Does FTTC use PPP sessions?

Started by Simon, Sep 06, 2024, 13:29:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Asking for a friend on a different ISP, but has Fibre via OR.  They've got a green Broadband light on the (Technicolor) router, but the Internet light is red, and thus, they've got no Internet.

Is it still the same with Fibre like it was with ADSL, where you power the router off for 30 mins to re-establish the PPP session?  They've tried this a couple of times since last night with no success. 

They've also rung their ISP who have said there's a problem with OR in the area, but nothing is showing on the BT Service Status page.  However, does this still work by putting your phone number in, even if you're using a VoIP service with no BT landline?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

First thing to check is the ONT. The lights should look something like this, with PON (Passive Optical Network) light lit and the LOS (Loss of Signal) light unlit.

And the service is PPPoE. Switching off the router might work to clear down the session.

Simon

Sorry, I should have clarified, this is FTTC, but they're back on now anyway.   :thumb:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

VDSL (FTTC) uses PPPoE too. And FTTC isn't really a fibre connection. It's just marketing speak.