Since VoIP callers names form contacts not displayed on phone

Started by john7, Sep 09, 2024, 14:40:38

Previous topic - Next topic

john7

To be honest I have no idea.At 80 I just whant  phones that work and when we have sorted out the stuff to with my brothers death will look.for a simple solution which h looks to move supply

john7

Sorry  gave it some thought, it would depend on if it could convert +44 into "normal domestic " numbers. I have an old 100 and the manual has nothing I can see that would do that but a latter one might. I am looking at just paying for another plug in adaptor and let who ever I move to sort it all. Non of them will as far as I can see will get onto the router IDNet sold me and make the changes for me. The whole problem is them using /selling  a product for domestic use that isn't suitable for such use with normal phones. Then washing there hands saying it's up to you to find a way if geting it to work.

talos

Quote from: john7 on Oct 23, 2024, 19:59:57To be honest I have no idea.At 80 I just whant  phones that work and when we have sorted out the stuff to with my brothers death will look.for a simple solution which h looks to move supply

I agree totally

Simon

Quote from: john7 on Oct 24, 2024, 09:50:45Sorry  gave it some thought, it would depend on if it could convert +44 into "normal domestic " numbers. I have an old 100 and the manual has nothing I can see that would do that but a latter one might. I am looking at just paying for another plug in adaptor and let who ever I move to sort it all. Non of them will as far as I can see will get onto the router IDNet sold me and make the changes for me. The whole problem is them using /selling  a product for domestic use that isn't suitable for such use with normal phones. Then washing there hands saying it's up to you to find a way if geting it to work.

A couple of the reviews:

Works well with my older Gigaset DECT handsets

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 20 July 2024

I recently moved from copper landline to full fibre to the premises and wanted to continue using my 10 year old Gigaset CL540 ("Dune") handsets with my new VOIP service. The N300A I/P did the trick - it actually first came out about the same time as my handsets (about 10 years ago) so they had no problem connecting to it. I had to set up the VOIP functionality manually but fortunately my VOIP provider (A&A) provided a guide for the setting up the N300 to use with their service and after 10 minutes it was all working. LINK

Does what it needs to do

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 26 April 2022

Have 3 of these now. Fairly simple to set up. 1 PSTN line and up to 6 SIP accounts - great hybrid solution. Can selectively assign 1 or more of the active lines to each handset for ringing and answering. Can assign single outgoing line to any handset, or set to select which line for every call. 3 separate answer machines.
Register up to 6 DECT handsets.
Up to 4 simultaneous calls (fixed line + up to 3 SIP)
Have Gigaset handsets registered to 2 of the base stations, with full functionality (A690HX and C430A)
Have 2 basic non-Gigaset (Panasonic) handsets assigned to 1 of the base unit. Make and receive calls OK, but full functionality (missed calls etc.) do not show on these non-Gigaset handsets.  LINK

None of the reviews I've looked at seem to mention caller ID issues, but I've not read them all. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: john7 on Oct 23, 2024, 19:59:57At 80 I just whant  phones that work
Ditto. I realised some time ago that VOIP just made my brain hurt so I've been moving all my contacts over to the mobile, and when the time comes I'll just ditch the landline.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

nowster

I only retain the landline because the number has been known in the extended family since 1971. It doesn't get any outgoing calls nowadays.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Oct 24, 2024, 11:24:51I only retain the landline because the number has been known in the extended family since 1971. It doesn't get any outgoing calls nowadays.

Mine doesn't go quite as far back, but certainly to 1984, and a number of senior family members still use it. 
Simon.
--

john7

"None of the reviews I've looked at seem to mention caller ID issues, but I've not read them all." The problem is if they used the +44 UBOSS uses or not as most VoIP firms do. If its not receiving +44 no problems, if it is can it convert to normal numbering.

We use the land line as I have hearing problems and mobile phones do not sound, for me , as well as the much louder BT phone we use. Ye=s there is also the problem of relatives scattered allover who have our land line number and some don't uses mobiles! But the big problem is my hearing, if only the NHS aids were latter generation ones that worked with the Bluetooth phones use that might help but looking at the cost of privet ones, into the £1000's is beyond me now. The add-ons I have tried have been near  useless as well as extra bits to carry about (and lose). Its a pity I can see why the NHS goes for the old much cheaper ones but an increasing % of aid users are being driven on to mobile use by the land line cut off.

Bill

Quote from: Simon on Oct 24, 2024, 11:55:19a number of senior family members still use it. 
To the best of my knowledge I am the senior family member, so I do as I damn well please and the young 'uns keep up as best they can  :laugh:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Bill on Oct 24, 2024, 11:22:06Ditto. I realised some time ago that VOIP just made my brain hurt so I've been moving all my contacts over to the mobile, and when the time comes I'll just ditch the landline.

I'm still wondering how this going to work with my 97 year old mother-in-law. She has no internet and a truly dreadful copper service that can barely support a voice call. Caller identification is essential so who is going to set that up for her?

On a personal note ditching the landline two years ago was in retrospect something I should have done many years before that. I appreciate it's not the same for everyone but for us there was no downside, just positives.
zap
--------------------

Simon

We've had this discussion before, but I have a very poor mobile signal at home, so nearly always opted to use the landline for calls, but then I discovered WiFi Calling, which improves mobile reception hugely, but of course, like VoIP, it doesn't work in a power cut.

I did purchase a small backup UPS, which I intended to use to keep the router going in the event of a power outage, but I haven't got round to setting it up yet.  ::)
Simon.
--

nowster

Quote from: Simon on Oct 24, 2024, 14:05:27I did purchase a small backup UPS, which I intended to use to keep the router going in the event of a power outage, but I haven't got round to setting it up yet.  ::)
At Dad's in rural Wales it's an APC (Schneider) Back-UPS XS 700U, powering the router (a Raspberry Pi 4), the ONT, and a GL.iNet Opal travel router set up as a WiFi access point. The other WiFi APs in the house are not on the UPS.

This guarantees a WiFi signal in the kitchen.

Estimated runtime is in excess of 4 hours, but I had to make sure the UPS was set NOT to turn off on low power draw, otherwise it would shut off after about 5 minutes.

The battery is replaceable in about 5 minutes (though there are no official instructions on how to do that).

When we do transition the landline to VoIP, I'll have the VoIP ATA be UPS-powered, which should allow the two hard wired phones in the house to still work when the power's out.