Uboss - Call Waiting and Voicemail

Started by Typo, May 31, 2024, 17:39:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Typo

Last month I moved over to Uboss digital voice service and I have a couple of queries regarding the use of Call Waiting and Voicemail features.

Call Waiting
The Uboss service is advertised as including Call Waiting.  However, I have been unable to get this to function.  I have dialled *43 and activated Call Waiting but callers are immediately directed to voicemail if the line is occupied by another call and there is no beep to alert me there is another caller.  How can I get Call Waiting to work?

Voicemail
Is there any way of receiving a notification when there is voicemail?  This is important as I have already missed a number of voicemail messages which were left when the line was occupied (if Call Waiting had beeped I'd have known to check).

Simon

I've yet to make the move, but I believe there are some functions and options that you can set within the router settings.

If this isn't any help, then it might be a case of IDNet activating some functions from their end.  I know when I asked about retaining my default Withheld status for outgoing calls (with an option to show my caller ID on a per call basis), they said that's something they could enable. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Typo

Thank you Simon.

I've had a look at my router settings and can find nothing in the telephony section about call waiting, nor would I expect there to be.

I think IDNet could be more helpful in providing information on feature access codes.  Here is a link I found:-

https://docs.uboss.com/docs/uboss-star-codes-feature-access-codes

You will see there are codes for enabling/disabling calling line ID delivery, but only on a per call basis.  IDNet may have to configure the default setting for you.

Note I have dialled *43 and heard the message "Call waiting activated".

The Call Forwarding codes do appear to work.  IDNet told me I would no longer be able to remotely set Call Forwarding (equivalent to the BT Smart Divert).  However, I've found I can remotely activate Call Forwarding by phoning in and going into the Voice Portal.  I haven't worked out how to change the forwarding number remotely, perhaps this isn't possible.

Simon

You seem to be further down the line than I am, no pun intended.  I'd suggest a call to IDNet regarding the Call Waiting issue, as it could be something they need to configure at their end.

My main concern with switching to Uboss, or indeed any VoIP service, is that I seem to get a lot of spam and phishing phone calls on my existing landline, and I have a CPR Call Blocker which does a very good job, but this is powered by the existing PSTN line, and does not have a power supply of its own, so it means I will have to manually transfer all of the blocked numbers into the router call blocking settings, which would be a painstaking process.  There also seems to be no easy way to block a number from a handset code, so it would mean entering into the router settings each time I need to do this.  Of course, I could buy a specific VoIP phone, which would have all the bells and whistles on it to configure the call settings, but I have a fairly new Siemens Gigaset Trio set, which I have no other need to replace.
Simon.
--

Typo

Hi Simon, it appears you were right.  Call Waiting hadn't been enabled in the TP-Link VX230V router.  It's tucked away at the bottom of the Telephony >> Telephone Number >> Advanced settings.

I received this router pre-configured from IDNet (although I had to phone them and get them to login remotely to set the telephony settings).  I think this should probably be configured to enable call waiting by default, but then some people may prefer callers to go straight to voicemail.

Simon

Simon.
--

Typo

It's not completely sorted.

When there's a call waiting I cannot switch between calls using the Recall button (Flash) on my analogue phones.  If I want to take the other call I have to hang up on my current call and wait for the phone to ring from the second caller.  This may be due to the TP-Link VX230v modem/router not supporting Flash.

Rather than getting a new router I had ordered the Grandstream HT801, but IDNet were unable to supply this.  The HT801 has more configuration settings and appears to support Flash - something to consider if using Call Waiting with analogue phones.

Simon

I don't think I'd need to use Call Waiting (let the caller wait! ;D), but I guess it would work as it should if you had an actual VoIP phone with all the bells and whistles.

IDNet do say they will only support phones they have supplied, but I'm assuming my Gigaset Trio would work OK, albeit with some fiddling about in the router each time I want to block a number. 
Simon.
--

Terryphi

Quote from: Typo on Jun 07, 2024, 10:52:11
It's not completely sorted.

When there's a call waiting I cannot switch between calls using the Recall button (Flash) on my analogue phones.  If I want to take the other call I have to hang up on my current call and wait for the phone to ring from the second caller.  This may be due to the TP-Link VX230v modem/router not supporting Flash.

Rather than getting a new router I had ordered the Grandstream HT801, but IDNet were unable to supply this. 
IDnet were unable to make Grandstream HT801 work for me with UBOSS and analogue phone. Maybe this is why IDnet were now "unable" to supply Grandstream HT801. I ended up with the TP-Link VX230v  which was configured remotely by IDnet and works satisfactorily with my DECT phones but I do not need call waiting. From my personal experience I would recommend avoiding the HT801 like the plague.

Simon

Just out of interest, on the TP Link VX230v, what does IDNet configure?
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Typo on Jun 07, 2024, 10:52:11
When there's a call waiting I cannot switch between calls using the Recall button (Flash) on my analogue phones.

You might need to set up the router to recognise "timed break" as flash. It's the same as dialling a 1 using a dial phone (loop disconnect signalling).

It may even be that your router needs something other than a TB flash to grab its attention (maybe something like ***). It'll be deep in the instructions if it is.

Terryphi

Quote from: Simon on Jun 08, 2024, 11:21:50
Just out of interest, on the TP Link VX230v, what does IDNet configure?
Without knowing TPLink defaults it is hard to know for sure. Obviously username and password and setting ISP List "Other". (TP Link default is Plusnet ?!)  Presumably all the other internet settings including IP Address, Default Gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS, Connection Type PPOE.

If using UBOSS, the UBOSS system telephone number (a code) which is different from your actual used telephone number (which in my case old landline number.) IDNet configured the Telephony setting remotely after I told them I had connected the router. Presumably they would only do this if they supplied the router.

Simon

Yes, it's the telephony part I was wondering about.  So, when you switch from PSTN to UBOSS and port your number, IDNet have to program your number into the router as code, rather than the actual number?
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Jun 08, 2024, 17:24:45
Yes, it's the telephony part I was wondering about.  So, when you switch from PSTN to UBOSS and port your number, IDNet have to program your number into the router as code, rather than the actual number?
The SIP credentials (user/password) don't have to match your phone number, and it's probably best for security if they don't.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Jun 08, 2024, 21:00:06
The SIP credentials (user/password) don't have to match your phone number, and it's probably best for security if they don't.

So, how does the router know what my phone number is to display on Caller ID?
Simon.
--

Terryphi

Quote from: Simon on Jun 08, 2024, 21:34:34
The UBOSS system does the conversion incoming and outgoing.

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Jun 08, 2024, 21:34:34
That's all handled on the server. Just like you don't have to type in the numeric IP address to look up something on the BBC website.

Typo

Quote from: nowster on Jun 08, 2024, 15:02:47
You might need to set up the router to recognise "timed break" as flash. It's the same as dialling a 1 using a dial phone (loop disconnect signalling).

It may even be that your router needs something other than a TB flash to grab its attention (maybe something like ***). It'll be deep in the instructions if it is.

I've looked through the TP_Link User Guide (161 pages) and there is nothing in it about flash or timed break or recall.  I think it probably doesn't support it.  It's not a big deal for me, as long I hear a beep to let me know there's a call waiting.