Internet stopped, routers all reset on their own

Started by shorn, May 07, 2024, 20:00:34

Previous topic - Next topic

shorn

Hi all,

Been having some frustrating issues today.

I have full fibre, small open reach modem going to a Google Nest router, and hardwired to several others. Been rock solid for a year or so.

Today at about midday I noticed the internet was down, but also the WiFi network had disappeared.

Had a look in the Google Home app and the network gave an error. When I tried to look at the individual routers, they all said that they had been factory reset.

Sure enough, the main router had a pulsing white light, meaning it was in set up mode.

Did a little digging and appears this has happened with Google routers before.

So now I'm trying to set them back up.

The app recognises the router and connects to it, but errors when it tries to get an internet signal.

My modem has the power, PON and LAN lights all solid green.

Not sure what I can do from here until support opens tomorrow. Any ideas?

Simon

Sorry, I don't, but it doesn't sound great that these things can factory reset of their own accord - or at the hands of Google.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

shorn

I know. They've been really really solid for a few years now.

Only after googling it today have a found posts from 2018 about this happening. I don't think Google admits as much, but certainly seems to be some cases.

shorn

Even more annoying is the fact that it's reset, means I can't even use local WiFi as there's no network and Google requires connecting to the internet to set up the network.

Means anything WiFi connected, Sonos etc, can't be used!

Simon

If a device can access the router, can you not reset it back to your usual login username and password, SSID, WiFi password, etc, so they will all connect back up again?
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: shorn on May 07, 2024, 20:00:34
My modem has the power, PON and LAN lights all solid green.

That's the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). It's not strictly a modem though many places refer to it as such.

https://neosnetworks.com/resources/blog/optical-network-terminal-ont/

shorn

To update on this, after many, many attempts are connecting the router again, it finally seemed to connect to the internet. I managed to set up all four routers/points using the same network name and password as was used previously and every appears to be up and working again.

Quite a pain and I guess I'll be on the lookout for an alternative system. 

Simon

Thanks for the update - glad you got it sorted in the end. 
Simon.
--

armadillo

Quote from: shorn on May 13, 2024, 11:33:46
Quite a pain
Just a thought....does your router not have a facility to save all your settings to a config file from which you could restore if this happens again? I have several versions of saved config for mine and it is just a few clicks to restore if I mess something up.