Since VoIP callers names form contacts not displayed on phone

Started by john7, Sep 09, 2024, 14:40:38

Previous topic - Next topic

john7

We use BT Advanced Phone Z and since changing to TP-Link router these have been working. But before changing to VoIP calls from the Address Book in the phone had there name and displayed when they called. Now my wife is forcibly pointing out since VoIP all we get is the phone numbers displayed. We are getting the numbers but in the changeover clearly something effected to ability of the phones to read the number and display the locally held information as it did when using the old analogue line.
Has anyone experience in getting this sorted?

Terryphi

I am using UBOSS with the TP-Link router and a Panasonic DECT phones. Calls from numbers in Contacts List reliably show the appropriate name. However, on one occasion a call from my daughter, who is in my Contact List, did not show her name. After a few days the problem did not recur so I assumed that UBOSS or IDNet had fixed something but I have seen a suggestion that the problem was caused by a fault at the caller's network.

nowster

If the BT phone is connected via a standard phone plug (431A) or via an adapter into an RJ11 socket, the caller ID signalling is generated by the router which performs the VoIP ATA role, and that's where you should look for the configuration to translate +44 into 0.

Arctophile

According to the manual the '+' symbol can be set on a BT Advanced Phone Z by using the '0' (zero) key.

Arctophile

nowster

My suspicion is that what you want will be in the Advanced section of the Telephone Numbers part of your TP-Link router configuration.

Advanced -> VoIP -> Telephone Numbers

Editing the current entry and expanding the Advanced block may show additional options.

If you could attach some screen shots (blanking out any login details) we might be able to help.

john7

john7

john7

Advanced now worked out how to post them!

Clive

Well done J0hn!  My motto is faint heart never won fair lady.   :D 

john7

I almost feel working out how to add things here should make getting +44 change to 0 easy. Only  getting IDNet to sort it out is proving harder!

nowster

Nothing in those screenshots seems to be of any help.

john7

Pitty as I'm not geting anywhere with IDNet an abortive change yesterday's and nothing since. I just don't understand the problem others are getting numbers starting in 0 not +44 so why can't they just do the same settings for me? I also don't understand why they thought a customers analog phone would work with international phone number's
Any way thanks for your help, BT support said it depends on the correct setup for a phone to work correctly born out by this

john7

Interestingly calls are shown on the IDNet customer dashboard as 0 not +44. They must convert them to this format if international numbers are being used on my VoIP not clear how it helps but one reason I never realized the problem as the numbers are difficult to see on the phone here as they move over the screens quite rapidly.

john7

This is getting more than frustrating. Support now say I should contact TP-Link to see what they can do. Even though they sold the router to support UBOSS and said when it was supplied by them"You shouldn't need to contact TP-Link as we will be providing the support for any devices you purchase through ourselves".
They also are ignoring that BT have repeatedly said all there current phones work with correctly set up AoIP and again said contact BT.
Worse I replaced as a test the phone with a Gigaset s850HX  and it also had the same +44 display and its was sold as a AoIP phone.

nowster

The Gigaset handset won't be VoIP. It's going to be DECT.

If you're connecting via the 431A jack socket or an RJ11 socket, it's an analogue connection. The analogue-to-digital interface is within the TP-Link router.

The handset is only going to be VoIP if it's on your WiFi and you had to program it with username/password/SIP server/etc. details.

Did IDNet supply the router? If so, did they pre-configure it for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_socket shows the 431A plug.

nowster

My guessing is that iDNet has made a decision not to provide you with CLI in the form that BT would provide.

I've just checked with an incoming SIP number I have with Internet Calls. That presents 00441632123456 as the format of the number. My SipGate number presents my server with the number format 01632123456.

I have found nothing in any TP-Link manual online which suggests that the router can mangle CLI numbers to satisfy your DECT handsets.

This is all on IDNet and how they've set up their SIP exchange software.

(As they're not currently in use, and I want them to keep live, the SipGate line currently reads back the CLI of the number that dials it, and the Internet Calls line does the old speaking clock with the voice of Pat Simmons.)

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Oct 04, 2024, 00:19:23My guessing is that iDNet has made a decision not to provide you with CLI in the form that BT would provide.

I've just checked with an incoming SIP number I have with Internet Calls. That presents 00441632123456 as the format of the number. My SipGate number presents my server with the number format 01632123456.

I have found nothing in any TP-Link manual online which suggests that the router can mangle CLI numbers to satisfy your DECT handsets.

This is all on IDNet and how they've set up their SIP exchange software.

(As they're not currently in use, and I want them to keep live, the SipGate line currently reads back the CLI of the number that dials it, and the Internet Calls line does the old speaking clock with the voice of Pat Simmons.)

So, are you saying that no Gigaset handset will display phonebook names if using UBOSS through IDNet?  Or is this issue specific to John?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

john7

Quote from: nowster on Oct 03, 2024, 23:51:22The Gigaset handset won't be VoIP. It's going to be DECT.

If you're connecting via the 431A jack socket or an RJ11 socket, it's an analogue connection. The analogue-to-digital interface is within the TP-Link router.

The handset is only going to be VoIP if it's on your WiFi and you had to program it with username/password/SIP server/etc. details.

Did IDNet supply the router? If so, did they pre-configure it for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_socket shows the 431A plug.
Hi yes supplied and set up by IDNet which is why I am so angry they just try to blame my phon/s

john7

IDNet say UBOSS forwarded all calls using +44 and its up to the phone to change that to local numbers. They feel I should change to yet another phone, no subjection as to what, to get the +44 over to UK numbers. So the router they sell isn't suitable it's the phones. To me this is rubbish and how is any normal consumer meant to deal with a phone switch over with this type of firm and mentality.

Simon

Maybe it would be cheaper to look at other VoIP services, than to replace your phone(s)?  Though, I guess it would be pot luck without some prior research into how their caller ID works. 
Simon.
--

Simon

I don't know if this is significant but I've just called my landline from my mobile using +44 and the correct name came up on the caller display.  This is on a Gigaset DECT C570HX.

This suggests that my landline displays the correct name from a +44 number, and it actually displays the number as 077xx xxxxxxx, so it's performing a conversion somewhere. 
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Oct 04, 2024, 00:54:51So, are you saying that no Gigaset handset will display phonebook names if using UBOSS through IDNet?  Or is this issue specific to John?
I think they've made a mistake on John's config.

nowster

Quote from: john7 on Oct 04, 2024, 11:08:42IDNet say UBOSS forwarded all calls using +44 and its up to the phone to change that to local numbers. They feel I should change to yet another phone, no subjection as to what, to get the +44 over to UK numbers. So the router they sell isn't suitable it's the phones. To me this is rubbish and how is any normal consumer meant to deal with a phone switch over with this type of firm and mentality.
This is balderdash and is totally contrary to how other people do it. I'd suggest you move your phone service to someone else if they can't fix it.

Even Andrews & Arnold is cheaper (£1.72/month) than IDNet for this service, which is unusual.

john7

It's certainly  one of the more sensible options. I will have to get them to unlock the router they sold me to use that with a new VoIP