding your other router setting.  I'll have to dig about in the settings to see if I can find anything similar.

@zappaDPJ - exactly my thoughts!  This has the potential to become total carnage next year.  I guess the providers are banking on just dishing preconfigured ATA's out, but that's a big gamble.  And not something I'd be keen on - e.g my understanding of the Yealink system is that the MAC address route of setup just enables it to route via Yealink's own server's where the authentication takes place.  Call me a tin foil hatter but I'm not so keen on that where it's dealing with firms homed in countries where their kit is already the scrutiny of national security issues in the west...

Swerv

Ok.  So I'm still having no luck whatsoever.  AM about to reach the point of giving up to be honest.

Only thing I haven't yet tried is fixing the IP address of the N300 as per below.

Quote from: goldberg on Mar 01, 2024, 16:02:06
Just two other points on my original Gigaset N300 setup:

On my router I fixed the IP address of the N300 basestation by adding its MAC address to a BIND list.

Also noted that my router (which does not have an FXS port) has this set by default:

Enable the First Priority for VoiP SIP/RTP
SIP UDP Port 5060

Also, I don't have any sort of priority settings enabled but not sure if that will be key.

One thing I have noticed is that whenever I enter the SIP Password into the N300 - when I go back into the settings the number of *** marks is not as many characters as in the password.  Hence I'm not sure if something odd is going on here or whether that's just a quirk of the N300 interface

zappaDPJ

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Mar 01, 2024, 18:34:36
I'll be fascinating to hear what happens when BT/OpenReach try to get my 95 year old mother-in-law switched over :)x

She got a letter from BT today to inform her that she will be getting a letter with a date for the switch over. I can see me having to drive a 500 mile round trip when we lose contact :bawl:
zap
--------------------

Simon

I saw a news story about this the other day, but unfortunately I can't find it now.  It's a complete debacle, and I can't see how BT are going to manage this for the whole country by the end of 2025.
Simon.
--

dudwell

I have VOIP!! No-one notified me that the changeover had happened. I only found out when daughter failed to make contact and alerted me via WhatsApp. Changed connection of elderly Panasonic DECT base station from BT master socket to IDNet-supplied and preconfigured TP-Link VX_230v router and it just works!

Simon

That's good news, Dud!  Hopefully my Gigaset phones will work in the same way when I come to switch. 
Simon.
--

Swerv

I have outgoing calls!  Was provided with a couple more setup details by IDNet, which at first didn't seem to work.  Came back an hour later and the N300 was showing the connection as registered.

However, if I try calling the number it comes up as invalid number.  So there's work to be done yet on figuring out the incoming calls.

Simon

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Mar 12, 2024, 15:30:45
She got a letter from BT today to inform her that she will be getting a letter with a date for the switch over. I can see me having to drive a 500 mile round trip when we lose contact :bawl:

This might be of interest:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/further-agreement-with-telecoms-firms-to-protect-vulnerable-customers
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Mar 13, 2024, 20:36:42
This might be of interest:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/further-agreement-with-telecoms-firms-to-protect-vulnerable-customers

Thanks, that's an interesting read. My other half phoned BT yesterday but was told a date for the switch over has to be set before they will entertain any inquiries about a specific change over.

One thing that did occur to me is there is no mains outlet anywhere near the existing phone point so that will have to moved and that in turn will have implications for the extension phone sockets upstairs.
zap
--------------------

Swerv

So IDNet have confirmed that they don't believe there's anything at the provider end that's limiting incoming calls.

So I'm guessing it may be something firewall related.  Anybody have any bright ideas as to what I may need to look for in the router?

Simon

Does the number come up when you call a mobile from the VoIP phone? 

Just a shot in the dark, but I wondered if there might have been an error when porting the number, and incoming calls might not be reaching it?
Simon.
--

Swerv

Hi Simon

Yes the number was displaying correctly. 

However, turns out it is now working.  All I needed to do was make a proper call from it, rather than just test dialing my mobile.  I did answer my mobile but the call must have been no more than 5s.  So I called the parents last night and was on for a good half hour.  Got my dad to test it by dialling me back on their landline, and then his 2 mobiles (different networks).  All now working.

A little odd and frustrating, but nevermind.

Come this time next year I might be able to side hustle as a VOIP phone troubleshooter when the brown stuff hits the fan!  :laugh:

Simon

All these things are good to know!  Glad you got it sorted in the end. 
Simon.
--

Arctophile

Swerv

For future reference, what details did IDNet provide to you in the end apart from SIP username & password and SIP server name?

Swerv

Quote from: Arctophile on Mar 15, 2024, 10:58:45
Swerv

For future reference, what details did IDNet provide to you in the end apart from SIP username & password and SIP server name?

Hi Arctophile.  Details as follows:

The various domains were sbc.insmartcloud.com (that's SIP, Proxy, registrar)
Proxy server port 5060
Registration refresh - 120s
Outbound proxy - No

Sip Password - as provided
Sip ID - as provided
Username - as provided (this was the crucial last bit of info for me I think as the guide they provide suggests it's just the phone number and it wasn't)

They suggest that SIP ALG should be disabled.  In my Asus it refers to "SIP passthrough" and a Google search suggests that should be disabled, but in the end ours is working with that enabled.
On top of that I also bound a static IP address for the N300.  Again not sure if this was necessary as I did this before that crucial last bit of info from IDNet above, but as it's working I haven't changed this back.

Arctophile

Many thanks, that is just what I needed to know.

nowster

What's surprising about all this is that there's no encryption enabled (eg. TLS, sRTP) and all data (voice samples, passwords) is going in the clear over the net.